Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Which vegies do you start indoors and when? Toplef10Which vegies do you start indoors and when? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Which vegies do you start indoors and when? I22gcj10Which vegies do you start indoors and when? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Which vegies do you start indoors and when? Toplef10Which vegies do you start indoors and when? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Which vegies do you start indoors and when? I22gcj10Which vegies do you start indoors and when? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Today at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Which vegies do you start indoors and when?

+3
quiltbea
sfg4uKim
March
7 posters

Go down

Which vegies do you start indoors and when? Empty Which vegies do you start indoors and when?

Post  March 3/27/2013, 7:32 am

I'm in Brampton, NW of Toronto. I've been planning to start SFG this spring. Over the winter, I've been washing out pet food cans and yoghurt tubs to use for starting plants indoors.

Any suggestions from your experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

March
March
March

Back to top Go down

Which vegies do you start indoors and when? Empty Re: Which vegies do you start indoors and when?

Post  sfg4uKim 3/27/2013, 8:23 am

If you have the All New Square Foot Gardening book there are some wonderful charts in the back. There's one for starting seed indoors, when to transplant them and when to seed directly outdoors. Smile

Other than that, does your area have anything like an Extension Service through a local university or other organization? This is your BEST choice as they have insight to your local weather.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Which vegies do you start indoors and when? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Which vegies do you start indoors and when? Empty Re: Which vegies do you start indoors and when?

Post  quiltbea 3/27/2013, 8:39 am

Welcome to the forum. With you living in Canada, your hardiness zones differ from mine in the USA. Maybe someone living in your area can respond much better.
I suggest finding out your hardiness zone, probably online, then planning from there.
As a general rule, you can start many brassicas (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower) and greens in the early spring indoors to transplant outdoors anywhere from 3-12 weeks before your last frost.
Broccoli, cabbage and parsley 12 wks before last frost, cauliflower and onions 10 wks before, eggplant, lettuce, peppers, and Swiss chard 7 wks before and so on. Some of these can be transplanted outdrs while its still rather cool while others, like peppers, have to wait till all chance of a frosty nite has passed.
I suggest getting Mel Bartholomew's book The All New Square Foot Garden Book with its helpful ideas and charts.
Or check your local library for books about food crops that grow well in your area and study it.
Good luck.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 3/27/2013, 9:24 am

sfg4uKim wrote:If you have the All New Square Foot Gardening book there are some wonderful charts in the back. There's one for starting seed indoors, when to transplant them and when to seed directly outdoors. Smile

Other than that, does your area have anything like an Extension Service through a local university or other organization? This is your BEST choice as they have insight to your local weather.

Agreed Which vegies do you start indoors and when? 3170584802

Which vegies do you start indoors and when? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Missed-Em 3/27/2013, 11:19 am

I got a planting calendar from http://allthingsplants.com/apps/calendar. Hope I copied that right. Quite useful and it's set up by zip if I remember right.

I did pepers and tomatoes for the first time, now the toms are a perfect size for planting and there's 13 inches of snow on my SFG.
Missed-Em
Missed-Em

Male Posts : 35

Back to top Go down

Post  bluelacedredhead 4/3/2013, 11:47 pm

March wrote:I'm in Brampton, NW of Toronto. I've been planning to start SFG this spring. Over the winter, I've been washing out pet food cans and yoghurt tubs to use for starting plants indoors.

Any suggestions from your experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

March

Here's a chart from the Ministry of Ag. It includes frost dates for all areas of Ontario as well as guidelines about what to plant or transplant after the date for your area. The chart says that Brampton's Average last date for spring is April 25th, but I wouldn't transplant frost tender plants outdoors until Victoria Day weekend. And even then, make sure you check the Weather Channel if it's cool outside.

Good luck starting your own seeds. What were you hoping to plant? Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant should all have been started indoors by now. It takes about 6 to 8 weeks from seed until they are large enough to transplant outdoors. What other veggies do you like to eat? That should help you decide what to put in your garden.
bluelacedredhead
bluelacedredhead

Female Posts : 114

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/4/2013, 7:21 am

BLRH & others,
Not all seeds germinate at the same rate neither do all seedlings develop at the same speed so there is no hard and fast rule to play by .

In Mel's book ( see my strap lines ) Mel gives you some much needed ( chart form ) info about it on pages 263 & 264 .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down