Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Started seed too soon? Toplef10Started seed too soon? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Started seed too soon? I22gcj10Started seed too soon? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Started seed too soon? Toplef10Started seed too soon? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Started seed too soon? I22gcj10Started seed too soon? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tomatoes not having growth
by OhioGardener Today at 10:50 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:02 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 9:58 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:34 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:44 pm

» Spring Flowers
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» Dealing with Critters in Garden
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/18/2024, 8:53 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/18/2024, 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Started seed too soon?

+7
mapspringer
quiltbea
CapeCoddess
cheyannarach
bwaynef
camprn
littlejo
11 posters

Go down

Started seed too soon? Empty Started seed too soon?

Post  littlejo 2/28/2013, 8:05 am

I started most of my seeds on or about Feb. 1. My last frost date is near Mar. 5.
Here are some of the tomatoes in Solos.
Started seed too soon? Pic_0513
Here are some of my other plants. I chose not to up-pot into solos because of not having room
Started seed too soon? Pic_0514
Here is my problem.
Started seed too soon? Pic_0515

The above pic is a pepper plant. Do you think that is a bloom? I've got at least a week til I could possibly plant outside. Should I pinch this out or just leave them and see what happens? Should I up-pot in a hurry? I have 3 peppers that are doing this. They are only about 6 in. tall!
Thanks, Jo

Last edited by littlejo on 2/28/2013, 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling! grammer!)
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Started seed too soon? Empty Re: Started seed too soon?

Post  camprn 2/28/2013, 8:43 am

Jo, in regards to the pepper plants... they are 6 " tall and one stem ? If that is the case, go ahead and pinch the topmost growing tip and the flower buds. If you have the plants in small cell pot, you should probably pot up, because you NEED to not set these out too early and the longer the roots are in a small pot the plant will be stressed.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Started seed too soon? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef 2/28/2013, 10:25 am

littlejo wrote:I started most of my seeds on or about Feb. 1. My last frost date is near Mar. 5.

I'm not questioning the validity of that statement, but I'm shooting for closer to the beginning of April, ...so where are you getting your information? I'd expect you to be a couple of weeks earlier, but not 3-4 weeks.

bwaynef
bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 2/28/2013, 10:48 am

Oh my goodness! You must be taking some great care of them! You just gave me a vision of what my kitchen should look like come April, what was I thinking, lol! I will still have 2 months to go in April!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 2/28/2013, 10:54 am

This guy, Ray, grows a lot of his veggies indoors so I learned to plant indoor seeds early if I feel like it. Here's his vid on pruning his pepper plants:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XmfoASl_Lg

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/28/2013, 11:25 am

I love the idea of starting early indoors, but I worry about them growing too large. The larger they are transplanted outdoors the harder on the little plant with transplant shock, from what I understand. I've never waited too long so don't have first hand experience with transplanting already-blooming veggies but heard that its not a good thing.
Anyone had any experience with this?
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  mapspringer 2/28/2013, 12:28 pm

My mother-in-law has always been in favor of purchasing more mature container-grown plants/bushes/trees to plant out, because their root system is already bigger and stronger, and they are "hardier" than little guys. I've found this to be true for things like berry bushes and trees, so I can't imagine it being different for veggie plants. Now, as far as blooming as a start, I'm with CC (shared video) in that you wouldn't want them trying to push energy to flowers/fruit before going in the ground.
mapspringer
mapspringer

Male Posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 2/28/2013, 1:07 pm

bwaynef wrote:
littlejo wrote:I started most of my seeds on or about Feb. 1. My last frost date is near Mar. 5.

I'm not questioning the validity of that statement, but I'm shooting for closer to the beginning of April, ...so where are you getting your information? I'd expect you to be a couple of weeks earlier, but not 3-4 weeks.

I doubt that March 5 will have warm enough soil. I'm not far from you and we are expecting temps in the 20s on the 3rd and 4th of March.

You really need to pot up! Otherwise, I think you are in fine shape. Just wait until the soil warms up a bit - at least a couple more weeks.

