Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Direct sow carrots?? Toplef10Direct sow carrots?? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Direct sow carrots?? I22gcj10Direct sow carrots?? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Direct sow carrots?? Toplef10Direct sow carrots?? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Direct sow carrots?? I22gcj10Direct sow carrots?? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 5:02 pm

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener Today at 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Direct sow carrots??

+3
quiltbea
yolos
Windmere
7 posters

Go down

Direct sow carrots?? Empty Direct sow carrots??

Post  Windmere 3/9/2013, 12:24 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been doing some reading about planting carrots, and I've read a lot that says you should sow carrots directly outdoors.

I want to have an early crop, so I began my carrots inside. I plant on putting the peat containers directly into the ground when I am pretty sure the last frost has passed.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? I've done a search in the forum, but have not come across any posts that addressed this subject.

thinking
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Direct sow carrots?? Empty Re: Direct sow carrots??

Post  yolos 3/9/2013, 12:52 pm

Sorry I can't answer your question about carrots in pots. But I have experience in sowing them directly in the gound in Brooks, Ga.

My first sowing last year was on carrot week about April 15. They popped right up in about 3-5 days, got about a couple of inches tall and sat there all summer doing nothing the rest of the summer. In the fall they took off and I pulled a mess of carrots. Last spring was so short they did not have time to produce anything before the hot weather got here.

This year I decided not to wait for carrot week and started planting them early. I planted two squares on 2/10/13. They have just now sprouted. I guess it was still a little cold for them that early. I planted two more squares on 2/24/13. They have not yet germinated. I planted another two squares this morning. I hope they germinate a little faster than the earlier ones. I have a feeling that the latest planted ones will produce almost about the same time as the earliest planted carrots.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/9/2013, 1:01 pm

Basic information: Carrots can be sown outdoors 3 weeks before your last expected frost. I would transplant any seedlings the same time and very gently to not disturb the roots.
Edited to add: I would also loosen the soil in the square down as far as you can, up to 12" or so, to make it easier for the carrots to spread their roots without rocks impeding.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 3/9/2013, 6:34 pm

quiltbea wrote:Basic information: Carrots can be sown outdoors 3 weeks before your last expected frost. I would transplant any seedlings the same time and very gently to not disturb the roots.

In the South, carrots work better as a fall crop. I sow in August and have nice fresh carrots all winter. I sowed a spring crop the first week of February, but it will be touch and go to get them to produce before hot weather comes. Sometimes here it goes from winter to summer without much spring. If spring is extended, MAYBE I'll get some spring carrots.

The biggest problem with sowing in August is getting germination. It's usually mighty hot, and it dries out very fast. I water 2-3 times a day until the carrots show, then drop back to once a day. But sometimes that doesn't even work, especially if it's running near 100 degrees every day.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/9/2013, 6:49 pm

You are right Pollinator, the very best carrots I have ever eaten (red cored chatenay) I planted in the fall. Apparently the cooler temps make them the best.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 3/9/2013, 7:21 pm

Pollinator wrote:The biggest problem with sowing in August is getting germination. It's usually mighty hot, and it dries out very fast. I water 2-3 times a day until the carrots show, then drop back to once a day. But sometimes that doesn't even work, especially if it's running near 100 degrees every day.
Pollinator, try priming your carrot seeds first this fall and see if it makes a difference with germination rates. I picked up on the tip from this blog post: Growing Carrots with Character. Here's the pertinent excerpt:
Carrot seeds are naturally slow germinators, but you can speed things up a bit by priming the seeds indoors. Starting three to four days before you plan to sow them, soak carrot seeds in water for an hour, and then transfer them to a damp paper towel. Fold to enclose the seeds, then put inside an airtight container. Keep at room temperature. Plant the primed seeds within five days. I find that it is seldom necessary to prime seeds sown in spring, my rainiest season, but priming carrot seeds is tremendously helpful in summer, when I'm planting carrots for fall.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 3/10/2013, 12:54 am

gwennifer wrote:Carrot seeds are naturally slow germinators, but you can speed things up a bit by priming the seeds indoors. Starting three to four days before you plan to sow them, soak carrot seeds in water for an hour, and then transfer them to a damp paper towel. Fold to enclose the seeds, then put inside an airtight container. Keep at room temperature. Plant the primed seeds within five days. I find that it is seldom necessary to prime seeds sown in spring, my rainiest season, but priming carrot seeds is tremendously helpful in summer, when I'm planting carrots for fall.

Thanks. I'll give this a try.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 3/10/2013, 1:30 am

Those peat pots don't always break down that fast to I would cut the bottom out of your pot right before you put them in the ground!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/10/2013, 2:25 pm

cheyannarach wrote:Those peat pots don't always break down that fast to I would cut the bottom out of your pot right before you put them in the ground!

Same with toilet paper rolls and newspaper rolls in my experience.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down