Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Protecting SFG from a tropical storm? Toplef10Protecting SFG from a tropical storm? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Protecting SFG from a tropical storm? I22gcj10Protecting SFG from a tropical storm? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Protecting SFG from a tropical storm? Toplef10Protecting SFG from a tropical storm? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Protecting SFG from a tropical storm? I22gcj10Protecting SFG from a tropical storm? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Protecting SFG from a tropical storm?

5 posters

Go down

Protecting SFG from a tropical storm? Empty Protecting SFG from a tropical storm?

Post  ahbishop 6/5/2013, 10:36 pm

Hi All!

My SFG is a little large - 5x8. What can I do to protect it from relaly strong wind and rain? My little plants are still young and I don't know if they would make it through a storm. Protecting SFG from a tropical storm? 1280598131

I look forward to hearing from everyone! Very Happy
ahbishop
ahbishop

Female Posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Protecting SFG from a tropical storm? Empty Re: Protecting SFG from a tropical storm?

Post  littlejo 6/6/2013, 9:50 am

To be honest, not much will help. I'm facing that right now as you may be in the next few days. Strong winds are the culprit. I used to try with plastic, and the wind would just pull it off, nothing I could do as far as attachments.
The rain, well, may be a problem but most plants can handle it. MM drains real well and the plants will like it. If your plants are real tiny, just been put in the ground, you might dig them and put in a pot til it passes, but, anything planted from seed, beans, squash, melons, etc will be fine.
One thing you can do, if your garden is real dry, water before the storm hit. This might prevent the mm from blowing away if you get wind before it rains.
We have had 8 in. rain with more expected as this tropical storm goes up the coast. It is supposed to pass here on Fri. AM. The worst of a tropical storm is not the storm, but the tornados that it can spawn, and there is not a thing to be done for a tornado. A storm shelter for a SFG! Great idea but Mother Nature rules in that too!
Good Luck, Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Protecting SFG from a tropical storm? Empty Re: Protecting SFG from a tropical storm?

Post  ahbishop 6/6/2013, 9:54 am

LOL yeah, i guess a storm shelter is silly - this is all part of gardening! haha Protecting SFG from a tropical storm? 3170584802

Pretty much all my plants were started from seed because when I transplanted them they all died haha.

ahbishop
ahbishop

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/6/2013, 12:40 pm

When I've had storms and my plants were small I put windows over the sunken beds and held them down with rocks and boards. Most often it worked but once I ended up out hunting for my windows in the neighbors yards. Rolling Eyes Also, I think bungie cords attached to eye screws (is that even what they are called?) would be a safer bet for securing the windows since there's a chance that the boards and rocks could go flying.

And one time I had a small plastic hoop tunnel over my beds and thought for sure it would go flying, especially since the plastic was held onto the hoops with clothes pins. But it held tight with only one unimportant clothes pin coming off. I was so surprised. cheers

So I guess the lessons I learned are do what you can and have no expectations.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  johnsonjlj 6/6/2013, 3:48 pm

If you get anything like what we're getting, it's not going to be a big wind event. More rain than anything at this point (which my garden is LOVING), but we'll have to see what the next few hours bring. Andrea is still offshore and expected to make landfall within the next few hours. Projected path is within about 20 miles of my house in NE Florida- I live about 8 miles from the intersection of Interstate 10 and Interstate 75. I'll keep you posted!
johnsonjlj
johnsonjlj

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/6/2013, 8:25 pm

I put some of he buckets in the southwest corner of created by the deck and the house. The rest will have to take its chances. I best I could do was put away loose stuff that might blow into them or the house. I hope you are right about the wind. Already getting some rain.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  johnsonjlj 6/6/2013, 10:13 pm

Andrea has lready passed over us. Had they not told us it was a tropical storm, I would have never known. We get worse weather from cold fronts. Just rain and a little wind, but nothing to worry about. Didn't even need to put trash cans and things away. Now I just hope these days and days of rain isn't going to allow powdery mildew to run rampant!!!
johnsonjlj
johnsonjlj

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 6/6/2013, 11:58 pm

Andrea is passing us as I write, just lots of rain. There was a tornado take off a roof a few miles down the road from us, but, no wind here. Expected to be out of SC by 8AM.
My garden is getting a much needed drink!
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  ahbishop 6/21/2013, 12:58 pm

I'm a little late to reply!  I agree that was just a normal old storm.  however it did snap my healthiest tomato plant in half.  But the good news...I mounded it and after a few days of looking just pitiful, it turned toward the sun is growing strong again haha.  woo hoo!
ahbishop
ahbishop

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down