Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
2013 Diseases, diseases and more diseases Toplef102013 Diseases, diseases and more diseases 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

2013 Diseases, diseases and more diseases I22gcj102013 Diseases, diseases and more diseases 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
2013 Diseases, diseases and more diseases Toplef102013 Diseases, diseases and more diseases 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

2013 Diseases, diseases and more diseases I22gcj102013 Diseases, diseases and more diseases 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

2013 Diseases, diseases and more diseases

+3
Windmere
Nicola
yolos
7 posters

Go down

2013 Diseases, diseases and more diseases Empty 2013 Diseases, diseases and more diseases

Post  yolos 5/31/2013, 8:21 pm

Almost all warm weather veggies I have planted already have at least one disease. All of the following diagnosis were made by the county extension agency.

Tomatoes -
Bacterial Spot - remedy to spray with copper fungicide
Bacterial Speck - remedy to spriay with copper fungicide

Cucumber and Cantelope -
Downy Mildew - remedy to spray with copper sulfate

Squash -
Powdery Mildew - remedy to spray with baking soda solution

Watermellon -
Looks to be the beginning of cucumber mosaic virus (not sure as they cannot test in this office) or it may be nutritional.

Artichoke -
Powdery Mildew and possibly Ramulaia Leaf Spot

Typical, typical of the southern gardener (at least this southern gardener)

yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

2013 Diseases, diseases and more diseases Empty Re: 2013 Diseases, diseases and more diseases

Post  Nicola 5/31/2013, 8:41 pm

Oh, my! Sounds (almost) depressing! Crybaby
How many things - total - do you have planted? Are all the remedies organic?

Nicola
Nicola

Female Posts : 220

Back to top Go down

2013 Diseases, diseases and more diseases Empty Re: 2013 Diseases, diseases and more diseases

Post  yolos 5/31/2013, 9:02 pm

Nicola wrote:Oh, my! Sounds (almost) depressing! Crybaby
How many things - total - do you have planted? Are all the remedies organic?

A little depressing but I have all these diseases every year (except this is the first year for artichokes) so I am used to battling them. This is the first year I have gotten the specific dieases and remedies confirmed by the county extension office.

I have already harvested most of my cold weather crops. Now I have the following planted and growing at this time.

8 squares of different types of herbs
18 squares of sweet peas
8 squares of carrots
8 squares of okra
24 squares of beans (red and green chinese noodle beans, bush green beans, and dragon tongue beans)
16 squares of potatoes
8 squares of bolting lettuce
16 squares of garlic and onions (dying prematurely)
4 yellow crook neck squash
3 wiskey barrels of cucumbers
2 wiskey barrels of watermellons
1 wiskey barrel of cantelope
24 tomatoes (8 diseased, 8 maybe, 8 no disease)
24 squares of strawberries

This weekend I will be planting sweet potatoes, peanuts and corn in my non sfg 4' X 32' bed.

I already had the copper fungicide. It does not say OMRI but it says for organic gardens, so maybe.
I have not yet purchased the copper sulfate (or Bordeauz Mixture) so I don't know about that. But when I left my diseased samples at the county extension office, my note to them said that I would like organic remedies if possible, so we will see.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

2013 Diseases, diseases and more diseases Empty Sweet potatoes

Post  Windmere 6/1/2013, 10:46 am

Hi yolos. I am so sorry about all the diseases your are being plagued with. Sigh. I hope the extension office can help.

I noticed you mentioned sweet potatoes. I have seen on this forum that it is too late to plant regular potatoes. Are sweet potatoes a different story? My mother-in-law loves them. I'd like to plant something special for her if I can.

Thanks.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/1/2013, 1:00 pm

Windmere wrote:Hi yolos.
I noticed you mentioned sweet potatoes. I have seen on this forum that it is too late to plant regular potatoes. Are sweet potatoes a different story? Thanks.

Sweet potatoes love the hot weather. No it is not too late to plant them. Depending on the variety, they mature in 90-120 days. The only starts I have seen for sale in this area is the Beauregard. They mature in 90 days. The skin is rose colored and the flesh is orange. I bought mine yesterday at Swint's in Jonesboro. I had to go down there cause it was the only place I could find peanut seeds.

You have to have room to grow them though. I planted mine in the front row of a 3 x 8' bed. The vines were trained toward the back of the bed where I had a cucumber trellis. They vined from the front of the bed, thru the bush beans, and then headed up the trellis.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

2013 Diseases, diseases and more diseases Empty sweet potatos

Post  walshevak 6/1/2013, 3:59 pm

I grew some in cement mixing tubs last year. Planted 5 to the tub in mid June and got 8 good sized potatos and a whole bunch of small tubers that I was able to use in soups and stews. I think I would have gotten a better harvest but the starts were root bound and already starting to form small tubers when planted. The harvest was a tangled mess. This year I got my starts early and not root bound, so we shall see.

My DIL is Filipino and wanted the plants for the purple leaf shoots to use in some of her asian dishes so we were not unhappy about the root harvest.

This year's plants next to the garlic tub.

