Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cattle panel Tomato arch anyone? Toplef10Cattle panel Tomato arch anyone? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cattle panel Tomato arch anyone? I22gcj10Cattle panel Tomato arch anyone? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cattle panel Tomato arch anyone? Toplef10Cattle panel Tomato arch anyone? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cattle panel Tomato arch anyone? I22gcj10Cattle panel Tomato arch anyone? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Cattle panel Tomato arch anyone?

+8
Lemonie
Lindacol
jewlz2121
cheyannarach
camprn
southern gardener
RoOsTeR
llama momma
12 posters

Go down

Cattle panel Tomato arch anyone? Empty Cattle panel Tomato arch anyone?

Post  llama momma 2/19/2013, 8:29 am

I have been searching for pictures on this forum for a successful cattle panel tomato arch. I'm interested in seeing reinforcement ideas that work with heavy wind.

I plan on the basic 4 ft by 16 ft arch, supported at both bottoms with attached 3 or 4 metal green posts /maybe rebars too, and clamped to the sfg beds. The sfg beds are spaced apart 7 feet. This will bring the top of the arch down to about 6 1/2 feet tall. Has anyone used a horizontal brace inside the top of the arch? I'd like to see that. Or else I'll improvise with something... Also I want to run the tunnel east/westerly to help handle strong westerly winds around here.

I've seen pictures of arches that didn't work. Now I'd love to see what works. Any advice re: any of this is greatly appreciated.

llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Cattle panel Tomato arch anyone? Empty Re: Cattle panel Tomato arch anyone?

Post  RoOsTeR 2/19/2013, 9:22 am

Lm, I don't use arches, however I do use green metal t-posts as support for my cattle panel trellis'. Works great! My panels are between 9-10' tall and we have times of extreme high winds here along the Colorado front range. 50-75mph at times. No problems! I see no reason why the same support wouldn't work for arches. Good luck!
Cattle panel Tomato arch anyone? 20120811_125447
Cattle panel Tomato arch anyone? 20120811_125508

Cattle panel Tomato arch anyone? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/19/2013, 11:07 am

Rooster, Thank You so much for the great pictures. Are the green posts 6 footers and attached with wire onto the panels?

I think this idea is better than an arch. Pretty much the same growing space without the concern of the arch collapsing or plants tangling at the top. That's probably some mess to cut down at the end of the season too. Especially for a short person like me. My other concern is for the north side companion plants receiving too much shade from tomatoes. Ok then I choose function over beauty!

Last edited by llama momma on 2/19/2013, 11:09 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : advertisemnt came up on an underlined word then disappeared (?) wanted to let rooster know, oops it came back I can't get rid of this!! help)
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 2/19/2013, 11:22 am

Yes 6 footers attached with wire.

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 2/20/2013, 2:46 am

here is our arch. it goes North/South, not East to West like you are wanting. Our plants never grew tall enough to climb, so I can't tell you how it worked, but it did withstand some crazy high winds...

Cattle panel Tomato arch anyone? Archga10
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/20/2013, 6:17 am

Hey SG, nice arches! How far apart are those beds?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Cattle panel Tomato arch anyone? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/20/2013, 7:24 am

Thanks Rooster.
SouthernG- nice picture. Looks like the bottoms are supported with conduit?
And yes my current imaginary arch would have run east-west to deal with strong storm winds from the west. Can't find any pictures on this forum with a fully loaded 16 ft. arch of heavy plants. So for now I am sticking with Rooster's plan.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 2/20/2013, 10:15 am

I had some but I can't find the pictures of the fully loaded arches, just when the plants started to take off... But I loved them and they looked sooo pretty all full of green, like a magical tunnel! I grew canteloupe, sugar baby watermelon, spaghetti squash, and cukes last year on them. I was nice not to have the spot on them from laying on the ground. This year I am growing beans and tomatoes up them! Have fun building llamamama!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 2/20/2013, 10:47 am

camprn wrote:Hey SG, nice arches! How far apart are those beds?

