Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Companion planting questions Toplef10Companion planting questions 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Companion planting questions I22gcj10Companion planting questions 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Companion planting questions Toplef10Companion planting questions 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Companion planting questions I22gcj10Companion planting questions 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Companion planting questions

+2
Pollinator
ETNRedClay
6 posters

Go down

Companion planting questions Empty Companion Planting & "Veggie Families"

Post  ETNRedClay 5/7/2013, 8:33 pm

I'm babysitting my 15-year-old neice and when I tried to explain companion planting, she decided they were "veggie families" -- not just as in species that are already related, but as in also the in-laws who marry in.

Since, I'm finding conflicting answers online -- radishes are good with carrots, radishes are bad with carrots, do the following make sense as veggie families planted in 4'x8' beds -- in other words in your experience, will any one plant hurt the others (or ask for a messy divorce in neice-speak)?

We know about the Four Sisters -- late corn for corn meal, pole beans for drying, winter squash, and sunflowers.

And their close cousins, the Five Sisters -- sweet corn, bush beans, summer squash, sunflowers, and parsley.

The Onion family -- leeks, shallots, carrots, radishes, celery, rosemary, petunias, and sage.

The Salad family -- peas, lettuce, spinach, carrots, radishes, marigolds, & petunias.

The Toms family -- tomatoes, peppers, cukes, eggplant, chives, carrots, radishes, borage, oregano, parsley, tarragon, marigolds, & zinnia.

The Peas family -- peas, carrots, celery, radishes, & mint.

And the Melon bed -- watermelon, cantaloupe, sweet potatoes, bush beans, and cukes.

Assuming I work out the trellising, anything jump out at you -- as in, Oh, No, don't plant THAT with THOSE.
ETNRedClay
ETNRedClay

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Companion planting questions Empty Companion planting questions

Post  ETNRedClay 5/7/2013, 8:36 pm

1) If Tomatoes should not be planted with corn, how far away is "far enough" in a high-density garden like SFG?

2) If we're rotating crops through the beds, does it make any difference if you move -- for instance -- a corn bed into a tomato bed the next year?

3) Since fennel shouldn't be planted next to anything? How far away is far enough?

4) For those with a separate perennial herb bed, do you sacrifice some perennial herbs in the "general population" of veggies because -- for instance -- oregano is good underplanted peppers? But at the end of the year, when you work your beds, you'll probably lose the perennial herb when everything else is pulled out...?

ETNRedClay
ETNRedClay

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Companion planting questions Empty Re: Companion planting questions

Post  Pollinator 5/7/2013, 9:22 pm

Ah Red Clay, you are just thinking too hard. Don't worry about what "likes" what and what "doesn't like" what. A lot of that stuff is just voodoo. You don't have to be a wizzard - just use common sense.

Some basic principles - plant together species that do well in similar conditions - sun lovers in sunny spots, shade lovers together. Don't plant tall plants where they'll block the light for smaller plants. Plant lots of nectar and pollen-rich flowers along with your veggies, to help build up your pollinator populations. And finally, there are a few plants that actually help repel pest insects - such as dwarf French marigolds with squash bugs.

I've been gardening for over sixty years, in quite a few different environments, and I've broken many of those "companion planting" so-called rules without consequences.

So relax.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/7/2013, 9:40 pm

Pollinator wrote:Ah Red Clay, you are just thinking too hard. Don't worry about what "likes" what and what "doesn't like" what. A lot of that stuff is just voodoo. You don't have to be a wizzard - just use common sense.

Some basic principles - plant together species that do well in similar conditions - sun lovers in sunny spots, shade lovers together. Don't plant tall plants where they'll block the light for smaller plants. Plant lots of nectar and pollen-rich flowers along with your veggies, to help build up your pollinator populations. And finally, there are a few plants that actually help repel pest insects - such as dwarf French marigolds with squash bugs.

I've been gardening for over sixty years, in quite a few different environments, and I've broken many of those "companion planting" so-called rules without consequences.

So relax.
+1, except I have been gardening for only about 35 years. Shocked

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Companion planting questions WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 5/7/2013, 10:41 pm

I plant an empty square, as they are harvested. I usually don't plan except for plants that require a trellis. I try to plant legumes(they get nitrogen from the air) in the different beds to be sure each bed has nitrogen. I don't plant onions near beans because the beans will have an onion flavor.

I have the book 'Carrots Love Tomatoes' by Louise Riotte. It is a good book, and it gives some reasons why you could companion plant.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 5/7/2013, 11:22 pm

I'd try to keep companion planting questions to 1 thread, for the admin. may combine them for you.

1 + 2. The reason not to plant corn with tomatoes- the corn earworm and the tomato fruitworm are identical. Planting them in same bed, 1 after the other, should not make a difference.

3. Fennel should not be planted in vegetable garden, plant by itself, could not find anything that likes it.

4. You have to be careful. Sometimes I just cut a plant stem with a knife rather than digging the roots.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Back to top Go down

Companion planting questions Empty Companion Planting/ Tomatoes and Beans

Post  Cajunsmoke14 10/20/2013, 10:04 am

I read somewhere the other day that beans and tomatoes are good companions in a SFG. That you can plant a tomato and beans in the same square.

You put the beans on the north side so they don't shade the tomatoes, and they can share the same trellis, that when the tomatoes are ready to vine or be tied, the beans will be harvested.

Has anyone heard of this?
Cajunsmoke14
Cajunsmoke14

Female Posts : 84

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/21/2013, 1:08 pm

You must be speaking of bush beans and determinate tomatoes? Because pole beans get plenty big enough to shade tomatoes. And they grow at least as fast as tomatoes too, so if they have an opportunity to shade 'em, that's just what pole beans will do.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajunsmoke14 10/22/2013, 5:56 pm

Actually I found where I read it, The article says peas and tomatoes, not beans. Thanks for the info though.
Cajunsmoke14
Cajunsmoke14

Female Posts : 84

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 10/22/2013, 6:06 pm

Cajunsmoke14 wrote:Actually I found where I read it, The article says peas and tomatoes, not beans. Thanks for the info though.
I don't know what area you're in, but, the peas that I grew in SC would sure enough shade the tomatoes. I think the thing is, both beans and peas just love MM, and so do toms. Peas, as long as they start growing in the early spring, and either have a heavy mulch or some lettuce to shade their feet, will grow well into July.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down