Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from WV Toplef10Hello from WV 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from WV I22gcj10Hello from WV 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from WV Toplef10Hello from WV 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from WV I22gcj10Hello from WV 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Today at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from WV

5 posters

Go down

Hello from WV Empty Hello from WV

Post  Janetdunut 4/11/2013, 9:40 am

Good morning all!

My name is Janet, and this is my first attempt at SFG. I've been lurking around for over a month, and I'm so appreciative for all the info on here...usually read AFTER I botch something. But, in spite of my ignorance, I've made some good progress I think:

Loads of tomato seedlings thriving, (so many that I'm giving them away. I had no idea they would ALL make it.)
Loads of pepper seedlings, (from the second round. Killed the first.)
Two 4 X 8' X 8" beds, (filled with a less than optimum soil. researched what I should use AFTER I filled it.)

Planted seeds for lettuce, carrot, raddish, green onions, broccoli and oregano last Saturday. One lettuce and all raddishes are sprouted.

I'm worried about the 80 degree weather we've had this week...and also worried about the thunderstorms and heavy rain predicted tonight. I'm completely over-anxious about it all. I hate to do something and not do it well. I also have extensive flower gardens that I put in last year that were absolutely beautiful...but wondering what will come back and what wont. I wonder around aimlessy all evening...itching to do more than I'm able this early in the season. My kids tease me and my dog follows me around wondering if I've lost my mind.

Anyway, there you have it. Nice to meet you all. Hopefully I can post pictures of healthy plants in a couple weeks!
Janetdunut
Janetdunut

Female Posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Hello from WV Empty Re: Hello from WV

Post  littlesapphire 4/11/2013, 9:47 am

Welcome Janet! glad you\'re here Glad you decided to start chatting Smile I've been here for a few years now (though I admit I'm only around during the growing season, lol), and the folks are great. They'll always help you if you need it!

I know exactly what you mean about being over anxious about your garden. The first year I had my SFG, I worried about it all the time! Thunderstorms would keep me up at night because I'd be worried about the slugs that would come out with the rain, lol. But you get more calm with experience. Just hang in there.

Hope to see lots of pictures of your garden soon Smile
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Janetdunut 4/11/2013, 10:56 am

Thanks, Julie. Nice to know I'm not the only one losing sleep.

I had such a hard time thinning out my pepper seedlings that my daughter stuck a label on the next batch to be thinned that read, "DOOMED!" They laugh now, but they will be loving the home made salsa in July if all goes as planned!!

(LOVE your quote.)
Janetdunut
Janetdunut

Back to top Go down

Hello from WV Empty A lettuce question

Post  Janetdunut 4/15/2013, 9:15 am

Good morning!

I tried to post pictures but it wasn't working...so bummed.

I worked outside all day yesterday and feel like I've been hit by a truck...but I got so much done. My tomato and pepper seedlings are growing beautifully, and everything in the bed has sprouted but the carrots. I broke down and bought some cabbage seedlings at Lowes...just because they were so darn cute. My husband is going to stop letting me go alone. I come home with everything that they're trying to get rid of...all the dying, pathetic looking plants. It blows my mind that they actually stop WATERING them when they go on the clearance shelves!!! Anyway, I digress...

So my lettuce is planted 4 per square, and I'm positive that I only put 1-2 seeds in each hole. They have sprouted and it appears to be much more than that. There's probably ten different sprouts bunched together at each hole. Is this normal? Do they need thinned out or are they just separate leaves of the same plant? I hate to ask stupid questions, but I couldn't find this info anywhere.
thinking
Janetdunut
Janetdunut

Back to top Go down

Post  nanny 5/5/2013, 5:32 pm

Hello Janet! I am from WV too, northern panhandle. It was very windy the day I decided I had to get some lettuce in the SFG. Well between the wind and the seed being two years old and my impatience, I took a chance. Yes, it still germinated and is doing great. It's just so windy I can't keep the garden watered. Trying to get up the nerve to make a rain barrel. Smile Good luck with your new garden. I know you'll love it!
nanny

Female Posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  nanny 5/5/2013, 5:34 pm

A thought about thinning. May just be easier to take a pair of manicure scissors and snip off the seedlings you don't want. Safer that way.
nanny

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 5/5/2013, 6:25 pm

Janetdunut wrote:Good morning all!

My name is Janet, and this is my first attempt at SFG. I've been lurking around for over a month, and I'm so appreciative for all the info on here...usually read AFTER I botch something. But, in spite of my ignorance, I've made some good progress I think:

Loads of tomato seedlings thriving, (so many that I'm giving them away. I had no idea they would ALL make it.)
Loads of pepper seedlings, (from the second round. Killed the first.)
Two 4 X 8' X 8" beds, (filled with a less than optimum soil. researched what I should use AFTER I filled it.)

Planted seeds for lettuce, carrot, raddish, green onions, broccoli and oregano last Saturday. One lettuce and all raddishes are sprouted.

I'm worried about the 80 degree weather we've had this week...and also worried about the thunderstorms and heavy rain predicted tonight. I'm completely over-anxious about it all. I hate to do something and not do it well. I also have extensive flower gardens that I put in last year that were absolutely beautiful...but wondering what will come back and what wont. I wonder around aimlessy all evening...itching to do more than I'm able this early in the season. My kids tease me and my dog follows me around wondering if I've lost my mind.

Anyway, there you have it. Nice to meet you all. Hopefully I can post pictures of healthy plants in a couple weeks!

Hello Janet~

This is a marvelous community and I have learned so much in such a short period of time. As you probably have already seen, there is an abundance of very experienced gardeners here to help with all concerns. I am so happy I found such a helpful forum.

I chuckled when I read your comment about all your tomato seeds germinating. I also had that happen. I was hoping for about 8 plants. I now have 17 very happy and healthy black krim tomatoes.

And.... I also have had some missteps:

I failed twice with lettuce (take one: not enough light, so I got leggy seedlings that failed... take two: put my seedlings under a plastic "green house" lid... they all fried...)

Most recently, I planted my cucumbers and squash in seed starter pellets. After they developed into "young adults," I transplanted them into 5" peat pots. Their leaves immediately began to yellow, and they began producing blossoms (much, much too soon). Sigh... they were goners. I now know to direct seed these veggies.

I will not be defeated though. I am pressing on. My take 3 on the lettuce has yielded very healthy romaine and butter lettuce. They look yummy! I intend to plant them in a semi sunny area where they will get mostly morning sun.

In any case... welcome to the forum. So many helpful folks here. You will have help every step of the way.

glad you\'re here
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 5/5/2013, 6:28 pm

Janetdunut wrote:Thanks, Julie. Nice to know I'm not the only one losing sleep.

I had such a hard time thinning out my pepper seedlings that my daughter stuck a label on the next batch to be thinned that read, "DOOMED!" They laugh now, but they will be loving the home made salsa in July if all goes as planned!!

(LOVE your quote.)

Janet... My wife and daughter have labeled me "Plant Murderer!" I myself wince when I have to thin seedlings. Oh, and I agree with Nanny about the manicure scissors. I also use them. Snipping the seedlings prevents root damage to the seedlings you intend to keep.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Hello from WV Empty Oops!

Post  Janetdunut 5/6/2013, 9:37 am

Nanny and Windmere,

Thank you so much for your responses! I'm rarely on the computer on the weekends because of yardwork and teenagers. (Soooo glad prom is over!!!)

It has been windy, but so far it hasn't seemed to effect anything.

I've come to the realization that I am too emotional about my plants. My tomato seedlings that I lovingly nutured started yellowing a bit. I did get them all out this weekend and I think that helped...perhaps they depleted the nutrtion in their cups?? They're perking up now, but I was losing sleep. I'm trying to find a good balance watering, because my beds seem to dry out very quickly.

My happy moments this week: My cucumber seeds sprouted in less than a week, my indoor lettuce sprouted and my cabbage plants, (transplants), look like they are starting to head! Woohoo!!!

I will use the manicure scissors for thinning the lettuce, but should I wait until it's a littler further along or do it now?

Also, I bought a chocolate mint plant at Lowes this weekend...smells heavenly! I'm wondering what it can be used for...coffee maybe?

Thanks again for the replies and suggestions! I've read so much on this forum the last few weeks. The info is priceless!! I will try again to post pictures this evening.
Janetdunut
Janetdunut

Back to top Go down

Hello from WV Empty link

Post  Janetdunut 5/6/2013, 10:02 am

Since I can't seem to post pictures from my work computer, here's a link to my garden album on FB. It's nothing fancy, but it's a little out from the house, so I don't mind it's "rustic" appearance. Smile The most recent in this album are from 4/20. It's actually looking a lot greener since then!

https://www.facebook.com/janetdunutdunut?ref=tn_tnmn#!/media/set/?set=a.10151510048931730.1073741826.514351729&type=3
Janetdunut
Janetdunut

Back to top Go down

Post  nanny 5/19/2013, 4:47 pm

I have grown Black Seeded Simpson lettuce with success. It is delicious. Don't pull the plant (like I did the first time) just snip off the outside leaves. I'm a slow learner. One thing I have no luck with is radishes.
nanny

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 5/19/2013, 9:27 pm

dont thin u lettuce seeds til they get a little bigger than snip and eat tyem. they are baby greens that restaurants make u pay more for. good luck to you and ur garden!
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum