Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Low PH in new Mel's Mix 4-H club new SFG boxes Toplef10Low PH in new Mel's Mix 4-H club new SFG boxes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Low PH in new Mel's Mix 4-H club new SFG boxes I22gcj10Low PH in new Mel's Mix 4-H club new SFG boxes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Low PH in new Mel's Mix 4-H club new SFG boxes Toplef10Low PH in new Mel's Mix 4-H club new SFG boxes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Low PH in new Mel's Mix 4-H club new SFG boxes I22gcj10Low PH in new Mel's Mix 4-H club new SFG boxes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Low PH in new Mel's Mix 4-H club new SFG boxes

3 posters

Go down

Low PH in new Mel's Mix 4-H club new SFG boxes Empty Low PH in new Mel's Mix 4-H club new SFG boxes

Post  Lrose3271 4/24/2013, 10:48 am

Hello Fellow SF Gardeners,

I have recently formed a new 4-H Garden Club. We built 12 boxes and made our Mels Mix 1/3 course vermiculite, 1/3 peat, and a 1/3 mixture of a leaf compost and a manure compost (composed of horse, chicken alpaca and goat manures). The composts were gifts to our club from two local farmers. I had the mix ph tested and it came back as a 5.4 ph. The garden center recommended adding lime to raise the ph level. I am wondering if we need to add more compost to solve this issue. Im thinking maybe the peat wasnt fluffed up enough and we have more peat than we should. I have been hunting for worm castings and mushroom compost to add to our mix. I located one bag of mushroom compost! Certainly not enough for 12 boxes Sad

Any suggestions would be helpful. I havent ever had this issue with my own two SFG boxes.

We have seedlings all ready to plant when the soil is ready.

Thanks for helping us out
Lisa and the South Shore Seedlings.
Lrose3271
Lrose3271

Female Posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Low PH in new Mel's Mix 4-H club new SFG boxes Empty Re: Low PH in new Mel's Mix 4-H club new SFG boxes

Post  camprn 4/24/2013, 11:00 am

Did you have the mix tested as a soil less mix or a soil? Did you just take a sample from one spot, or multiple spots as the lab recommends? Just curious, who did the testing? What is the pH of the water you will be using in the garden?

Lime will help but it can take months to do it's work. A LITTLE SPRINKLE of wood ash will have a more immediate effect, but best to go very slow and light with wood ash.

http://www.savvygardener.com/Features/soil_ph.html
UMASS Amherst has one of the best Ag testing labs in the country.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Low PH in new Mel's Mix 4-H club new SFG boxes WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Low PH in new Mel's Mix 4-H club new SFG boxes Empty Re: Low PH in new Mel's Mix 4-H club new SFG boxes

Post  donnainzone5 4/24/2013, 11:15 am

You have only two composts: leaf and manure. Only 1/5 of your compost should be manure-based. And, as you mentioned, you may have too much peat moss if you didn't "fluff" it first.

Since you live in Massachusetts, you should be able to find lobster compost or Quoddy Blend. Also, are there cranberry bogs nearby? If so, some of these farms may have compost to sell or give away. Just make sure that no harmful chemicals were used to grow the cranberries.

Keep looking for that mushroom compost, and check specialty nurseries. For example, I found mint compost and composted bark fines with cow manure at two different nurseries here in Oregon. You probably also can find "planting mixes" that contain several different ingredients. You'll want to avoid any that already contain peat moss.

In the meantime, please keep in mind that most plants will grow in a pH of between 6.0 and 7.0. Others here have suggested ways to make your mix more alkaline.

Best of luck!
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Low PH in new Mel's Mix 4-H club new SFG boxes Empty LOW PH IN NEW MEL'S MIX 4-H CLUB NEW SFG BOXES

Post  Lrose3271 4/24/2013, 12:24 pm

donnainzone10 and Camprn

Oh! I forgot that we did use lobster compost. Being as we live on the coast of Massachusetts that is one of the easier composts to find at the stores.
As for the cranberry growers. I know for a fact most if not all use all kinds of chemicals on their bogs. In Massachusetts we have many ponds that are experiences algae blooms due to the bogs that use their waters Sad I wouldnt use cranberry compost.

I am going to add the mushroom compost and continue to look for more. I knew we only had 3 composts types, but for some reason I have hard time finding other types in my area.

We have started a compost bin with leaves, seaweed and home greens and hope to get that decomposing.

I think I will add a bit more compost with the worm castings, the mushroom compost and add some ash.

As for Umass Amherst. Today I picked up the information and a pamphlet to send our soil mixture out to them.

Camprn I gave them 2 soil samples from 2 different boxes. Ones I knew had been mixed in different batches. One came in at 5.1 and the other at 5.4. I just asked them to test the soil for the ph. If that answers your question. It was our local garden nursery. They are well known and the family has been in the business for over 65 years.

Thank you both for your input and guidance.
Lrose3271
Lrose3271

Female Posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down