Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Renewing our soil Toplef10Renewing our soil 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Renewing our soil I22gcj10Renewing our soil 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Renewing our soil Toplef10Renewing our soil 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Renewing our soil I22gcj10Renewing our soil 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Renewing our soil

+2
boffer
bjwinterton
6 posters

Go down

Renewing our soil Empty Renewing our soil

Post  bjwinterton 4/17/2010, 8:28 pm

Question? As I planted my strawberries, they were surrounded with soil and cottage cheese like styrafoam stuff. I felt sick seeing all of this 'junk' going in my beautiful Mel's Mix. Other starter plants have added the same stuff into the garden soil. So, in the fall do add in more of Mel's complete mix, or do I just add manuer? It seems like the peat moss and vermiculite would outlast the compost.

I need to figure this out so that when I do a second planting in a box I know what to do.
bjwinterton

Back to top Go down

Renewing our soil Empty little onions dying

Post  bjwinterton 4/17/2010, 8:34 pm

My scallions came up and green, then the thin tiny tips went brown, and within two days they were dead! Is this the seeds?

I've also got corn planted in an entire box and only 1/2 of the seeds have come up. Is it my seeds? ?? I'm confused.

All of my other boxes are growing and doing well. Okay, the lettuce looks a little like the scallions. Too much water, not enough?

Squash is doing great, strawberries, raddishes, potatos, tomatoes, strawberries, etc. Just seem to be loosing the battle with the ones mentioned above. Anyone finding the same problems or have solutions?
bjwinterton

Back to top Go down

Renewing our soil Empty Re: Renewing our soil

Post  boffer 4/17/2010, 9:01 pm

bjwinterton wrote:
I've also got corn planted in an entire box and only 1/2 of the seeds have come up. Is it my seeds? ?? I'm confused.

I can only speak to the corn issue. Corn seeds prefer soil temperature at 60 degrees F and up for best germination and production. In a good summer, I'll have 95+ % germination rate. In a bad summer, I'll get less than 10% germination. Could it be your weather?

Corn doesn't transplant well, but, if you have some of the same seeds left, germinate them indoors to see what kind of germination rate you get. In warm temps, you should see close to 90% germination rate if your seeds are viable.

If you made your Mel's mix according to his recipe, you probably haven't over watered.

That's all I can think of to offer. I haven't had your experience with scallions.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/17/2010, 9:06 pm

bjwinterton wrote:Question? As I planted my strawberries, they were surrounded with soil and cottage cheese like styrafoam stuff.
Did it look something like this? Renewing our soil Soil_1
If it did, that is perlite, commonly used in horticulture soil mix. see here for info.

Last edited by camprn on 4/17/2010, 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 4/17/2010, 9:07 pm

bjwinterton wrote: So, in the fall do add in more of Mel's complete mix, or do I just add manuer? It seems like the peat moss and vermiculite would outlast the compost.
I need to figure this out so that when I do a second planting in a box I know what to do.
Just add compost as it has the nutrients the second planting will need. The vermiculite and the peat moss should be holding their own just fine and won't need replacing or replenishing.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  choksaw 4/17/2010, 11:55 pm

I nice little trick i learned for corn is to lett he Kernel soak in warm water over night then place them between some damp paper towels and put them in a warm spot keep the paper towels damp after about 3 or 4 days you will see a little tail on the viable seeds now youre ready to plant the seeds ive had a much better success rate doing this then just plunking a seed in the ground.

I dont do a whole lot with transplants from the nursery or store i grow most of my veggies from seed but the seeds that i do trasplant from indoor to outdoors seem to take better and faster if you trim the roots just a bit with a pair of sharp gardening sheers and i also tease the roots appart befor i plant them with a fork so instead of a ball clump the roots are kind of spread out a bit, you have to be very gentle when doing this or you can destroy the root system (found out the hardway). The only ones you wouldnt want to do this to are plants that are known to be finiky about their roots being disturbed (cucumbers melons zucchini)
choksaw
choksaw

Male Posts : 459

Back to top Go down

Renewing our soil Empty Renewing our soil

Post  bjwinterton 4/18/2010, 4:32 pm

Thanks, you have all given me perfect information! Thanks for the perlite photo and article -- took the fear our of what I was adding to mel's mix. I'm going to try soaking some seeds and then filling in the blanks spots. I might have planted the corn too early if heat is a factor. As far as my scallions -- looks like I'll be buying them at the grocery store.

I'm new at this and I'll just keep plugging away, sure is helpful to have input.

Thanks! Renewing our soil Icon_biggrin
bjwinterton

Back to top Go down

Post  choksaw 4/18/2010, 4:37 pm

Being that this is only my 2nd season gardening here in florida alot fo what i do from seed is trial and error so i bought a 5 subject notebook and started takeing notes to help improve things if something i did last year didnt work out so well or i was too early on something i jot it down for when i get ready for next season and try somethig a little diffrent
choksaw
choksaw

Male Posts : 459

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 4/19/2010, 8:56 am

choksaw wrote:Being that this is only my 2nd season gardening here in florida alot fo what i do from seed is trial and error so i bought a 5 subject notebook and started takeing notes to help improve things if something i did last year didnt work out so well or i was too early on something i jot it down for when i get ready for next season and try somethig a little diffrent

That's a great idea. I've been using a monthly desk calendar, but not much room to make detailed notes. Think I'll supplement with a notebook.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down