Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What is the difference between rabbit and horse poo? - Page 2 Toplef10What is the difference between rabbit and horse poo? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What is the difference between rabbit and horse poo? - Page 2 I22gcj10What is the difference between rabbit and horse poo? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What is the difference between rabbit and horse poo? - Page 2 Toplef10What is the difference between rabbit and horse poo? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What is the difference between rabbit and horse poo? - Page 2 I22gcj10What is the difference between rabbit and horse poo? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What is the difference between rabbit and horse poo?

+8
bnoles
Lavender Debs
llama momma
camprn
Turan
RoOsTeR
Hardcoir
Gunny
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What is the difference between rabbit and horse poo? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is the difference between rabbit and horse poo?

Post  littlejo 3/2/2013, 8:44 pm

I don't know anything about bunnie poo or how they process there poo. Horses digestive system is like a dogs. In one end and out the other, very quickly.That is why, with a dog, it's food should be easily digestable or they can starve even while still eating.
A horse is given good quality food, but must be given roughage, long bladed grass or rice in order for their digestive system to continue working. They utilize the roughage but their system does not digest it, making it necessary to compost. Also any seeds that the horse eats does not get digested,so composting is necessary. If it is safe to use bunnie poo straight, then bunnie and horse systems are different, or at least what their body does with food.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

What is the difference between rabbit and horse poo? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is the difference between rabbit and horse poo?

Post  llama momma 3/3/2013, 8:34 am

Gunny wrote:..... there was no difference. What distinguishes these two is the seacome (sp) that is what prompted my original question because all I was seeing while shifting was once through the mill alfalfa only in tiny pieces.
The caecum (also cecum) is probably the word you are thinking of. I think you will get your best technical answer from a college animal science dept. My animal science background courses cannot answer your question. But I am betting the difference lies more in the difference in horse and rabbit gut bacteria, enzymes, etc that produces a difference in end product. Even if the gross anatomy of the G.I. tracts look extremely similar it's probably the microscopic differences that matter far more.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 3/3/2013, 11:21 am

Right, ceacum, I couldn't remember the spelling after about 20 years Laughing I want to thank all of you for your input. I guess I wont be taking that short cut after all No oh well another leaning experience. I think I was trying to get out of all the back strain of moving manure in the composting station 560 ft3 is a lot of work. After this is done I will go back to a single bin. My old bones will appreciate that Laughing Here I thought this would be easy. But I won't have to worry about compost for a long while. My days are getting a lot warmer, been in the 80's down here and the nights in the 40's. My sprouts are looking good. My avatar is snow peas that are about ten days old. My dw made squash a week or so ago and I noticed that some of the seeds had roots so they got put in jiffy pellets that I already had and they are already sprouting so now I have to make a home for them. Work, work, work, I am doing more physical labor now than I did after I retired from the Corps Laughing
Gunny
Gunny

Male Posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 3/3/2013, 11:48 am

Last year I got several bags of rabbit poo from a 4H child. Seems he was NOT regular about cleaning out under the rabbits cages. Was quite a pile still under the benches.
This I DID put straight on my beds before I planted garlic and onions. It was already partially composted.
I have no problem putting it straight in my beds. I tend to have a fetish about washing my hands after I work in the garden anyway lol..wash, clean nails, wash, repeat rofl
However, I will THOROUGHLY mix with the MM if I am doing regular plantings! I just don't like it sitting right on the surface when I am picking! rofl
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 3/3/2013, 12:29 pm

This has been a fun research topic Very Happy
Here are 2 links that a pretty good discussing each animals digestive system
Rabbit Digestive System
The horse's digestive system

Both animals are single stomach hind gut fermenters. What I have gathered so far is that horses do not have much enzyme in their saliva, instead there is a lot of bicarbonate soda; while rabbits have lots of enzymes in the saliva. Both animals produce bile in the liver but horses do not have a gall bladder. Those are the large differences that I found. As the differences start with the saliva it is going to cascade in various not obvious ways to us through the system. Rabbits are considered more efficient at digesting a wider variety of feeds than horses.

You know goats and cows share very similar digestive systems also. But whole grains and weed seed do not easily pass through a goat with out getting digested but a certain percentage will pass through a cow. (Hence the old farm wisdom of pasturing pigs after cows to eat the undigested grains from the cow paddys)

Shouldn't efficiency of digestion relate to how safe to directly put around plants? Or is it the small size of pellets versus plops and apples? Being as naturally the animals scatter it over pasture. Except llamas and I am curious how that works in the Andes, are there towering piles of vicuna/ llama poop dating back centuries or do they change piles with spring cleaning or something?

What is the difference between rabbit and horse poo? - Page 2 3170584802

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2