Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Each vegetable in one mass planting or scattered around the beds? Toplef10Each vegetable in one mass planting or scattered around the beds? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Each vegetable in one mass planting or scattered around the beds? I22gcj10Each vegetable in one mass planting or scattered around the beds? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Each vegetable in one mass planting or scattered around the beds? Toplef10Each vegetable in one mass planting or scattered around the beds? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Each vegetable in one mass planting or scattered around the beds? I22gcj10Each vegetable in one mass planting or scattered around the beds? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 6:59 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Each vegetable in one mass planting or scattered around the beds?

5 posters

Go down

Each vegetable in one mass planting or scattered around the beds? Empty Each vegetable in one mass planting or scattered around the beds?

Post  ETNRedClay 5/7/2013, 8:10 pm

I am LOVING my first-ever SFG. I love every minute of building and planting and maintaining. But the first year's plan was more like: Which bed is ready and what starts do I have this week, let's see if you will grow? Since we've had over a foot of rain in the last 30 days and it rained three times today alone, I'm spending a lot of time today trying to come up with a PLAN for the fall and next year.

I'm having trouble getting away from the ROWs mentaiity. I want to put my squares of -- for instance -- onions all together with onion-friendly neighbors nearby who have similar long-season growing habits.

But from what I'm reading, if I scatter the squares, onion pests or diseases are less likely to find everything if they find one square of onions.

Do you -- for instance -- plant onions in an onion bed for ease of caring for them? Or do you scatter squares of onions throughout the garden?
ETNRedClay
ETNRedClay

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Each vegetable in one mass planting or scattered around the beds? Empty Re: Each vegetable in one mass planting or scattered around the beds?

Post  Dunkinjean 5/7/2013, 8:23 pm

I plant according by each square or squares by the vegetable. I do try to companion planting but most of all not to plant certain vegetables that do not do well with others.
For instance I have 1 4x4 box which has a trellis on the north side between two rows that I am growing pole beans (using 4sq, 2 sq on each side of trellis-hope this makes sense). Then the other two rows of same I am growing peas. There are 2 sqs soybeans, 1 sq swiss chard, 2 sq romaine lett, 1 sq red fire lett, 1 sq spinach and 1 sq buttercrunch lett. I have 2 other 4x4 boxes of various veg.
I do rotate the 3 boxes each yr but I dont have to. I am abit OCD.
I also plant basil near my tomatoes. There are alot of variations. If it doesnt work one yr then try another way. As Boffer always said, "Its only a few seeds"
I hope this helps.
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Each vegetable in one mass planting or scattered around the beds? Empty Re: Each vegetable in one mass planting or scattered around the beds?

Post  Triciasgarden 5/8/2013, 3:07 pm

I have a 4' x 6' bed that I have cool weather crops in. I have three squares of onions in the middle of my bed. On the long ends I have peas so I can trellis them. In other squares around them I have lots of different lettuces, beets, carrots (barely planted), radishes, and cabbage. I will be planting onions in other beds also because they help deter the bad insects. I have another bed that has only potatoes in it. I have in the past put all my broccoli into one bed and probably will this year. I do rotate my beds every year though, no matter if things were all mixed up or all one type of crop.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie 5/8/2013, 3:47 pm

It depends on your plan of attack for pests. I have a small bed for some cold crops that I'll be covering w/ tulle and my other boxes mostly have like-plants together w/ deterrents planted throughout. So, I have tomatoes and peppers together w/ some dwarf marigolds, garlic and onion planted in their corners. It's more of an experiment this year (always gotta have an experiment in the garden), so we'll see how it works.
Lemonie
Lemonie

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/8/2013, 4:19 pm

Sometimes if your MM is really good along with excellent replacement compost and there is plentuy of rain Mel's spacings are too small for brassicas as they end up smothering all other plants in the adjacent squares .

Take it slowly , keep written or on your PC notes so you can look back and see how things worked out or didn't as the case may be .

Don't rely on the humans neck top computer as it is fallable to the extreme Laughing
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down