Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Attractive or invisible bunny/raccoon deterrents? Toplef10Attractive or invisible bunny/raccoon deterrents? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Attractive or invisible bunny/raccoon deterrents? I22gcj10Attractive or invisible bunny/raccoon deterrents? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Attractive or invisible bunny/raccoon deterrents? Toplef10Attractive or invisible bunny/raccoon deterrents? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Attractive or invisible bunny/raccoon deterrents? I22gcj10Attractive or invisible bunny/raccoon deterrents? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Today at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Today at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Today at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Attractive or invisible bunny/raccoon deterrents?

+6
CapeCoddess
Lindacol
RoOsTeR
camprn
slimbolen99
Katerrific
10 posters

Go down

Attractive or invisible bunny/raccoon deterrents? Empty Attractive or invisible bunny/raccoon deterrents?

Post  Katerrific 5/3/2013, 1:30 pm

Hi all! We bought a new home late last summer and now I'm planning my first SFG. Here's the issue, which I hope won't come off sounding bratty: Our backyard is on a very pretty creek, with open views to many neighbors' yards, all of which are really lovely and well kept. I don't want to break the mold! However, the rabbits and raccoons love the creek just like we do and I need to plan for them. I've seen suggestions to sprinkle things like cayenne or black pepper around a garden as a pest deterrent, and I'm curious if anyone has experience with this. Alternately, what are your most esthetically pleasing ideas for barriers? (Low-cost, of course, is the kicker. Unfortunately we've spent our "improvements" budget on the house itself.) I think the chicken wire cage in the book isn't too bad, but I'm curious if anyone has thought up anything else.
Katerrific
Katerrific

Back to top Go down

Attractive or invisible bunny/raccoon deterrents? Empty Re: Attractive or invisible bunny/raccoon deterrents?

Post  slimbolen99 5/3/2013, 1:48 pm

I go to a wholesale food supplier and buy a 5lb bag of black pepper and sprinkle liberally around the garden.
The other option is a BB gun -- if it's legal in your municipality.

Another option is "predator" urine; such as fox or coyote, or something like that, that you can spray around on low spots around the garden.

Best of luck!
slimbolen99
slimbolen99

Back to top Go down

Attractive or invisible bunny/raccoon deterrents? Empty Re: Attractive or invisible bunny/raccoon deterrents?

Post  camprn 5/3/2013, 1:57 pm

For a balanced eco system, is it really in the best interest of all the creatures there to be spreading all sorts of noxious stuff about? Or shooting them? Shocked Also, the water source will be used, one way or another, by all the wildlife in the area... water is vital to life......

If you want to protect your garden from wildlife that wants a feast, fence in the whole garden...

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Attractive or invisible bunny/raccoon deterrents? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 5/3/2013, 2:02 pm

Here's something a bit different that I do around my beds besides chicken wire:
High enough to deter, yet low enough to reach in and work.
Attractive or invisible bunny/raccoon deterrents? 20120731_162901

Attractive or invisible bunny/raccoon deterrents? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 5/3/2013, 2:56 pm

The Scarecrow motion activated sprinkler:
http://www.amazon.com/Contech-CRO101-Scarecrow-Activated-Sprinkler/dp/B000071NUS

Or a short electric new type fence.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/3/2013, 3:09 pm

A cat and 12" beds seem to work for me. I noticed that my newest 8" bed is getting chewed on lately. May have to fence that one in.

Also, table top beds would work. You can put that in the search box and see all kinds of beauties.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 5/3/2013, 5:54 pm

Hot pepper flakes may end up in their eyes and cause serious damage. It gets on their feet, and they use their feet to wash their faces. You might want to try something else. Some cats have been known to literally scratch their own eyes out the burning was so bad. At least, that's what I read. It makes sense.
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 6/17/2013, 7:55 pm

I know that this might be a bit late in the season but I have heard and am trying this year myself that if you plant onions around the outside of you garden that the bunnies will smell them and leave. They don't like the smell. So far they have left my peas alone that have the onions in front and behind them. My green beans I planted garlic around and they have been getting munched on.
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 6/17/2013, 10:44 pm

jazzycat wrote:Hot pepper flakes may end up in their eyes and cause serious damage.   It gets on their feet, and they use their feet to wash their faces.  You might want to try something else.  Some cats have been known to literally scratch their own eyes out the burning was so bad.  At least, that's what I read.  It makes sense.
Thanks for posting that.  It would not have occurred to me.  

Thankfully, I've never done it so no posthumous guilt, phew!

My solution was to fence the whole front yard in.  Expensive, yes.  But with a brook out back and my property being a natural funnel for the wildlife coming into town, the cost of the project was worth it for us.  We had to save up for it (took us almost 3 years of gathering materials) but in the end I can't tell you the relief it is to see greens growing where I used to wake up to (or come home to) devastation.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 6/18/2013, 4:38 pm

I have used this in the last 3 years and it works great.  It prevents my chickens, my dog, and squirrels away from the vegetable garden. I don't have a problem with rabbits but the fencing is 42 inches. It's a polyethylene mesh that is easy to set up.  I was even able to make a simple door by cutting it and attaching clips to the poles; it includes clips with hooks.  It almost looks invisible in the picture in the link, but it is clearly visible at close range.
Good luck!

http://www.gardeners.com/Pest-Fence/8586794,default,pd.html?start=5&q=fencing

Last edited by Roseinarosecity on 6/18/2013, 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : tried to attached picture but failed)
Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down