As to de-budding the peppers, your choice. If you leave them, you'll likely have early peppers, but somewhat smaller plants. If you remove the buds, they'll continue to grow, and be larger plants when they fruit. You might want to try some each way and see what happens.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 2/28/2013, 5:38 pm

Pollinator, I don't know exactly where you are in SC. I'm in Cottageville, which is 18 miles east of Walterboro
Charleston, SC is Mar 9
Savannah, Ga is Mar 1
I figure I'm about, sort of, 1/2 way between the 2.
I got that info here:
http://www.almanac.com/content/frost-chart-united-states

Also, I've looked at the trees, what is blooming and what is not, and some old time weather/garden folklore. Types of trees have their own frost, fruit trees, redbud, etc.(They are all in bloom plus the azaelas, tuplip trees, etc) The last frost of the season is dogwood winter, they have their buds ready to pop, and we are expecting snow flurries on the 3rd.
Spring may arrive next week or so, and then within 2 to 3 weeks it will probably be in the 80's, and we will be wishing for some more winter.
Different sites have different frost data, but I do know that April will hit the 90's.
I won't put them in the ground til I know for sure.(Hoping to get a greenhouse, maybe if the forest in the house grows!)
Jo

Last edited by littlejo on 2/28/2013, 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Senior moment)
littlejo
littlejo

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 2/28/2013, 9:35 pm

camprn wrote:Jo, in regards to the pepper plants... they are 6 " tall and one stem ? If that is the case, go ahead and pinch the topmost growing tip and the flower buds. If you have the plants in small cell pot, you should probably pot up, because you NEED to not set these out too early and the longer the roots are in a small pot the plant will be stressed.
Thanks Camp, only 1 stem! I measured 2, shortest and tallest. The tallest is just a little less than 6in and the shortest(with blooms) is only 3.5 in.
Started seed too soon? Pic_0516
CC Thanks for the video. I would never have trimmed my pepper plants that much! But will try something to have my own home grown transplants

I checked the seed starting times in the ANSFG book and found, peppers-7 weeks before last frost- transplant 2 weeks after. Tomatoes- 6 weeks before last frost-transplant week of last frost. It's only been 4 weeks since I started these seeds! Only thing I've done was water with worm tea! I guess I should hold off on the worm tea next year.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/28/2013, 9:48 pm

Oh darn that awful worm tea!
Laughing
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  johnsonjlj 3/1/2013, 5:31 am

Littlejo, I'm having the same problem! I planted my seeds about 6 weeks ago, knowing that we planted our garden the first weekend in March last year (my first garden). Needless to say, I have blooms on my squash plants and freezing weather predicted for 2-4 nights during the next week, depending upon who's forecast you look at. Shocked I'm hoping to plant Wednesday or Thursday next week when the night temps get above 40 degrees.

Started seed too soon? 2013-012
This photo was taken almost 2 weeks ago.

I'm in north Florida and my last average frost date is about March 8. According to the info on Dave's Garden website (he gets his info from the National Climactic Data Center), when I put in your zip code the average last frost date is March 28.
johnsonjlj
johnsonjlj

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 3/1/2013, 5:57 am

quiltbea wrote:I love the idea of starting early indoors, but I worry about them growing too large. The larger they are transplanted outdoors the harder on the little plant with transplant shock, from what I understand. I've never waited too long so don't have first hand experience with transplanting already-blooming veggies but heard that its not a good thing.
Anyone had any experience with this?

My neighbor always buys transplants and last year was the first year I ever started my own from seeds. He had some tomatoes and I had a variety he wanted to try some I gave him 6 tomatoes plants.

The odd thing was that they out grew his store bought and more mature plants. So was it a better medium, quality of seeds, or they adapt more readily. This is were experience comes in handy......
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef 3/1/2013, 9:37 am

According to the frost dates given @ Daves Garden (http://davesgarden.com/guides/freeze-frost-dates/index.php?q=29435 <--I think that link works)

Temperature 10% 20% 30% 40% 50% 60% 70% 80% 90%
Spring 32° Apr 16 Apr 9 Apr 5 Apr 1 Mar 28 Mar 24 Mar 20 Mar 14 Mar 6

I read that as 10% of the time, the last frost date is March 6 or before. 50% of the time, the last frost date is March 28 or before. 90% of the time, the last frost date is April 16 or before.
bwaynef
bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 3/1/2013, 11:22 am

I have compared data from Dave's site and several others. I suppose the almanac site used the 90% numbers.
I will not rely on any of these folks 100%. If I put any of my plants out early, I will put a plastic tent/hoop of sorts over them.
I do want to plant early so maybe I can get ahead of the bugs. The field farmers are planting most things next wk, including corn. My eggplant and okra and sw. potatoes won't go out til the soil is warm.

My pine trees are already in full bloom. In yrs past, my allergies would flare up, and I would have to go in house and turn on the air cond, but, this yr it is too cool for that, so, I think spring is here, and it will be a hot summer.

I trimmed all of my pepper plants back, except for the smallest one. I just want to see if I can get a pepper on a tiny plant. I up-potted all to larger cups and will continue re-potting til I can move them outside.

I plan on starting my other seeds in the house today, if poss. If I put out transplants instead of DS, maybe I can get ahead of the bugs.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down