Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Planting started (5A-_Des Moines, IA) Toplef10Planting started (5A-_Des Moines, IA) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Planting started (5A-_Des Moines, IA) I22gcj10Planting started (5A-_Des Moines, IA) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Planting started (5A-_Des Moines, IA) Toplef10Planting started (5A-_Des Moines, IA) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Planting started (5A-_Des Moines, IA) I22gcj10Planting started (5A-_Des Moines, IA) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Planting started (5A-_Des Moines, IA)

3 posters

Go down

Planting started (5A-_Des Moines, IA) Empty Planting started (5A-_Des Moines, IA)

Post  Judge Kemp 4/19/2010, 1:17 am

Well, I have two 4x4 beds built and filled with Mel's Mix. Vermiculite is tough to come by around here, as is varied compost. So, my mix is perhaps lighter on the Vermiculite (75-85% of being 1/3). The compost is also a "mixed-bag."

For compost I was able to get some manure/humus, composted manure (different brand), Oma-Gro from City of Omaha, and "Garden Compost" from Wal-Mart that seems to include Peat Moss, but is still pretty heavy.

I'm hoping I got the seeds in early enough. My 10% Frost Date is between May 2 and May 9, so that is the only date I knew to go by until I saw the link above in this forum. Just found it was the 10% date and the 50% date is actually April 27.

So, with that in mind, this is what I have in (and dates)

Brocolli and Cabbage transplants: April 14.
Strawberry (roots): Apr 14
Raspberry (bush): 4/17
Asparagus (roots): 4/18

Seeds
Apr 14:

• Spinach
  • Lettuce
Apr 15:

• Radishes
  • Sugar Snap Peas
  • White Onions ("bulbs")
  • Carrots
Apr 17

• Swiss Chard
  • Beets
Apr 18

• Carrots
  • Kohlrabi
  • Beets
  • Radishes
  • Mesclun
Let me know what you think and let me know if I'm too late with anything. This is my first year of SFG, and my first year trying to do this in Early Spring.

I look forward to participating in the forums this year and posting some pics once anything comes up!
Judge Kemp

Male Posts : 77

Back to top Go down

Planting started (5A-_Des Moines, IA) Empty Re: Planting started (5A-_Des Moines, IA)

Post  silverbug 4/19/2010, 8:08 am

Late with anything? Nope, I'd say you're early with some of it, but hey, the weather's been great. I am scared to put the carrots or radishes in yet, as in Wisconsin, it's been known to snow/freeze in April. I'm getting anxious to finish my one bed, but so far I've only planted the peas, spinach and swiss chard from seed. I'm still waiting a bit on lettuce, carrots and radishes. I'm thinking that maybe I'll take the "risk" and leap in with the carrots, radishes and lettuces next week or so....that's still way earlier than I've ever started anything outside before. Typically I'm not planting anything here til mid to end of May, however, this is my first raised bed garden, so, hopefully that and the weather will make all the difference.

Happy Gardening!!!
silverbug

Female Posts : 185

Back to top Go down

Planting started (5A-_Des Moines, IA) Empty Re: Planting started (5A-_Des Moines, IA)

Post  Judge Kemp 4/19/2010, 7:36 pm

silverbug wrote:Late with anything? Nope, I'd say you're early with some of it, but hey, the weather's been great. I am scared to put the carrots or radishes in yet, as in Wisconsin, it's been known to snow/freeze in April. I'm getting anxious to finish my one bed, but so far I've only planted the peas, spinach and swiss chard from seed. I'm still waiting a bit on lettuce, carrots and radishes. I'm thinking that maybe I'll take the "risk" and leap in with the carrots, radishes and lettuces next week or so....that's still way earlier than I've ever started anything outside before. Typically I'm not planting anything here til mid to end of May, however, this is my first raised bed garden, so, hopefully that and the weather will make all the difference.

Happy Gardening!!!

I'm with you on the "never put out anything this early before" as this is waaay earlier than I've put anything in before. I picked up some 1/2" PVC that I'm putting up so if it does cool off in a couple of weeks here in Central Iowa I can throw a blanket over my "tent."

Good luck in Wisconsin with the weather. I hope the MidWest warm spell is reaching up there and I hope it lasts steadily through the next couple of weeks.
Judge Kemp

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 4/20/2010, 10:11 am

Welcome Judge Kemp to the 5a thread Planting started (5A-_Des Moines, IA) 396615 . Glad you found us here.

As I cruise around all the forums I see people's posts telling us that they are already eating their produce, and I see pictures with big green plants. Then I realize I'm a 5 (actually a 5b), not a 7 or 8! I have a few things in and I feel late! But I'm not. I just looked at my garden notes from last year and I realized that I didn't even have my first box built until June 20 Planting started (5A-_Des Moines, IA) Lol . So I've stopped stressing out!

I have one 2x4, one 2x6, and am adding a 4x4 very soon. Have been spending time building a 2x4 table-top for our neighbors who are in their 90s and can't do their row garden anymore. Do you think I will be able to convert them to SFG?

Today I am finishing up a small box for carrots and hope to mix more soil. SFG is FUN!

Keep us posted on your progress. Put up pictures when you can.

Claire Planting started (5A-_Des Moines, IA) Icon_flower
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

Post  Judge Kemp 4/20/2010, 9:44 pm

mckr3441 wrote:Welcome Judge Kemp to the 5a thread Planting started (5A-_Des Moines, IA) 396615 . Glad you found us here.

As I cruise around all the forums I see people's posts telling us that they are already eating their produce, and I see pictures with big green plants. Then I realize I'm a 5 (actually a 5b), not a 7 or 8! I have a few things in and I feel late! But I'm not. I just looked at my garden notes from last year and I realized that I didn't even have my first box built until June 20 Planting started (5A-_Des Moines, IA) Lol . So I've stopped stressing out!

I have one 2x4, one 2x6, and am adding a 4x4 very soon. Have been spending time building a 2x4 table-top for our neighbors who are in their 90s and can't do their row garden anymore. Do you think I will be able to convert them to SFG?

Today I am finishing up a small box for carrots and hope to mix more soil. SFG is FUN!

Keep us posted on your progress. Put up pictures when you can.

Claire Planting started (5A-_Des Moines, IA) Icon_flower

I love the idea of building a tabletop 2x4 for an elderly neighbor. I know my neighbor (not elderly) has been following my progress here and likes the idea of getting everything in such a compact spot. I may have already converted him and haven't grown a thing!

It is funny that I'm stressing about time I guess-I'm usually a Mother's Day weekend starter. I just remember last year losing all my brocolli, cauliflower and lettuce because I started so late.

Just added a square of carrots and a square of 25-30 day lettuce from that English seed company tonight. We'll see how they go.
Judge Kemp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down