Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New Alpine SFG'er in Nordegg, Alberta, Canada Toplef10New Alpine SFG'er in Nordegg, Alberta, Canada 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New Alpine SFG'er in Nordegg, Alberta, Canada I22gcj10New Alpine SFG'er in Nordegg, Alberta, Canada 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New Alpine SFG'er in Nordegg, Alberta, Canada Toplef10New Alpine SFG'er in Nordegg, Alberta, Canada 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New Alpine SFG'er in Nordegg, Alberta, Canada I22gcj10New Alpine SFG'er in Nordegg, Alberta, Canada 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New Alpine SFG'er in Nordegg, Alberta, Canada

3 posters

Go down

New Alpine SFG'er in Nordegg, Alberta, Canada Empty New Alpine SFG'er in Nordegg, Alberta, Canada

Post  nordegggirl 4/22/2010, 2:44 pm

I'm newish to gardening and am trying the SFG method as my first forray into a real vegetable garden. Just wondering if anyone has any experience/tips on gardening in a mountain region? It was 20 degrees celcius yesterday (about 71 F) and today it is snowing. It also isn't unheard of to get a snowfall in the middle of July and August here even if its been really hot and dry before that.
Which kind of sucks because I really want to grow tomatoes and cucumbers. If you have ever had to pay $3.49/lb for tomatoes or cucumbers you can probably relate as to why I want to grow my own. I also live an hours drive away from the nearest grocery store and quite often the produce selection is less than ideal and often over ripe.
Any hints, tips, recommendations, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Oh and I also have a problem with deer. I have tried several methods that are supposed to deter deer from your garden such as double fencing, soap, cayenne pepper, commercial pest repellents, tea tree oil and water,etc. but nobody told the deer around here that these methods are supposed to work because they didn't. In fact the deer coming into my yard have aquired a taste for several plants that they are supposed to hate and not eat such as chives and garlic. They ate it ALL! And then they ate my mint and my echinacea. Now I have healthy deer with great immune systems and minty fresh breath who arrive in my yard in groups as big as 8 or 9, leave their fawns for me to babysit while the mommy deer go do what mommy deer do and then the babies eat all my bird seed. I do love the creatures but not the waste of time and money when they eat all my hardwork that I haven't been able to even try yet. Anyone else have the same or similar problems?
nordegggirl

Back to top Go down

New Alpine SFG'er in Nordegg, Alberta, Canada Empty Re: New Alpine SFG'er in Nordegg, Alberta, Canada

Post  martha 6/6/2010, 8:47 pm

Hello, Nordegggirl. I am sorry that you posted a question and got no responses. It is possible that no one else here does share your climate challenges - boy do you have challenges!

I am in a completely different area, but I was wondering about two things for you.

I don't know if an inexpensive un-heated greenhouse would be a possibility for you? I have seen some that get good reviews as low as $500. They have temperature activated vents, as protection for high temperatures. Green houses have their own challenges, as a closed system. My other thought would be hoops over your garden boxes. Especially in a climate where you can go from summer to winter and back again, if you have the ability to put on shade cloths, and frost cloths...

Anyway, if you are still here and haven't been scared away by our unintentional rudeness, check in and maybe we can come up with some help!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

New Alpine SFG'er in Nordegg, Alberta, Canada Empty Re: New Alpine SFG'er in Nordegg, Alberta, Canada

Post  Chopper 6/7/2010, 12:42 am

You certainly have your share of challenges. If not an actual greenhouse, maybe one of those SFG sized ones that fit over the box.

I do remember when I was in Switzerland in the Bernese Oberland that everyone had a small vegetable garden and they all seemed to be growing the same thing. I believe tomatoes was one of them. There are several varieties specific to cold areas and most have the word "Russian" in them. And there is always Early Girl.

I would have a plastic covered PVC pipe cage or something at the ready for those wintry summer says. I heard somewhere about sticking a candle in the ground in a covered bed to help with warmth?
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down