Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
gardening Adventures - Page 2 Toplef10gardening Adventures - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

gardening Adventures - Page 2 I22gcj10gardening Adventures - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
gardening Adventures - Page 2 Toplef10gardening Adventures - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

gardening Adventures - Page 2 I22gcj10gardening Adventures - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 10:20 am

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

gardening Adventures

+7
gwennifer
nurzemjd
walshevak
mschaef
Amethyst42
Chopper
LittleGardener
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

gardening Adventures - Page 2 Empty Re: gardening Adventures

Post  donnainzone5 6/24/2013, 12:10 pm

LittleGardener,

I'd try spinach and perhaps radishes, as well as lettuce and chard, in your 4"-5" of Mel's Mix.

Several years ago I successfully grew these crops in this depth of MM after it had settled.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 6/24/2013, 3:53 pm

donnainzone10 wrote:I'd
try spinach and perhaps radishes, as well as lettuce and chard, in your 4"-5" of Mel's Mix.
Thanks Donna.
But we're working from 2 different positions; and for two reasons I had to make a decision:
1. Wait an indefinite time before I can $perpetually...afford$ Vermiculite, Peatmoss, & 5+ items of compost.
OR
2. as I mentioned last year, do I plant in just the compost I can make naturally... as I do now? because of necessity we eat now, & in the meantime.

Apparently, (+ from most threads I read, most think nothing of paying $15 to several hundred Shocked dollars for this contraption & that tool, & whatever latest invention) readily having $ to have fancy wood-boxes built, plus add all this stuff inside). BUT against such financial-luxury/hobbies, is our reality. Our reality is that we GARDEN with whatever natural resources plentifully available: incldg. making compost as fast as we are able, of
-> Produce-scaps incldg. what they throw away at a farmer's market, plus
-> Coffee-grounds thrown away at the store, plus
-> Animal-waste from whatever source we can, plus grass, leaves, & paper, plus
-> Tree-chips covering: Can you understand, Donna?

2. Too, tho I'm fairly open to eat most anything, a few things I'm not wild about (chard + radishes).
And spinach we already have lots of. And Lettuce, I'm more replacing with KALE of much higher Smile Nutritional value...

So back to my twice-repeated question: How could I afix containers to the South-fence, for growing the Beans, + Squash, etc. as Vining...veggies because these have been sitting outside for some weeks... patiently needing their home... Thank you! Smile

PS: Also I read in Mel's ANSFG-book that his goal is ending world hunger, as in (3rd. countries, which the usa is shockingly becoming too). So how, with zero money do the people of Africa, etc. get access to & replenish their Mel's Mix supplies? - Has this question ever been asked? Call me curious... Wink
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/24/2013, 4:13 pm

LittleGardener wrote:...So back to my twice-repeated question: How could I afix containers to the South-fence, for growing the Beans, + Squash, etc. as Vining...

PS: Also I read in Mel's ANSFG-book that his goal is ending world hunger, as in (3rd. countries, which the usa is shockingly becoming too). So how, with zero money do the people of Africa, etc. get access to & replenish their Mel's Mix supplies? - Has this question ever been asked? Call me curious... Wink

Tie the boxes to the fence with big loops of baling wire.  If the chain link flexes too much, put wood scraps between the boxes and fence to spread the weight out.  Or, put the boxes in front of a post to help with the weight.

Another way: the fence tension bars are either round or flat.  If you can scrounge some of  those, they can be bent to create big 'S' hooks; adjust the shape of the 'S' to fit the shape of the box.

In poorer countries they grow in compost only, is what I understand.  They may have no money, but they have one thing American gardeners are short of: patience.  Patience to find  compost sources, and wait for the piles to finish composting.  Patience to explore their surroundings and creatively make do with what can be found to make boxes (rocks, etc.)  There's no reason it can't be done here too.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 6/24/2013, 5:11 pm

boffer wrote:
Tie the boxes to the fence with big loops of baling wire.  
If the chain link flexes too much, put wood scraps between the boxes and fence to spread the weight out. Or, put the boxes in front of a post to help with the weight.
Another way: the fence tension bars are either round or flat.  If you can scrounge some of those, they can be bent to create big 'S' hooks; adjust the shape of the 'S' to fit the shape of the box.
Thanks! Boffer, for (as opposed to waiting for some nebulous pie), meeting me in our :)reality, building good rapport.
Fortunately, I found some short & treated end-piece 4x4's Smile in the shed. Maybe drive nails thru the boxes, into the posts, & use 'Baling wire, or tension-bar S-hooks' to hold the whole thing to the fence, right? Also I found in there varying pipe thicknesses: what's the thinnest S-hook that could Secure all that weight?

