Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out! Toplef10Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out! I22gcj10Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out! Toplef10Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out! I22gcj10Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out!

+2
llama momma
SFGHQSTAFF
6 posters

Go down

Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out! Empty Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out!

Post  SFGHQSTAFF 4/17/2013, 1:02 pm

One of the joys I get in life is to look at products that can help make a gardeners life easier in some way. Composting is one of the most essential tools that gardeners have in order to have the most beautiful and healthy gardens around. Today I will be doing a review on the Toter consumer composter.

Shipping: One of the first things I look at when reviewing a product is to start with the shipping. The composter arrived via Freight. That is not a problem for me as I live out in the country, but for someone trying to live in the cramped streets of the city, they might have to talk with the company to find out about other shipping options. The Composter arrived later than expected, but being that this is a newer product for the company, I am not going to hold that against them. It takes time to sort out those types of details.
Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out! Dsc01695zq

Packaging: The box arrived with a bit of a dent on one end, however, once opened, the composted had been packed very well and had sustained no damage. The main composter was wrapped (which is nice seeing this is such a large item, and the compost bucket fit well inside.
Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out! Dsc01697hq

Instructions: The instructions for the small bucket are clear and simple to read. Even better, the instruction on how to actually compost are written in the lid (no losing instructions!) and are very easy to understand and use. That is a huge plus for this company as the greatest problems with most gardeners in terms of composting deals with the ratios to use and the types of scraps that should and should not be used. Both of these topics were covered in a simple, easy to understand, visual instructions. It even comes with instruction on when to turn it, how much to water and troubleshooting guides on proper ratios.
Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out! Dsc01846c
Impressions: What can I say, I am impressed. The construction of the composter is sturdy and looks to be long lasting. The smaller bucket also looked well-constructed. At first, I thought the handle might be a bit flimsy, but as I have used it, it has worked well without any problems. By the way, I really liked the small bucket. It has air holes to keep your scraps from going rotten while you fill it with kitchen scraps. The company claims that you can flip it upside down and it will stay securely closed, and I must admit that they were right. I accidentally dropped it and not only did it hold together, but the lid did indeed stay closed so I didn’t have any mess on my kitchen floor (nice!)
Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out! Dsc01700im

Both the composter and the small bucket have locking mechanisms for holding the lids closed and for holding them open. Both nice features.

This model comes with a built in turner that you use your hands to turn.The turner has built in holes to help with oxygenation It feels sturdy enough for the work. The bottom also features a convenient door that allows you to pull the processed compost easily out the bottom. The door is small, so assume you will be using a small trowel for pulling out finished compost. I also like the fact that it has nice wide wheels so it’s easy to move around. That makes it easier to take it to my garden when I need compost without needing another bucket. The composter’s form factor fits in well with other garbage cans and does not draw undue attention to itself.
Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out! Dsc01848xy
The only thing that I was not sure about was the metal grill at the bottom that holds the raw material in place. Unless you lay a thick layer of brown material very evenly, it’s easy for small scarps to fall through its cracks. Since small scraps is what you want to have in order to have effective composting, this might take a little practice in order to make it work effectively.
Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out! Dsc01847ew

Conclusion: Overall, I was impressed by this composter. It’s sturdy, seems like it will last forever and I love the small bucket. It just works well. With the convenient turning mechanism and access door at the bottom, it looks like it will help gardeners with the most difficult parts of composting, the turning and access to the final product. I am excited to see how the compost comes out in about 4-6 weeks. I’ll post an update then. You can get more information about this composter at:

http://www.totercomposter.com/

Alan Silva
Square Foot Gardening Foundation

Last edited by SquareFoot on 4/17/2013, 1:51 pm; edited 7 times in total
SFGHQSTAFF
administrator
administrator

Male Posts : 264

Back to top Go down

Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out! Empty Re: Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out!

Post  llama momma 4/17/2013, 1:26 pm

That looks terrific. How nice to find something that seems so well constructed and thought out. Congratulations!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out! Empty Re: Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out!

Post  Nicola 4/17/2013, 1:47 pm

Toter is the brand that my city uses for the curbside garbage pickup "roly carts" and this composter looks kind of like that
It seems that the only place to buy it (so far?) is through Home Depot, and they do have a free pick up in-store option. Now, if only I had the $229.00 available to order one Embarassed
Nicola
Nicola

Female Posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGHQSTAFF 4/17/2013, 1:57 pm

Nicola wrote:Toter is the brand that my city uses for the curbside garbage pickup "roly carts" and this composter looks kind of like that
It seems that the only place to buy it (so far?) is through Home Depot, and they do have a free pick up in-store option. Now, if only I had the $229.00 available to order one Embarassed
yes, this is the company's entry into the gardening world. I must say, I am liking this machine!
SFGHQSTAFF
administrator
administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 4/17/2013, 4:23 pm

Looks like a pretty handy garden toy Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out! 3170584802 So it includes a separate container for disposing of kitchen scraps? Is that center metal bar for turning the goods?
Thanks for the review Squarefoot!

Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out! Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGHQSTAFF 4/17/2013, 5:36 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:Looks like a pretty handy garden toy Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out! 3170584802 So it includes a separate container for disposing of kitchen scraps? Is that center metal bar for turning the goods?
Yes, It includes a separate small bucket for the kitchen scraps.I really like it, it has holes to keep it vented and you just pour it into the composter. Yes, the metal bar is like a washing machine, it turns all the material.
SFGHQSTAFF
administrator
administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 4/17/2013, 7:59 pm

SquareFoot wrote:
RoOsTeR wrote:Looks like a pretty handy garden toy Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out! 3170584802 So it includes a separate container for disposing of kitchen scraps? Is that center metal bar for turning the goods?
Yes, It includes a separate small bucket for the kitchen scraps.I really like it, it has holes to keep it vented and you just pour it into the composter. Yes, the metal bar is like a washing machine, it turns all the material.

Awesome! I followed your link and found a good video:
http://www.totercomposter.com/product-tour/how-it-works
Looks like it would be a good composter for those in neighborhoods where piles may be frowned upon, or for those who find it challenging to turn their piles.

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/17/2013, 8:09 pm

Hope that carton gets composted. Wink

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGHQSTAFF 4/17/2013, 9:06 pm

camprn wrote:Hope that carton gets composted. Wink
Actually, the box it came in has become a fort for the kids to play in. they won't let me compost it yet!
SFGHQSTAFF
administrator
administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 4/17/2013, 9:21 pm

Lol. Classic!

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out! Empty Toter Composter

Post  blue tangerine 5/2/2013, 5:23 pm

Great review! How's the compost coming along?
I ordered my shiny new Toter composter last week, and it should be arriving at the big Depot any day now...very excited! It is a wee bit pricey ($250 with site-to-store shipping), so I have high expectations for it. Glad to hear that the bonus kitchen container works well too.
One thing...You raised the same concern that I have; Is the small stuff going to fall through the metal grates too early? And, how can I prevent that from happening? Thanks for the great review! Maybe I'll also post a review after trying mine.
blue tangerine
blue tangerine

Back to top Go down

Review of Toter Consumer Composter-Check it out! Empty box fort

Post  blue tangerine 5/2/2013, 5:32 pm

SquareFoot wrote:
camprn wrote:Hope that carton gets composted. Wink
Actually, the box it came in has become a fort for the kids to play in. they won't let me compost it yet!

LOL.
That box would make a PERFECT fort!
I think I might make one for myself after I unload my composter!
blue tangerine
blue tangerine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down