Camp: Those particular beds are 4' apart. The top of the trellis is prob 6 1/2 feet? I just had my hubby make them so I could reach without a ladder Smile
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  jewlz2121 4/25/2013, 9:48 am

RoOsTeR wrote:Lm, I don't use arches, however I do use green metal t-posts as support for my cattle panel trellis'. Works great! My panels are between 9-10' tall and we have times of extreme high winds here along the Colorado front range. 50-75mph at times. No problems! I see no reason why the same support wouldn't work for arches. Good luck!
Cattle panel Tomato arch anyone? 20120811_125447
Cattle panel Tomato arch anyone? 20120811_125508

How deep are your t-posts dug down? Trying to prepare my husband for more hole digging! I'm trying to decide how tall I want my panels to be. Tractor Supply has the 6ft t posts on sale this week. They will be holding mostly tomatos and cucs.
jewlz2121
jewlz2121

Female Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 4/25/2013, 11:35 am

No hole digging - you need to buy or borrow a post driver.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/YARDGARD-Fence-Post-Driver-901147A/202024132#.UXlNHaJO-8A

Last edited by Lindacol on 4/25/2013, 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add content)
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie 4/25/2013, 12:18 pm

I haven't used my arch for tomatoes yet as I try to keep it available for my heavy duty plants like watermelon, cantaloupe and pumpkin. My tomatoes have done really well on my conduit & netting trellis, but it's also against a fence to give it more support. Here is a pic of my arch between my two 2x3 wicking beds.
Cattle panel Tomato arch anyone? Photo11
Cattle panel Tomato arch anyone? Photo210
This pic shows how I have it attached to the boxes w/ just long, heavy-duty nails that are bent over it to hold it in place. This is the 3rd season with it and haven't had issues with it holding up to storms (though we may not have the gusts here that you have?).
Lemonie
Lemonie

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  jewlz2121 4/25/2013, 1:01 pm

Lindacol wrote:No hole digging - you need to buy or borrow a post driver.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/YARDGARD-Fence-Post-Driver-901147A/202024132#.UXlNHaJO-8A

Thanks. How deep do you put the t-posts under ground?
And how high are your cattle panel walls?
jewlz2121
jewlz2121

Female Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 4/25/2013, 3:59 pm

jewlz2121 wrote:

There is a wider plate about 12 to 18" from the bottom(depending on how long the post is overall). You pound the post in til that plate is in the ground. That gives it a good anchor.
I'm not the original poster but I use various sizes from 4 to 6 ft above the ground for my trellises. I have T posts and cattle panels as also I use them for goat pens.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 4/25/2013, 11:10 pm

All of these are so beautiful! I can only imagine how even more beautiful they all are with plants on them!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 4/26/2013, 1:21 am

Lemonie wrote:I haven't used my arch for tomatoes yet as I try to keep it available for my heavy duty plants like watermelon, cantaloupe and pumpkin. My tomatoes have done really well on my conduit & netting trellis, but it's also against a fence to give it more support. Here is a pic of my arch between my two 2x3 wicking beds.
Cattle panel Tomato arch anyone? Photo11
Cattle panel Tomato arch anyone? Photo210
This pic shows how I have it attached to the boxes w/ just long, heavy-duty nails that are bent over it to hold it in place. This is the 3rd season with it and haven't had issues with it holding up to storms (though we may not have the gusts here that you have?).

I have a wicking bed also. I'm curious, how did you build yours?

I'll bet that trellis looks pretty amazing with melons and pumpkins hanging on it! Very Happy
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 4/26/2013, 9:06 am

jewlz2121 wrote:

jewlz, you can buy the t-posts in different lengths. I typically use 6 footers. There is a spade type deal about 18" inches up or so from the bottom.
http://www.gemplers.com/product/163947/T-style-Fence-Posts?gclid=CJPOu-6y6LYCFVQFMgod_nkAkQ&sku=163947&CID=25SEPLA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=WEB163946&ef_id=QZ5QLj9reDoAAF1E20130426130444s
You bury it to at least below that. And yes, you definitely need a driver to pound them in. They can be very difficult to remove once in though. To remove them, I attach a chain to the bucket of my tractor and lift them out. There are other devices sold to remove them, but that's the economical and easiest way for me.

