Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
soil question Toplef10soil question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

soil question I22gcj10soil question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
soil question Toplef10soil question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

soil question I22gcj10soil question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

soil question

4 posters

Go down

soil question Empty soil question

Post  peachiee77 4/24/2013, 6:56 pm

I am brand new to SFG (and gardening in general!) and have decided to do some raised beds this year! Unfortunately, money is a bit tight and I was offered some soil for a great price and was wondering everyone's thoughts here. I know the discussion on on Mel's Mix and I feel like thats a huge point in the gardening, but I am doing it wiht a couple other people and we are splitting costs and such and the others really want to go with this mix because of the price. Here's what the soil is:

Plant’s ChoiceTM Garden Blend
Plant’s ChoiceTM Garden Blend is a mixture of compost and sandy loam topsoil. The ratio is approximately 80% compost blended with 20% sandy loam. The mixture is then screened through our ½” screening plant and ready for sale.

Uses: Plant’s ChoiceTM Garden Blend is an excellent additive for bulking up existing flower gardens and /or vegetable gardens due to its high nutrient content.

Thoughts? Any info is appreciated - even if I can use this and maybe add to it?

Thanks in advance!
Laura
peachiee77
peachiee77

Back to top Go down

soil question Empty Re: soil question

Post  plantoid 4/24/2013, 7:08 pm

Welcome Laura ,
Someone more local to you with the right knowledge will be along soon ..... hopefully Wink .

I hope you enjoy your time here and eventually manage to move over to your own beds filled with Mels Mix as it's the bees knees for growing flowers and veg .

Perhaps consider starting the compost heap as you go along & keep it totally soil free .
Your own well made balanced home made compost is the biggest success of the MM .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/24/2013, 7:32 pm

If you can get it, buy bulk compost and use that. My recommendation is to stay away from anything that say 'topsoil'. Welcome to the forum. happy hi

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

soil question WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  peachiee77 4/24/2013, 7:39 pm

I know you can get compost from the dump here in town - would that be something good?
peachiee77
peachiee77

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/24/2013, 7:48 pm

peachiee77 wrote:I know you can get compost from the dump here in town - would that be something good?
It's always questionable, because folks bring in yard debris and you never really know what they all use in their yards. I would go look at it and see if there is stuff growing on it, it would probably be OK.

As with anything, if you cut corners often the end result is less than desired. Perhaps it would be better to start small with one box and buy or find everything per Mel's recipe.

I totally understand the limited funds thing! Try craigslist and freecycle for farm and garden compost.

Also, you are in Hardiness zone 6. http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-new-york-usda-plant-zone-hardiness-map.php

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

soil question WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 4/25/2013, 9:51 am

Hi Peachiee! happy hi Glad you came to the forum. The folks here are very friendly and always willing to help when they can.

That's a pretty interesting question. I know this forum is specifically for SFG, which uses only Mel's Mix (or sometimes all compost). But I'm not against the idea of starting a garden with something else. I feel like the really important thing here is to start a garden, get some experience and a love of gardening.

I understand the cost problem. I put in a new 4x12 garden box at my mom's place a couple of weeks ago, and I spent at least $100 on it. That's a one time fee though. Once your box is set up, the only thing you have to add is compost, which is awesome.

If you decide you can't afford MM this year, don't fret. My thoughts are, use as much compost as you can. Check out the compost they have at your dump. It should be dark and rich and smell like nice earth. If it's mostly wood chips or big pieces you can identify, don't put it in your garden box (you might think about getting some to put in your compost pile, though). If the dump doesn't have good compost, go pick up some from the store and mix it with the topsoil you were thinking about buying. This soil mix isn't going to be perfect. Soil compacts really easily, dries out fast, and it turns really hard and crusty when it's dry too. Use lots of mulch over top of it to keep it from drying out.

Mel's mix really is worth the trouble. I've tried growing in lots of different mediums, and it's by far the best. Well worth the extra initial expense. Good luck and let us know what happens!
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down