Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
never had a garden before and a bit intimidated/excited Toplef10never had a garden before and a bit intimidated/excited 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

never had a garden before and a bit intimidated/excited I22gcj10never had a garden before and a bit intimidated/excited 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
never had a garden before and a bit intimidated/excited Toplef10never had a garden before and a bit intimidated/excited 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

never had a garden before and a bit intimidated/excited I22gcj10never had a garden before and a bit intimidated/excited 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

never had a garden before and a bit intimidated/excited

5 posters

Go down

never had a garden before and a bit intimidated/excited Empty never had a garden before and a bit intimidated/excited

Post  illuminate1 4/21/2010, 12:09 am

Hi everyone! I am very very new to all of this. I purchased Mel's book yesterday and built my very first box today! Didn't even ask a man for help (with the exception of the home depot guy to cut the lumber). I wanted to share with you the first thing I have built myself: never had a garden before and a bit intimidated/excited 00810

Now I live in St. Louis and I haven't started any seeds and I am confused as to if its to late or not. I did buy already started plants, two tomatoes, hot banana peppers, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper and zuchinni. I am really confused about what gets planted and when. I know I need to do some more reading but does anyone have suggestions? I think I am a bit overwhelmed. Also, when you make a cage for the box, how does this work with the trellis? Do the tomatoes not need protection from pests after a certian height?

I have never had a garden before aside from a few flowerbeds where I have bought annuals to put in. Thanks for any support!
illuminate1

Female Posts : 4

Back to top Go down

never had a garden before and a bit intimidated/excited Empty Re: never had a garden before and a bit intimidated/excited

Post  new2this 4/21/2010, 8:07 am

Congrats - that looks great!

As a first yr gardener, I was a little overwhelmed at first (some things are still fuzzy, but it'll come with experience), so I know how you feel.

Get the book back out. Starting on pg 252, there are some great charts that'll help you decide when to plant.
First look up your area's last frost date.
Write down all of the veggies you plan to grow.
Use Mel's handy charts to figure out what goes in the dirt and when!

I've found it really handy to use a small notebook to keep track of things.

You'll do fine! Good luck and have fun!!
new2this

Female Posts : 215

Back to top Go down

never had a garden before and a bit intimidated/excited Empty Re: never had a garden before and a bit intimidated/excited

Post  new2this 4/21/2010, 8:13 am

Oh - I didn't answer some of your other questions.

I did build a cage, but only for my strawberry bed. We have lots of greedy birds and rabbits, so wether or not it was necessary.....well, I don't know, but I feel better with that cage sitting over them!

My veggie bed (4' x 4') will not be protected, so we'll see! I'm not too worried about my toms, but I could be wrong.

I think cages are a necessity only if you know there are creatures in your area that will destroy your beds.
new2this

Female Posts : 215

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 4/21/2010, 8:56 am

Welcome. Great garden bed there. Unless you have digging critters in your area, I wouldn't worry about a cage covering the entire bed. I made some small cages that cover 3 squares -- they are about 8" high. For the tomatoes I make a circular wire cage 1' in diameter and 1' high that I pull off when the tomatoes are well established and ready for trellising. I have a severe cat problem here, but they won't dig up large plants -- only the babies need protection.

If you are talking about frost protection, then make a cage covered in plastic for the whole bed. By the time the tomatoes are large enough to be trellised you should be out of frost danger.

A really nifty tool for Spring planting can be downloaded from here:
http://littlehouseinthesuburbs.com/category/gardening

And if you are unsure of your last frost-free date, here's a good website for that:
http://www.garden.org/zipzone/

I hope you will post often, ask questions, and show us your progress.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

never had a garden before and a bit intimidated/excited Empty Welcome, newbie Missouri gardener

Post  ander217 4/21/2010, 9:59 am

Hello, fellow Missourian!

I'm always happy to welcome another Show-Me gardener to the group. I'm about three hours south of you, between Sikeston and Poplar Bluff, in growing area 6b.

It's a little early yet to plant your tender crops in the St. Louis area, such as tomatoes, peppers, and zucchini. You can still plant early crops, including lettuce, radishes, spinach, English peas, swiss chard, potatoes, onions, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi, carrots, celery, beets, mustard greens, and turnips. It's about time to plant corn, too. I'd wait at least another week for beans.

Tender crops - cucumbers, melons, squash, eggplants, peppers, sweet potatoes, and okra should hold off for another couple of weeks to be safe. Evening temperatures in the 30s are not good for them. Tomatoes will be okay transplanted now if you cover them on cold nights. Some seeds like okra need warmer soil before they will even germinate.

Most veggies can be direct-seeded right into the box. You don't have to start the plants first. Some varieties have a temporary stunt after transplanting so that you don't save a lot of time by setting out transplants, and they are more expensive to buy. I either start seed indoors, or buy transplants of tomatoes, peppers, celery root, sweet potatoes, onions, and eggplants. Pretty much everything else I direct seed right into the box following Mel's suggested spacing.

If you train your tomatoes to a trellis you won't need a tomato cage. Other types of cages can be fashioned if you have a problem with stray cats, for example, or if you want to use one as a framework for a temporary cold-night cover, but the typical tomato cages are not normally used in a sfg box if you trellis your plants. About the only pests we have on our tomatoes are the big green tomato hornworms - if they appear, just check your plants each morning and hand pick them off and smash them, - and sometimes in late summer if we've had stressing conditions in the area such as drought, we'll get a swarm of blister beetles. They are large, long beetles colored either black with gray edges, or cream with narrow brown stripes. Their juices are caustic, so use gloves when running them out of your garden in case you mash one.

Don't be intimidated by growing veggies. If you have grown flowers, you can grow veggies. The great thing about SFG, - if you make a mistake, just pull it out and plant something else!
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  illuminate1 4/21/2010, 1:08 pm

Thanks! If I know I have moles before I start my garden, what should I do to protect it?
illuminate1

Back to top Go down

Post  illuminate1 4/21/2010, 1:12 pm

Ander217~ thank you so much for all the information I know who to ask MO planting questions to now! I wanted a cover for my garden because I have a lot of bunnies about and I worry about them eating my garden up before it has a shot.
illuminate1

Back to top Go down

never had a garden before and a bit intimidated/excited Empty Mole protection

Post  ander217 4/23/2010, 8:03 am

If you have moles, you can tack or staple a woven wire bottom on your box. Some people use hardware cloth, others use chicken or screen wire, some use tightly-woven fence wire - whatever you can scrounge or buy inexpensively.

I stapled weed barrier to the bottom of my boxes. I didn't add wire over that, but I set the boxes on top of a layer of cardboard or thick newspapers. So far the moles haven't been a problem.

Rabbits and groundhogs caused problems in my garden and we had to put a fence around it. If you only have a box or two, your cage should work fine at keeping out the bunnies. The critters mainly ate my lettuce, green beans, and fennel. They didn't bother tomato plants, but something would eat a ripe tomato now and then.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 4/23/2010, 2:18 pm

Welcome illuminate1 -- Your SFG bed looks great! All I can say is more power to us "do it yourself" women. You go girl!

(Oh, and I had the guy for Home Depot cut my boards too! Why not?)
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down