Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
should I worry about this? Toplef10should I worry about this? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

should I worry about this? I22gcj10should I worry about this? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
should I worry about this? Toplef10should I worry about this? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

should I worry about this? I22gcj10should I worry about this? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

should I worry about this?

+2
camprn
jazzycat
6 posters

Go down

should I worry about this? Empty should I worry about this?

Post  jazzycat 4/26/2013, 5:43 pm

OK. So I know I shouldn't freak out about every little thing I see in the garden. My plants are growing like crazy and seem to be extremely healthy. I did notice something when I was in the garden earlier though. A few leaves had a dark spot or two. One leaf had a sticky feeling when I touched it on one of those spots. I figure it's some kind of insect?

should I worry about this? Img_7144

should I worry about this? Img_7145

Also, my tomatoes are getting so huge the leaves are going into the front squares where I have greens planted, and an okra and pepper plants (haven't come up yet). Should I be trimming those branches or something? I kinda thought the tomatoes would shield the greens from the intense heat in the middle of the day, but I wonder if they're shading those squares TOO much?

should I worry about this? Img_7147

should I worry about this? Img_7148

Some of the bottom leaves are touching the mulch. Should I trim those off? Or take off the whole stem? I really want to succeed at this!

Thanks bunches for any input!
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

should I worry about this? Empty Re: should I worry about this?

Post  camprn 4/26/2013, 5:50 pm

Ideally you should not be pruning your tomato plants until they start setting fruit. The reason for this is that the plants need their foliage to grow. No photosynthesis, no growy. Now, you can clip off half that leaf stem that is shadowing any smaller plants or is touching the ground. Once the plant sets fruit you may prune off any leaf branches BELOW THE FRUITING STEM.

I have no idea about what's on the leaf, the photo is terrible, I cannot see what is going on. I can see a sucker in the background.
Is this the leaf that is touching the ground? Have you tried IDing the problem by searching the internet?

All the other foliage i see looks terrific!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

should I worry about this? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 4/26/2013, 6:28 pm

camprn wrote:Ideally you should not be pruning your tomato plants until they start setting fruit. The reason for this is that the plants need their foliage to grow. No photosynthesis, no growy. Now, you can clip off half that leaf stem that is shadowing any smaller plants or is touching the ground. Once the plant sets fruit you may prune off any leaf branches BELOW THE FRUITING STEM.

I have no idea about what's on the leaf, the photo is terrible, I cannot see what is going on. I can see a sucker in the background.
Is this the leaf that is touching the ground? Have you tried IDing the problem by searching the internet?

All the other foliage i see looks terrific!

Oh crap. I pruned some suckers earlier (well below the buds). silly me I wish I had known that. Here I was trying to be good mom and did something wrong. Sad

The first photo has two small holes in the leaf with some black around the holes. The other one has some darkening around the edge of the leaf on the tip and near the tip. I know they aren't the best photos, but I thought they would be good enough to get an idea. Guess I was wrong.

Soooo, this one probably isn't going to be any better, but I saw this funky beetle looking thing hanging out on one of the hoops, under the tulle. He appears to be upside down. Not upside down, but on his back? Don't know if you can tell, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. He's about 1/4 or 1/5" big.

should I worry about this? Img_7211
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 4/26/2013, 6:30 pm

Oh, and there are a few leaves touching the mulch. I'm trying to train them up over the string, but the branches keep growing and they're getting HUGE. Very long. And big. What a Face I suppose I could have worse problems, eh?
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/26/2013, 6:51 pm

http://bugguide.net/node/view/15740

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

should I worry about this? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/26/2013, 7:09 pm

You are usually advised in all gardening books to cut off any leaves that touch the ground to help prevent tomato blight developing becoming a problem & to dispose of the leaves away from the tomatoes and compost bin . Never leave any detached tomato leaves lying around for the same reason .

If you smoke be aware that when playing with your tomato plants tobacco residues on your fingers can damage your tomato plants with the tobacco mossaic disease.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 4/26/2013, 8:05 pm

Don't know about the toms. Mine are all skinny leafed type, no big leaves yet.

I would say the bug is a June bug. I know it's a little early, but I see yours and expect them here in a couple weeks. I've never had a problem with them in the garden.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 4/26/2013, 8:23 pm

littlejo wrote:Don't know about the toms. Mine are all skinny leafed type, no big leaves yet.

I would say the bug is a June bug. I know it's a little early, but I see yours and expect them here in a couple weeks. I've never had a problem with them in the garden.
Jo

Cool. I won't worry about it then. Thanks Jo!
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 4/26/2013, 8:28 pm

plantoid wrote:You are usually advised in all gardening books to cut off any leaves that touch the ground to help prevent tomato blight developing becoming a problem & to dispose of the leaves away from the tomatoes and compost bin . Never leave any detached tomato leaves lying around for the same reason .

If you smoke be aware that when playing with your tomato plants tobacco residues on your fingers can damage your tomato plants with the tobacco mossaic disease.

I don't smoke, but my sister does, and I've been trying to ram it into her head not to go near the plants when she's smoking, and to wash her hands if she has to touch one for some reason. Does that also affect fruit trees?

So throwing leaves out onto the ground somewhere away from the bed, but near it, is not OK? hmmmm...

I knew the leaves were supposed to be up off the ground, and I'm trying to train them up onto the cord, but they just keep growing... I guess tomorrow I may have some cutting. Or stringing.
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/26/2013, 8:47 pm

jazzycat wrote:
plantoid wrote:You are usually advised in all gardening books to cut off any leaves that touch the ground to help prevent tomato blight developing becoming a problem & to dispose of the leaves away from the tomatoes and compost bin . Never leave any detached tomato leaves lying around for the same reason .

I don't smoke, but my sister does, and I've been trying to ram it into her head not to go near the plants when she's smoking, and to wash her hands if she has to touch one for some reason. Does that also affect fruit trees?

So throwing leaves out onto the ground somewhere away from the bed, but near it, is not OK? hmmmm...

I knew the leaves were supposed to be up off the ground, and I'm trying to train them up onto the cord, but they just keep growing... I guess tomorrow I may have some cutting. Or stringing.
It is unlikely that anyone casually smoking tobacco near the tomato garden will infect your tomato plants with Tobacco Mosaic Virus, though the probability exists of cross contamination. There are much more frequent fungal and viral and bacterial diseases that will likely infect your garden. Some of them are plant specific, like blight to the tomato and potato and eggplant. Some are commonly shared, powdery mildew can affect pretty much everything. Some are transmitted by air or droplets or soil born or vector born. Some are endemic, others are trucked in on someone's shoes...... KNOWLEDGE is your friend in these matters. The internet is your friend. Here are a few to start with.
http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/DiagnosticKeys/TomWlt/TomWiltKey.html

http://usablight.org/

ALSO, see stickies in the forums titled 'Diseases' and 'Pests'. There is a lot of information available on the Forum, and so much more on the web.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 4/26/2013, 9:24 pm

Thanks camprn! I'll bookmark those pages.

I've been doing a lot of reading/research over the past few months about this stuff, but honestly, I guess until you actually SEE IT in person (at least for me) it's hard to judge what is what. I will keep reading and learning. Like I said. My plants are healthy, and I don't want to freak out about every little thing. I imagine sometimes plants just get spots and it isn't necessarily anything wrong or bad. But what do I know? I could be completely wrong about that. Anyway. Thanks for the input. Smile
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 4/27/2013, 6:20 pm

So today in the garden one leaf stem on one plant is wilting. It looks like the seedlings looked in the middle of the day when they needed water. The rest of the plant looks fine. I checked the water level around that plant, and it was all good. I'm wondering if it is one of those wilt diseases. I looked them up but they are supposed to happen later in the year in mature plants. here is a picture.

should I worry about this? Img_7214

See how droopy that one leaf is? What do you think?
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/27/2013, 6:29 pm

I have no idea what the problem is... is it hot out today? You seem quite worried about this, so maybe the best solution is to take the leaf/stem right off.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 4/28/2013, 11:35 am

I know I might seem a little (or more than a little) obsessive. I do get that way. I just have no idea what I'm doing, so I'm looking for guidance. The plant looked fine this morning when I checked on it. I'm going to wait a few days and watch it and see what happens. I've also decided to (try to) stop freaking out every time I see a spot or something on a leaf, unless it looks really bad. I just want to be a successful gardener, like you guys. Very Happy
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 4/28/2013, 11:48 am

Jazzy, many times things just fail, or it's a bad year for some crops. Weather, bugs, disease, accidents...Yesterday I was moving and watering my tomato plants and dropped one and broke several branches of another on its way down. I snipped them off and continue on. It's a bummer, but whatcha gonna do? should I worry about this? 1280598131
Your plants will change many, many times throughout the growing season. Some days they will look perfect and others, not so much. Intervention is great, but at the same time you can WAY overdo it. Like my signature says, I am my gardens worst enemy. Gardening should bring you peace, not worry sunny

should I worry about this? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/28/2013, 12:06 pm

+1 Rooster!

Jazzy, go get this book! Seriously, one of the best out there for novice and veteran gardeners.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7632379-garden-wisdom-know-how

should I worry about this? 7632379

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 4/28/2013, 12:49 pm

Thanks you guys!

I will order that book today camprn.

Rooster, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who might overdo things. What a Face
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/28/2013, 1:09 pm

jazzy- I am soo familiar with your style of worry, but like to think i'm getting better at it.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down