Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Newbie researching like crazy! Toplef10Newbie researching like crazy! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Newbie researching like crazy! I22gcj10Newbie researching like crazy! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Newbie researching like crazy! Toplef10Newbie researching like crazy! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Newbie researching like crazy! I22gcj10Newbie researching like crazy! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Newbie researching like crazy!

+8
ksuhampton
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Lemonie
cheyannarach
Thomas
kat51415
camprn
gardensqd
12 posters

Go down

Newbie researching like crazy! Empty Newbie researching like crazy!

Post  gardensqd 1/29/2013, 5:09 pm

I've bought the book, read it, and now planning like crazy to get everything ready late Feb, early March. My biggest concern is protecting my garden. I'm on 1/2 acre and we do not have a fence. No one in the neighborhood really does, so that it is more open. Problem is that we are near the edge of a forest and any given day I can have about 7 deer in my back yard! Do I have to go all out and put up a fence, or should I be okay with the critter cages (not sure what I'd do about the trellis) and maybe try some Irish Spring soap? I only plan on starting with 2 4x4 boxes (each with a trellis). I may be over thinking this, but this part is keeping me up at night, LOL!

Last edited by gardensqd on 1/29/2013, 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
gardensqd
gardensqd

Back to top Go down

Newbie researching like crazy! Empty Re: Newbie researching like crazy!

Post  camprn 1/29/2013, 5:57 pm

Greetings and glad you\'re here to the SFG Forum! To answer your question about protecting your garden, yes, a fence of some sort is the best defense against deer. I think they just walk around the soap bars. The good news is that you will have a small area to fence in... unless you expand your garden plans. Wink Good luck!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Newbie researching like crazy! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Newbie researching like crazy! Empty If you have deer, I bet you have bunnies too!

Post  kat51415 1/29/2013, 6:31 pm

Welcome! The folks on the forum are awesome. Most any question will get answered. And, yep, I'd fence in my boxes. We went past just the usual fence and added bunny fence on top of the deer fence and left the zip tie ends sticking out. We used chicken wire zip tied to the net wire. We dug a ditch and extended the chicken wire down into it then backfilled over it. We didn't see any sign of either critter on the wrong side of the fence.

Newbie researching like crazy! 5_the_11

This is the beginning of the bunny fence. Love my lil Mantis!

Newbie researching like crazy! 7_bunn11

Part of my bunny ditch crew finding huge worms as a benefit of their work. The kids and grandkids had a ball working on this together.

Newbie researching like crazy! 10_clo11

This is a close up of the bunny fence with the zip ties sticking out.
kat51415
kat51415

Female Posts : 91

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas 1/29/2013, 6:49 pm

great pictures. I keep studying the forum but I am still clueless on how you post pictures. I have read that you post them to a public site, but I am too computer illiterate to decipher that. Any info on this would be appreciated.
Thomas
Thomas

Back to top Go down

Newbie researching like crazy! Empty Here's one way:

Post  kat51415 1/29/2013, 7:12 pm

There is a thread in the forum that tells you how to do it. Here's a link to the thread.

How to post a picture located on your computer
kat51415
kat51415

Female Posts : 91

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 1/29/2013, 7:56 pm

I would put a fence up if you can afford it. I have a deer problem and I have boxes all over around my house and it is pretty much impossible to fence it in. I had pretty good luck last year with coffee grounds all over the grden and the yard and I also sprinkled cayenne pepper all over my plants but they ended up getting the best of me by the end and it is devestating when you go through all that hardwork just to feed the deer. I am trying t come up with solutions this year. Hubby got my a paintball gun for Christmas Twisted Evil that will be fun, at least I will be able to pick out retuning offenders, muahahahaha.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie 1/29/2013, 9:12 pm

welcome to the forum and SFG!
I have a fenced in back yard and still benefitted from a perimeter fence secured to my boxes to keep the pups and toddler out and it also doubles as a nice support to secure the plastic and bug netting to as needed. If you're looking for frugal, I've seen people use anything from free pallets and a basic roll of netting. If you're looking for long term and ready to invest a little, a nice tall fence should keep those deer out of YOUR harvest. You might even find some good options on craigslist or freecycle. My mom had mentioned she was looking into an ultrasonic, solar powered deterant device, but she hasn't found one worth getting yet to know how well they work.
Have fun in your research and keep us posted on your plans! good job!
Lemonie
Lemonie

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  gardensqd 1/29/2013, 9:26 pm

Thanks for the tips so far! Hubby wants to fence in our backyard, but we'd be starting a trend, but that would def solve a lot of the issues!
gardensqd
gardensqd

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 1/29/2013, 11:17 pm

Here's another option: http://strawbalegardens.com/store/motion-sensor-sprinkler

A motion sensor sprinkler that triggers when any critter comes into your space. Deer are shy and I have heard good things from people in my area using them.

