Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Total Newbie & Feeling Really Overwhelmed-HELP! Toplef10Total Newbie & Feeling Really Overwhelmed-HELP! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Total Newbie & Feeling Really Overwhelmed-HELP! I22gcj10Total Newbie & Feeling Really Overwhelmed-HELP! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Total Newbie & Feeling Really Overwhelmed-HELP! Toplef10Total Newbie & Feeling Really Overwhelmed-HELP! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Total Newbie & Feeling Really Overwhelmed-HELP! I22gcj10Total Newbie & Feeling Really Overwhelmed-HELP! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 12:08 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 9:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 8:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 8:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 11:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 6:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 6:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 4:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/8/2024, 12:26 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 8:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 8:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 11:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 4:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 8:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/2/2024, 12:24 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 5:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 5:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 4:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 7:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 9:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 11:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 4:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 12:16 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 2:36 pm

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 9:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Total Newbie & Feeling Really Overwhelmed-HELP!

5 posters

Go down

Total Newbie & Feeling Really Overwhelmed-HELP! Empty Total Newbie & Feeling Really Overwhelmed-HELP!

Post  qfamilyinco 5/17/2013, 10:25 pm

So we've built our boxes & I've been searching for appropriate compost to buy (I have never composted & need to use purchased compost to start off since I have none!). It has been frustrating & discouraging. So far I've found worm castings & some mushroom compost. I've been looking on craigslist for other compost sources. My confusion right now is this... a lot of posts list things as, "alpaca manure/compost," for example. But manure & compost aren't the same thing, right??

Here's one option I'm looking at: The guy said, "I have several bags of manure from my chickens and goats that makes great bedding, fertilizer, compost, soil conditioner, etc. It is mixed with small amounts of dirt and hay which makes it easier to handle and NO smell! Aged since last fall and ready to apply. Manure type is segregated so you can get what you want just goat or just chicken."

Would this work as part of Mel's Mix or not?? I'm about to pull my hair out with frustration & confusion. I saw another post about alpaca manure that said go ahead & use that (even if it's not composted?). I just make sure I want to get this right!

Thanks! thanks
qfamilyinco
qfamilyinco

Back to top Go down

Total Newbie & Feeling Really Overwhelmed-HELP! Empty Re: Total Newbie & Feeling Really Overwhelmed-HELP!

Post  camprn 5/17/2013, 10:37 pm

Yes, those would be considered types of compost. Do a search on the forum about it, there are many threads with some great info.

Don't be too discouraged, the first year is the hardest. take your time and don't beat your self up or get stressed out. DO educate yourself, do collect what you can when you can. DO make sure you have at least 5 different types of compost, besides the ones you already have that you could consider are fresh bunny or alpaca or llama poo. Composted horse stable or dairy parlor muck. Composted chicken manure or fish leavings. You still have a little time to get your growing season started off right.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t12041-from-a-year-2-novice-to-all-the-new-sfgers-or-how-to-get-past-the-fear-factor#118167

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Total Newbie & Feeling Really Overwhelmed-HELP! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Total Newbie & Feeling Really Overwhelmed-HELP! Empty Re: Total Newbie & Feeling Really Overwhelmed-HELP!

Post  sanderson 5/17/2013, 10:54 pm

Have you filled your boxes? I'm thinking that your haven't. Try your local Lowes for pre-mixed Mel's Mix, Square Foot Gardening. I stumble across it yesterday! The cost of Mel's Mix verses buying 7 products (Vermiculite, peat moss, and 5 organic sources of compost) should be reasonable. Plus you can fill the boxes immediately. That will buy you time to locate more sources of compost as you will have to continue adding blended compost between crops.

Yesterday I bought composted chicken manure at Lowe's. Last night I bought kelp and worm castings on eBay. I'm going to check out Starbux for used coffee grinds and Country Kitchen for egg shells.

Camp RN, am I on the right tract? Thanks
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  qfamilyinco 5/18/2013, 2:46 am

Thank you so much for your replies! I really appreciate it! It's good to know I'm on the right track. I was just getting SO bogged down in whether or not manure that may or may not be fully composted should be used in Mel's Mix.

I did look for Mel's Mix & found it on Home Depot's website. They don't have it in stores near me so I would have to buy it online. And shipping was $100 so I didn't really want to have to do that.

I'm feeling better now. Now on to figuring out how to compost for myself for the future!

Thanks!
qfamilyinco
qfamilyinco

Back to top Go down

Total Newbie & Feeling Really Overwhelmed-HELP! Empty special shipping price for MM

Post  walshevak 5/20/2013, 10:02 pm

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 5/20/2013, 11:09 pm

I see shipping for SoCal comes at $10/bag. A touch cost prohibitive.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down