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/26/2013, 10:52 am

Gadz Rooster, you must have some hard azz ground. My posts go in easily with a hammer and come out when wiggled back and forth. Of course I live on a sand bar... Rolling Eyes

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  slimbolen99 4/26/2013, 1:00 pm

Great ideas on the arching trellis' between the planter boxes. Will have to give that a try next year!
slimbolen99
slimbolen99

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie 4/26/2013, 4:05 pm

jazzycat wrote:I have a wicking bed also. I'm curious, how did you build yours?

I'll bet that trellis looks pretty amazing with melons and pumpkins hanging on it! Very Happy
Not to hijack the thread, but I used large yogurt containers in those small beds for the wicks. I drilled lots of small holes in them and then stuffed them with old foam cushion pieces because our neighbor reupholsters and throws it out all the time. The boxes are completely lined in plastic (though needs to be replaced soon) and there is an overflow hole on the back of the box. The design has worked well, but I think I will use the black 8mil plastic from now on as it seems to hold up better to inclement weather damage. I also have two, 2x12 wicking beds and it's a true time and water saver for me as I'm a bit of a negligent gardener. Embarassed
The arch itself is beautiful when full....though we have to walk through it very slowly in the morning when the bees around.
Lemonie
Lemonie

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 4/26/2013, 4:19 pm

Lemonie wrote:
jazzycat wrote:I have a wicking bed also. I'm curious, how did you build yours?

Not to hijack the thread, but I used large yogurt containers in those small beds for the wicks. I drilled lots of small holes in them and then stuffed them with old foam cushion pieces because our neighbor reupholsters and throws it out all the time. The boxes are completely lined in plastic (though needs to be replaced soon) and there is an overflow hole on the back of the box. The design has worked well, but I think I will use the black 8mil plastic from now on as it seems to hold up better to inclement weather damage. I also have two, 2x12 wicking beds and it's a true time and water saver for me as I'm a bit of a negligent gardener. Embarassed
The arch itself is beautiful when full....though we have to walk through it very slowly in the morning when the bees around.

hahaha Do you have any photos of it when it's full with fruit? I would LOVE to see that! Very Happy Do you support the heavy pumpkins with something tied underneath them? Or do they hang fine on their own? I'm growing some melons (cantaloupe and watermelon), so I'm going to have to come up with some kind of way to support them. This trellis idea seems like a pretty good one. Will it support watermelons, do you think? How many plants per square did you use? And what did you plant in the front squares? Some greens or something? (sorry for all the questions)

My wicking bed is also working great so far. Yesterday I added water for the first time, even though it probably wasn't necessary yet. I'm shocked at how well the plants are doing in that bed! What a Face
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie 4/26/2013, 4:40 pm

jazzycat wrote: hahaha Do you have any photos of it when it's full with fruit? I would LOVE to see that! Very Happy Do you support the heavy pumpkins with something tied underneath them? Or do they hang fine on their own? I'm growing some melons (cantaloupe and watermelon), so I'm going to have to come up with some kind of way to support them. This trellis idea seems like a pretty good one. Will it support watermelons, do you think? How many plants per square did you use? And what did you plant in the front squares? Some greens or something? (sorry for all the questions)

My wicking bed is also working great so far. Yesterday I added water for the first time, even though it probably wasn't necessary yet. I'm shocked at how well the plants are doing in that bed! What a Face

Unfortunately, I do not have pictures of it in bloom. This year, I am trying to have some cold crops (snap peas, lettuce, kale, cabbage) close to the arch and my melons/pumpkins in the back squares...trying this in hopes that the vines may shade and lengthen the harvest of cold crops and also make it easier to manage their huge leaves. As the cold crops are spent, I will pull them out and they other plants will have about 2sq/ea. I also have green beans in the front corners as they really take off and cover the arch. and nasturtium and marigold are about to go in right behind them. I really need to make sure I get pics this year!
I do support the large fruits with mesh bags (like from buying oranges) when I feel I need to...but most of mine are small varieties and haven't needed much.
Lemonie
Lemonie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down