We have a large dog and 25 head of cattle that seem to keep them away.

At my old house, further up the mountains and deeper into deer territory, my next door neighbor had terrible problems with the deer so we gave him bags of our dog's hair. He's a long hair and when he is shedding we get bags of it. He spread that around his roses that they had been chomping down on and they never came around.

Good luck & Welcome!
Audrey
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gardensqd 2/7/2013, 10:56 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:Here's another option: http://strawbalegardens.com/store/motion-sensor-sprinkler

A motion sensor sprinkler that triggers when any critter comes into your space. Deer are shy and I have heard good things from people in my area using them.

We have a large dog and 25 head of cattle that seem to keep them away.

At my old house, further up the mountains and deeper into deer territory, my next door neighbor had terrible problems with the deer so we gave him bags of our dog's hair. He's a long hair and when he is shedding we get bags of it. He spread that around his roses that they had been chomping down on and they never came around.

Good luck & Welcome!
Audrey

I'm liking this idea!
gardensqd
gardensqd

Back to top Go down

Post  ksuhampton 2/17/2013, 8:29 pm

I have been told to use human hair as well. The barber will give it to you.
ksuhampton
ksuhampton

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 2/18/2013, 12:24 pm

I have seen powdered coyote urine will work. Two sources are Deer Out (tm) deer repellent and Liquid Fence Repellent. These have to be reapplied every 3-4 months. Will also keep other prey animals out too.
Gunny
Gunny

Male Posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 2/18/2013, 6:27 pm

Only way to keep deer out is a fence.
We live close to the middle of town, herds of deer browse here, I blocked their normal path they come in off the street, only one way out.
Our deer are humanized (thats what bears are called in the smokie mts when no longer afraid of humans)
I have sat at night by our pear tree, they are within 15 feet of me and still eat while they look at me..you bet they smell me, our houses are 10 feet apart here, people all over the place.
I fenced my small garden with small tress from the woods, placed branches crossways with 2x3 wire keeping rabbits out.
My fence wire is only 3 feet hi, that's hi enough to keep deer from jumping through because I have 5 ft hi angle irons hammered deep down to keep the beds secured.
Wisteria, mornng glories, and kiwi plants drape around the fence in nice weather.
The deer will not jump into an area they sense as dangerous.
Believe me, other than a fox, or a dog keeping watch ((AINT)) nothing gonna keep them from eating but a fence, well maybe lead will, but thats a one on one deal.I have pics I can send you if you like, not going to place them in an online program.
Jimmy
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/18/2013, 7:22 pm

We had deer stroll thru our yard as well. Even nibbled from the bird feeders.

Newbie researching like crazy! Deer_410

But when they nearly wiped out my newly-planted dwarf orchard I tried a trick with soap. Using Irish Spring (I heard it must be a deodorant soap), I dropped one in a net bag and tied the bag to a short fence around each of my trees. I just couldn't fence in the area no-way no-how. I placed them beside each tree. I now hang 2 or 3 around each tree.

Newbie researching like crazy! 05-08-10

I couldn't believe it myself. Was it coincidence or just plain luck. I have no idea, but the deer never touched my trees again. The trees with chomped off limbs started to grow back and to date, no further deer problems. I refresh the soap each spring and leave it on thru the winter.

Newbie researching like crazy! 08-13-10

In 2012 I harvested the first 13 Red Haven peaches from my one peach tree and apples from my one Honeycrisp apple tree.

You could try it to see if the deer in your area come close where you hang some Irish Spring soaps then you'll know if it'll work for you. It may not work for you but it won't cost much to try it.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 2/18/2013, 7:48 pm

In time deer will become adjusted to the scent of whatever it is your using.I have had conversations about this with the PA game commission, along with our local PA state extension rep.
Just be careful and watch it.
Heck they even come and eat our Japanese Yews. I had to put up a deer fence for our 60 yr old yews
I do hope your soap continues to work for you
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  JustMe 2/18/2013, 10:57 pm

Hopefully this links. deer fencing Those are pictures of my garden 2 years ago with U-posts (I think that is what it is called) and plastic fencing. They are attached to the posts with velcro ties and open at the front and back of each box for access.

We are not allowed to have fences in our neighborhood unless they are around a pool. If anyone challenges it, then I will say it is not permanent - even though I leave it up all year. So that has been my solution for the past two years.

On the north end of the boxes - the side that is closed in the picture - I added trellises as described in the book to the gardens last year. Since the fencing is only 4' high or so, I draped bird netting onto the top of the trellis and onto the green fencing. The fencing on the trellis side is about a foot away from the box, but I figured the deer could lean into and chomp away.

So far, this has worked with keeping out the deer.
JustMe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum