Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How much do I need to protect my garden during spring weather? Toplef10How much do I need to protect my garden during spring weather? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How much do I need to protect my garden during spring weather? I22gcj10How much do I need to protect my garden during spring weather? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How much do I need to protect my garden during spring weather? Toplef10How much do I need to protect my garden during spring weather? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How much do I need to protect my garden during spring weather? I22gcj10How much do I need to protect my garden during spring weather? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

How much do I need to protect my garden during spring weather?

+3
Wyldflower
Retired Member 1
ColoradoNatureGirl
7 posters

Go down

How much do I need to protect my garden during spring weather? Empty How much do I need to protect my garden during spring weather?

Post  ColoradoNatureGirl 4/22/2010, 6:04 pm

This is my first year gardening and I don't even have my boxes built, that's on the schedule for this weekend but we are having some really severe thunderstorms and I am already worried about the plants I have yet to plant.

What kind of things do I need to do protect them once I do plant this weekend?

Thanks for your feedback,
"Worried plant mommy" :|
ColoradoNatureGirl
ColoradoNatureGirl

Female Posts : 58

Back to top Go down

How much do I need to protect my garden during spring weather? Empty Re: How much do I need to protect my garden during spring weather?

Post  Retired Member 1 4/23/2010, 8:54 am

You can built a cover as described in the SFG book. What I did was a bit messier, but worked. My beds have become cat magnets so I built a variety of wire cages, some rectangle to fit over 3 squares and some round wrapped in newspaper to protect new tomatoes, pepper and eggplants. When a thunderstorm or light freeze was predicted I threw an old sheet over the top of everything and well anchored it around the edges. Worked very well. During one hard freeze, I laid a quilt topped by plastic to better insulate the bed with warm weather plants. All came through a 5" snow like troopers.

I don't know if it's still available, but there used to be a nifty product that was heavy plastic with a wire mesh imbedded in it. Made wonderful tunnels. But I haven't found it lately.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

How much do I need to protect my garden during spring weather? Empty Re: How much do I need to protect my garden during spring weather?

Post  ColoradoNatureGirl 4/23/2010, 8:51 pm

Thanks a bunch Belfrybat! I am hoping to get everything built this weekend and possibly start some seeds. Now I will make sure I get the protection I need to so I don't worry too much!
Thanks again! flower
ColoradoNatureGirl
ColoradoNatureGirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 4/23/2010, 11:18 pm

How are you doing NatureGirl? Did you get much snow up your way? I woke up to about a half inch - really a "nothing". I didn't cover the garden last night, since the temp was supposed to be at or just above freezing here.

I have only planted things that should be okay with a bit of cold ... brussels sprouts, spinach, lettuce, onions and peas... they seemed okay this morning - just got home and couldn't check them in the dark tonight - we'll see how things look in the morning.
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Post  ColoradoNatureGirl 4/23/2010, 11:36 pm

Hi Wyldflower!
I am doing good, really anxious to get my boxes built, filled with soil so I can plant my spring veggies. We'll see how much this weekends weather lets me get done.
We just got rain yesterday, throughout the night and this morning and then around 1 it turned to snow, we got about and inch, most of it is melted now but we are forecasted to get 3-6 tonight and into tomorrow. Ugh, I want to garden!

I am glad to hear your plants seem to have made it fine through this weather. I've seen some of your pictures, it looks great!

Do you know of any organic local seed companies? I am really trying to stay away from anything related to Monsanto or any other GM companies, want only organic and if it's local that would be even better. Since I am just starting out I thought maybe some more experienced gardeners in the area might know where I could go.

Good luck this weekend!
Stephanie
ColoradoNatureGirl
ColoradoNatureGirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 4/24/2010, 12:17 pm

HI again Stephanie

Made it through another near-freezing night without covering the plants. They are looking just fine this morning!

I don't know any truly LOCAL organic seed sources, but can recommend 'seeds of change' and 'territorial seed co.' ...

In Colorado Springs, I'm shopping for my seeds and plants at Good Earth Garden Center - but this is their only location. They carry seeds from both of the sources I just mentioned. I'd suggest you look for a small garden center in your area and see what they have. I'm starting to get to know the owner of the garden center, and he's giving me some great info about varieties that work well in this area (though he's poo-poohing the SFG method, saying the vermiculite is not necessary)
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Post  HawaiiAl 5/7/2010, 2:37 am

just ran across your post about seeds try Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds at www.rareseeds.com they are great people to deal with.
HawaiiAl
HawaiiAl

Male Posts : 27

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/7/2010, 4:13 am

I got almost all of my seeds for this year from Baker Creek. My first year trying them but they are great folks! http://rareseeds.com/
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  ColoradoNatureGirl 5/7/2010, 11:05 am

I bought most of mine this year from www.botanicalinterests.com. They are local to me and so far I have had good results with them germinating. flower
ColoradoNatureGirl
ColoradoNatureGirl

Back to top Go down

Post  robbinscabin 5/7/2010, 11:24 am

I like trying to stay local with my seeds as well. Luckily for me Harris Seeds is within two hours. I was so happy with my order this year that I even e-mailed them about my experience. I just checked the site and was surprised to see it on their testimonial page! http://www.harrisseeds.com/storefront/t-HG_AboutUs_Testimonials.aspx

Course they spelled my name wrong...but hey, if the seeds are right, who cares? LOL
robbinscabin
robbinscabin

Female Posts : 51

http://robbinscabin.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/7/2010, 11:30 am

About misspelled names from mail order..... lets you know who is selling your name to whom.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  robbinscabin 5/7/2010, 11:35 am

Oh, no, no! The only place they misspelled my name was on their website at the end of my testimonial. I read their privacy policy before I sent for my seeds. I've been a member for quite sometime and have never had any unwanted e-mails from them.

I really trust Harris Seeds.
robbinscabin
robbinscabin

Female Posts : 51

http://robbinscabin.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum