Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What my winter/spring plans are... Toplef10What my winter/spring plans are... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What my winter/spring plans are... I22gcj10What my winter/spring plans are... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What my winter/spring plans are... Toplef10What my winter/spring plans are... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What my winter/spring plans are... I22gcj10What my winter/spring plans are... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What my winter/spring plans are...

+3
rainbowweaver
cheyannarach
givvmistamps
7 posters

Go down

What my winter/spring plans are... Empty What my winter/spring plans are...

Post  givvmistamps 1/24/2013, 10:19 pm

Hey guys. I know I kinda dropped off the face of the forum, but when it was suggested I should take time to look after myself, I took it to heart in a serious way. Can't promise I'll be around here much, but my family is planning to start the ol' seeds soon so I thought I'd drop by to say hullo to my gardening pals. I've missed y'all, but computers & I haven't gotten along much for months now. It's getting a little better, so count on seeing me around at least a little. Very Happy

Some stuff can be grown year-round in our region with no special protection (yeah!) and that's what I'm gonna concentrate on first. I'll be starting outdoors with rabbit food (carrots & greens), then moving on to the broccoli & cauliflower. Then I'll be getting my tomatoes & peppers started indoors to get a head-start on the first growing season for those. I learned a lot from my 1st year garden; the biggest lesson I learned is to plan on spring & fall growing instead of summer growing.

Drop me a line here so I can see who all is still around and who's been added to our regional family.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

What my winter/spring plans are... Empty Re: What my winter/spring plans are...

Post  cheyannarach 1/25/2013, 1:26 pm

Hey Michelle, nice to see you!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  rainbowweaver 2/2/2013, 11:48 pm

Hi! I'm near you, down in ole Alachua. I'm new to all this. Enjoyed reading and seeing the pics of your garden last year. Looking forward to seeing what you do this year, and any tips you have for this southern neighbor!
rainbowweaver
rainbowweaver

Female Posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/3/2013, 9:11 am

Good to hear from you! I was scarce around here for a while as well, taking care of myself - I know how that goes! Look forward to hearing more about this season's garden.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 2/3/2013, 11:11 am

Hi Michelle
Great to see you back, I also took a hiatus for awhile (I got so darned busy with the fall harvest Smile)
So back at another years gardening and planning.
What tomatoes are you growing? Inquiring minds want to know
Janet
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 2/20/2013, 9:27 am

Hey guys, glad to see some old friends and new neighbors! I won't be around daily most of the time, like I was for a while last year...Maybe I can shoot for weekly during the growing season? Anyway, there's been a delay in my seed-starting efforts thanks to dragging feet on my other half's part. bounce I really want to get started!

I'll make up a list of what I'm growing this year, let you all know when I start things, put up a map of my plots, post photos, etc, in my (hopefully) weekly posts, and be sure to answer questions as I can. I hope you all will share similar info, so we can all compare notes on varieties that do well in our regional situations...especially the heat. What a Face

I'm curious, is anyone else having an unbelievably difficult time with fleas? Our yard is so infested that nothing we do seems to get rid of them, and since we haven't had a good cold snap in nearly two years, the problem only gets worse. We notice it more having a furbaby to care for, but I know they weren't this bad before this year because my friends in town here are all having problems. I've been looking for all the organic alternative methods I can find to treat the yard, the house AND the dog. For the dog the only method that's come close to working is frequent bathing in a mixture of Dawn dish soap and vinegar...but his skin is now so dry we've had to resort in a non-organic solution; Frontline.

@ rainbowweaver: Alachua may be in a different growing zone...I'm 8b; I think you're in a slightly warmer climate? It won't make much difference in summer, but you might be able to grow more things than I in winter. I strongly suggest you look at the U of FL extension service information if you have questions. I believe that's still linked in the regional information at the top of our region page.

@ GWN: I'm trying Amish Paste tomatoes this year. I wanted an all-purpose tomato, and this is what the organic gardening store in Gainesville suggested. Fortunately I have a better idea of what growth habit indeterminate tomatoes have this year! Embarassed

It appears that my info to the left says I am still host, but don't let that fool you. When my health took a nosedive last year Rooster & I agreed it was best if I not continue in that position.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 2/20/2013, 11:00 am

As to flea infestation:

My last two vets have recommended a product called Revolution (TM) that they believe is far safer for pets than the competition. It also takes care of critters other than fleas, such as ticks.

I've had a great experience with Terminix over the last few years, a pest control company that uses fairly safe chemicals. In fact, when they sprayed the house, the cats and I never had to stay outside for more than 45 minutes, and I didn't have to move everything out of the cabinets. The technician seldom wore a mask. They will spray indoors and/or outdoors, depending upon the need.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 2/20/2013, 12:44 pm

For fleas the best I have found is Advantage. I have never used Revolution (have heard of lots of good results with it) but Advantage works far better than Frontline. I find that after I get the population knocked down I only need to use it once or twice a year. The 1st year I think we did 3 mos in a row. I have really big dogs - both well over 100 lbs - it is expensive(& not organic) but so worth it.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down