Will ask same neighbor (I cooked the food for last night) to help me get this set-up pronto! - Also they're helping with a wagon-project, to haul all the wood-chips around I hope to start+Add soon.
boffer wrote:
In poorer countries they grow in compost only. They may have no money, but they have one thing American gardeners are short of: patience.  Patience to find compost sources, and wait for the piles to finish composting.  Patience to explore their surroundings and creatively make do with what can be found to make boxes (rocks, etc.)  There's no reason it can't be done here too.
Yeah, I wanna do everything right now this second instantly cheers LOL so truth be told, since I need tons more compost than we have, I'm continuing grandpa's way of just digging unfinished compost into the existing growing spaces, complete with giving the plants continuous Laughing pep-talks, lol & so long as daily... I see sumfing new pop-up flower I am happy!
=
okay next question: When plants are sprouted, not quite in the "right season", (& the weather changes anyway, more than less Controlling adventures), what could be grown inside? - iow, so long as there's a French-door & window they can get Fresh-air from, can plants (like they do in outside greenhouses) also grow inside a normal people house? Does this make sense, Boffer?
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/24/2013, 5:29 pm

LittleGardener wrote:...Fortunately, I found some short & treated end-piece 4x4's :)in the shed. Maybe drive nails thru the boxes, into the posts...
Not sure if this is what you meant, or another idea: either with the scrap 4x pieces or 2x pieces: put them on the other side of the fence, and put screws through the box and fence hole, into the scrap wood.

LittleGardener wrote:When plants are sprouted, not quite in the "right season", (& the weather changes anyway, more than less Controlling adventures), what could be grown inside? - iow, so long as there's a French-door & window they can get Fresh-air from, can plants (like they do in outside greenhouses) also grow inside a normal people house? Does this make sense, Boffer?
They would, but  very slowly.  We just don't get enough sunshine in our neck of the woods in the off-season.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 6/24/2013, 6:06 pm

LittleGardener wrote:...Fortunately, I found some short & treated end-piece 4x4's :)in the shed. Maybe drive nails thru the boxes, into the posts...
boffer wrote:
Not sure if this is what you meant, or another idea: either with the scrap 4x pieces or 2x pieces: put them on the other side of the fence, and put screws through the box and fence hole, into the scrap wood.
ooh,
that's an idea, Thanks! - tho the other-side belongs to another family, whose Grape-arbor would hide the whole thing. Those (LONG grape-vines, which in the fall they gladly also let me compost.. we're talking lots! of huge Smile leaves). Which during the summer also unfortunately Shade our plants, even as it is a South-fence. - No, what I meant is nailing the plastic boxes on TOP of the 4x4's, and then fasting this entire construction together to the fence, using the J-pipe set-up you suggested.
Maybe
I need to set this up against a South-window, and set the 4x4's INside the construction-blocks?, but there veggies might end-up prematurely cooked... OR would you rig this system up against the Shed-siding, or just let them sprawl on the ground?

LittleGardener wrote:When plants are sprouted, not quite in the "right season", (& the weather changes anyway, more than less Controlling adventures), what could be grown inside? - iow, so long as there's a French-door & window they can get Fresh-air from, can plants (like they do in outside greenhouses) also grow inside a normal people house? Does this make sense, Boffer?
boffer wrote:They would, but  very slowly.  We just don't get enough sunshine in our neck of the woods in the off-season.
Ok, but what if they're growing in two each of South, & West-facing windows? - Normally I wouldn't consider this, but the house is also way over-insulated so the air in here is very dry, so their moisture might add good stuff. Do you think it's worth trying Boffer?
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/24/2013, 7:42 pm

LittleGardener wrote:...Ok, but what if they're growing in two each of South, & West-facing windows? - Normally I wouldn't consider this, but the house is also way over-insulated so the air in here is very dry, so their moisture might add good stuff. Do you think it's worth trying Boffer?

If the price is right, and you have the room, why not try it.  Keep in mind that the more leaves a plant has, and the bigger the leaves are, the more transpiration that you'll get.  Go big!
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 6/25/2013, 1:15 pm

LittleGardener,

I apologize for not paying closer attention to your context. Embarassed

You're right; Do the best you can with what you have. Your homemade compost sounds great! As Boffer said, people in third-world countries grow in compost only.

I admire your ability and determination to garden with limited resources and look forward to stories and pictures of your success.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 6/26/2013, 1:16 am

donnainzone10 wrote:LittleGardener,
I apologize for not paying closer attention to your context.  Embarassed
You're right;  Do the best you can with what you have.  Your homemade compost sounds great!  
As Boffer said, people in third-world countries grow in compost only.  
I admire your ability and determination to garden with limited resources and look forward to stories and pictures of your success.  
Thanks Donna for understanding. In my mind determination is the ability gardening Adventures - Page 2 1787710427 And thank Goodness the companionship of The Best wave smile Friend empowers & enables us to develop & grow more each day. Thanks for your continued Smile encouragements everyone!
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 6/26/2013, 3:00 am

Boffer,
had me another LOA Embarassed of mind. NOpe, a house can't sadly be a BIG-leaf Greenhouse because of the mold that inevitably grows to where it can't be eradicated, & then the house value plummets Shocked even more than the gardening Adventures - Page 2 3555472862 economy destroys it.  
=
Today I found a 6 ft. 2x2 by our house, so the tallest (3 ft) 'yellow-pear' cherry tomato is now staked to it under the only South-facing window. The fact that for the past month, this space has been blessed with like 10+ sunny hrs. sun... is why I want to grow as many plants as possible of warm-weather veggies there: Please estimate... how many of these could this 3x5 foot box accommodate: a lemon-boy cherry tomato, 3 Pole beans, 4 sweet Bell peppers, 3 loong cukes, & 2 Butternut squashes.

The assembled growing space against the East-shed wall is the same 3x5 foot box as the above, with currently 4 cherry tomatos: (2 each of Sweet-million, & Sugar-lump) one in each corner; plus 6 broccoli plants. Would any of these 8 current plant types have enough space in the 4-6 inch holes (of the construction-blocks) making up these 2 existing beds? Only parsley & petunias are growing in these holes so far.

When I get all the plants finally where they might best flourish, I'll have them grow up twine attached to hooks fastened to the eaves. (far more economical, than pvc-pipe set-up).

Too I was given some 2-4 mil clear plastic trash bags, so how would you go about taping some of these together to make a temporary cold-frame, or Greenhouse?

Thank you for your continued insights Smile Boffer & anyone else.
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 7/4/2013, 11:33 pm

Much progress this past week: Goals met, & even exceeded Very Happy New friendships formed thanks , & even the garden is happily gardening Adventures - Page 2 370856013 marching... on: Now growing Broccoli, Brussel-sprouts, Cabbages, Cauliflower, Cucumbers, Onions, Parsley, Pumpkins, Squash, Tomatoes, & Watermelon, for now... Yup, sprouting yet more seeds flower
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/5/2013, 6:41 pm

You sure sound like you are having some great success LittleGardener!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 7/5/2013, 10:22 pm

Triciasgarden wrote:You sure sound like you are having some great success LittleGardener!
Yes, thanks Tricia. - Now with my twice-daily pep-talks cheers watching all the little fruits growing: 20 baby cherry maters, 3 sweet peppers, both Parsley plants are trying to survive my haircuts, that's it so far. Pretty good considering I only started planting last month (several months after everyone else in the pnwet Wink )

Today balancing on top of a foot-stool, I stacked on top of a step-stool, I risked What a Face life & limb, to hammer 6 nails 2 feet apart into shed & house eaves, followed by rigging up String for the first 6 Cherry-tomato vines to stretch up, Up & away towards the sky Like a Star @ heaven -- And watching them do this, are the next set of maters :cherry:rooting... in south window. Now, if only I can God to quickly... get me more Compost, I'll have it made flower 

One of the Bell pepper babies, has turned black even as it's still growing... is there such a thing as Black sweet peppers? Never heard of it.

And re Cucumbers & Squash: 8 plants are loaded with blossoms, even es the plants are only 4 inches tall.
Are they big enuf to already start bearing fruit at this stage in their development?

Dreaming of the little Greenhouse I will get to build in the fall to stretch-out the growing seasons. Thank you!
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 7/7/2013, 7:42 pm

Gee, sorry, no idea where I posted my question re Vermiculite. I thought I asked it here. Where did I put it?
Edit:
Answer to one of my previous questions re 'black What a Face  Bell peppers':

Plant your peppers in soil that has a high humus content so that it retains moisture. Cultivate shallowly so you don't damage the roots. Mulch newly planted peppers to preserve soil moisture.
Control
Dispose of the black peppers. Blossom-end rot is caused by unavailability of calcium, not lack of calcium, so unfortunately, treating them by adding calcium to the soil will not solve the problem. The blackened fruits are lost."
Read more: http://www.ehow.com/info_8439518_green-peppers-turning-black.html#ixzz2YPHBZvhN - so that was the problem?

Last edited by LittleGardener on 7/7/2013, 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : answer to one of my previous questions re 'black Bell peppers')
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 7/7/2013, 7:43 pm

Your topic was moved to the appropriate forum:
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t16237-vermiculite#170143

gardening Adventures - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 7/7/2013, 10:36 pm

okay, have posted there.
=
Forgot to add earlier that I've seen about 6 little Very Happy bee-type critters flying in the small Red+White clover-patch, close to where I just started watermelons, squash, & pumpkins. They each has like 4-6 golden blossoms now, on plants merely 4 inches tall. Question: How big Wink  to these plants need to get?, before they are mature enough to produce fruit... anyone know?
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2