Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: April 2013 - Page 2 Toplef10PNW: April 2013 - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: April 2013 - Page 2 I22gcj10PNW: April 2013 - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: April 2013 - Page 2 Toplef10PNW: April 2013 - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: April 2013 - Page 2 I22gcj10PNW: April 2013 - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

PNW: April 2013

+6
GWN
Zekes nursery
tananarose
FamilyGardening
smriti
gwennifer
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

PNW: April 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: PNW: April 2013

Post  FamilyGardening 4/17/2013, 2:07 am

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:We're not yet putting tomato/pepper seedlings outside--the west hills of St. Helens, OR, are about 2 weeks behind even downtown St. Helens (but, then, they get frost earlier in the fall than we do; go figure). In a 4x4 bed where 4 plants of Dagma's Perfection did so well last summer, I've found some feral tomato sprouts, so I shall let a couple grow, just to see what happens. Last week we harvested the last of the over-wintered violetta cauliflower, so that bed has been refurbished and planted with salad greens of various kinds, so a lone tomato won't be that out of place. The kale and chard planted a month ago has produced small, tender leaves for limited harvest, and some feral kale has popped up in the paths. Still getting lots of miners' lettuce for salads and greens. Nonna

our tomatoes and peppers are still inside under lights...was hoping to move them soon to our small green house....went out there today and the couple of tom's we did move out there are not looking to good....i think its still to cold....so glad we put them out there first to see how they would do before moving the whole family out....

thats pretty neat you found some feral tomato sprouts Shocked

how did your over-wintered violetta cauliflower taste?....does it taste the same as reg white cauliflower?....we just pulled our last over-winter lettuce and spinach.... Very Happy we are for sure going to do more over-wintering again this year....

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 4/17/2013, 2:12 am

happycamper wrote:I started hardening off some of my tomatoes today to get them prepared for planting, anyone else starting the process in the great PNW?
The soil blocks with cucumbers and various squash I have in containers outside are starting to sprout.
I seem to have alot of volunteer tomatoes coming up, they are really small and do not have any true leaves yet. I was pulling most of them like weeds but may save some, I haven't decided yet.
Most everything else I have planted (except the salsify) is sprouting. I have had to pull several kale, arugula and lettuce plants to make room for other items that I will be planting in a few weeks which means lots of salad recently.
What's been going on in your garden?

thats great your squash and cucmbers are staring to sprout....the ones in our green house are just now starting to sprout as well cheers

glad to hear your other garden seeds are coming up too sunny

we have been busy in the garden getting ready to plant the corn ...going to try and direct seed them under plastic on the hoops and see how they do sunny

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  smriti 4/17/2013, 4:00 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:
what kind of vericomposter are you using?....we too have a worm bin...and a 5 gal bucket of worm castings that we are waiting for the worms to finish.....looked in there today...and boy was I surprised to find a ton of babies and larger momma's and pappa's in that bucket Shocked they are doing a great job breaking down that little bit that was left for them to do....soon we are going to have to get them out of there.....

happy gardening
rose

We've the Worm Factory 360. Since this was the first time we were doing it, I wanted something simple and this looked simple enough. It uses vertical migration (don't know if there's any other way but that's what it says on the box).

I'm yet to get to the point where I can identify babies Smile. All I'm wanting to see right now is no dead worms Laughing
smriti
smriti

Back to top Go down

Post  smriti 4/17/2013, 4:03 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:
thats great your squash and cucmbers are staring to sprout....the ones in our green house are just now starting to sprout as well cheers

Squash and zucchini are probably the two most happy plants on my window right now. They've such nice beautiful leaves, it makes me happy to seem them everyday. Will try to get a picture today and post them.
smriti
smriti

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawncee 4/17/2013, 10:38 pm

Want to thank everyone for the warm welcome.

Does everyone have a greenhouse? I wish i did; almost bought plastic covered three-shelf mini this year, but opted for the raised beds instead. I have tried sprouting seeds indoors in the past, but I do not have a sunny enough window to keep the plants happy - spindly plants are sad looking and acting.

Has anyone using copper for a slug/snail barrier, and if so, what is the verdict? I purchased a 50' roll of copper tape and wrapped it around the tops of my beds as a deterrent, so far, so good.

I've given up on cantaloupe, the past three years, I've had one or two tiny melons that unfortunately never ripened.

Going to go look at the worm factory now - hope everyone has a great evening,

Dawn
Dawncee
Dawncee

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 4/18/2013, 12:46 pm

smriti wrote:
FamilyGardening wrote:
what kind of vericomposter are you using?....we too have a worm bin...and a 5 gal bucket of worm castings that we are waiting for the worms to finish.....looked in there today...and boy was I surprised to find a ton of babies and larger momma's and pappa's in that bucket Shocked they are doing a great job breaking down that little bit that was left for them to do....soon we are going to have to get them out of there.....

happy gardening
rose

We've the Worm Factory 360. Since this was the first time we were doing it, I wanted something simple and this looked simple enough. It uses vertical migration (don't know if there's any other way but that's what it says on the box).

I'm yet to get to the point where I can identify babies Smile. All I'm wanting to see right now is no dead worms Laughing

here is a good thread with some pic's of worm eggs Very Happy has a lot of great info and is funny Razz

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t10365p165-1000-worms-on-their-way

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  smriti 4/24/2013, 1:57 pm

I saw a lot of white little baby worms in our vermicomposter Smile Hope that means all's well in the vermi-land!
smriti
smriti

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 4/29/2013, 11:14 pm

Im thinking we need a Tomato tuesday thread soon sunny

today we moved the rest of our tomato seedlings out to the green house....a few of them have spent several nights out there and they all seem to be doing well cheers so glad we decided to get the little green house last year....it made it so much easier to start tomato plants from seeds....it is nice to be able to get them out of the house....

looking in the green house to the left...tomato seedlings

PNW: April 2013 - Page 2 Dscf0010

back of the green house...we have tomato, over winter celery, cucumbers, over winter lettuce, carrots, basil, pumpkin, baby seedlings of celery.....lots of veggies in a small green house....love it!

PNW: April 2013 - Page 2 Dscf0011

the right hand side of the green house..more tomato seedlings

PNW: April 2013 - Page 2 Dscf0012

we even have some tom's flowering Smile

PNW: April 2013 - Page 2 Dscf0014

sun was out today....but boy was it windy!!! PNW: April 2013 - Page 2 3868

we planted corn under the hoops last week and so far no sign of them....the three sisters corn ( hooker corn) that is going into SFG box # 2 ...we started in the green house... is just starting to break thru....hope to see them up in the next couple of days....

crookneck, acron and butternut squash is coming up in the green house

PNW: April 2013 - Page 2 Dscf0016

sugar snap peas doing well

PNW: April 2013 - Page 2 Dscf0015

what have you all been up too??

happy gardening
rose

FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down