2013 Diseases, diseases and more diseases Dscn1313

last fall
2013 Diseases, diseases and more diseases Dscn1110

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

2013 Diseases, diseases and more diseases Empty Thanks yolos

Post  Windmere 6/1/2013, 6:08 pm

yolos wrote:
Windmere wrote:Hi yolos.
I noticed you mentioned sweet potatoes. I have seen on this forum that it is too late to plant regular potatoes. Are sweet potatoes a different story? Thanks.

Sweet potatoes love the hot weather. No it is not too late to plant them. Depending on the variety, they mature in 90-120 days. The only starts I have seen for sale in this area is the Beauregard. They mature in 90 days. The skin is rose colored and the flesh is orange. I bought mine yesterday at Swint's in Jonesboro. I had to go down there cause it was the only place I could find peanut seeds.

You have to have room to grow them though. I planted mine in the front row of a 3 x 8' bed. The vines were trained toward the back of the bed where I had a cucumber trellis. They vined from the front of the bed, thru the bush beans, and then headed up the trellis.

Thanks for your response yolos. I was thinking of going to Swint's to exchange a packet of Picotee Blue morning glory seeds belonging to my daughter. We planted them and they came up really deformed. I keep tending to them for her... but they are in terrible shape. On the other hand, the morning glories from the dollar store (.25 a packet) are doing beautifully.

Thanks for the tip. Swint's is a great resource. I enjoy visiting them.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/9/2013, 5:06 pm

Update on my diseases and now pests.

Bacterial Spot and Bacterial Speck on Tomatoes
I am using copper fungicude every 10 days. On the first 8 tomato plants I planted, the treatment has slowed down the spread of the disease but not eliminated it. On the rest of the tomatoes planted later in different parts of my yard, I think I got those in time because I have not seen any more diseased leaves. It is interesting that the paste tomatoes look to be cured but the Big Boy, Better Boy, and Early Girl are not responding to the treatment. The Brandywine is holding its own.

Downy Mildew on Cucs and Cantelope
I was supposed to use Copper Sulfate or a Bordeaux Mix (copper sulfate and hydrated lime). But I could not find copper sulfate so I used copper fungicide. It does not appear to be spreading. I will wait to see.

Powdery Mildew on Squash and Artichokes:
I never got around to spraying the baking soda solution but the powdery mildew seems to have taken care of itself (if that was what it really was). Maybe all this rain has helped.

Rumulaia Leaf Spot on Artichokes:
The extension office was not sure if this is what is affecting my artichokes. I googled looking for a cure but could not find a simple remedy. They are getting worse so I think I will cut them down to the ground and see what happens.

If the above is not bad enough, I now have some other problems:

Early Blight (I think) on my potatoes.
I get this every year and I don't like to spray anything on root crops so they are dying. Hope I get some potatoes.
2013 Diseases, diseases and more diseases Potato10

Leaf Miner on Beans:
I planted these Chinese Noodle beans 14 days ago and they are already infected with Leaf Miners. I will be spraying with neem as soon as we get a couple of days without rain.
2013 Diseases, diseases and more diseases Learf_10

Ants farming Aphids on Tomatoes:
I will spray the aphids with neem or insecticidal soap whenever the rain stops. And then start looking for the ants home and take care of them.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 6/9/2013, 5:16 pm

yolos...I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time Sad Sad Sounds like you're really trying to get thing under control. What idea do you have for the ants? I've tried everything I can think of, and they seem to come back with even MORE of their "friends". I don't care about the ants per se, but it's the aphids they're farming!! some of my plants get black with aphids. I've tried spraying with water, organic sprays (does NOTHING), the borax/sugar mixtures, and stakes, boiling water on the holes... What a Face What a Face
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/9/2013, 5:30 pm

southern gardener wrote:yolos... What idea do you have for the ants?

I have been researching it and have a lot of different directions. The quickest temporary solution seems to be to sprinkle cinnamon around the plants. Here are a few other ideas I have found.

Boric acid and sugar
Boric acid and syrup
Cornmeal and sugar
Boric acid and peanut butter
DE
Cut out an 8" circle of construction paper, smear vaseline on it, cut a hole in the center and slip it around the base of the tomato.
Put a cloth soaked in bleach or amonia over the ants trail.
Plant geranium, garlic, aster, calendula, chrysanthimum, mint - these deter ants.

I am looking for a permanent solution so I will probably try the Boric acid and syrup as soon as I can find my recipe.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 6/9/2013, 11:34 pm

What do you mean, the ants are "farming" the aphids? thinking
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 6/10/2013, 1:12 am

from what I understand, the ants bring the aphids up on the plants, then the aphids emit some sort of sweet discharge or something that the ants eat. The ants sort of tend to the aphids somehow to "milk" them of that sweet discharge, meanwhile, the aphids suck on your plants. Usually, if you have ants in your garden, you have aphids, at least so far in my garden anyway...
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/10/2013, 3:49 am

"Honey dew"
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/10/2013, 6:32 am

+1 to Southern Gardener explanation of ants farming aphids (or so I have heard).
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down