Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
newbie Toplef10newbie 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

newbie I22gcj10newbie 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
newbie Toplef10newbie 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

newbie I22gcj10newbie 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

+2
plantoid
Beanzieskid
6 posters

Go down

newbie Empty newbie

Post  Beanzieskid 1/3/2013, 10:20 am

Hello All! I hope you’re reading this little post from someplace warm! I'm hoping to start a garden this year. I live with my Mom in her house. She's hesitant to let me start a veggie/herb patch. Also, I have allergies and asthma and the summer months can be rough (I'm very allergic to all grass pollen and penicillium mold). BUT, I love fresh veggies and I think that veggies are beautiful, just as pretty (if not more so) than flowers. I'm poorer than dirt (our soil has five finger or false strawberry grass) and I don't have a lot of building experience. I'm worried about building the boxes and getting the ground level to put the boxes on. Any advice on how to save money on the start-up of this garden would be greatly appreciated. If not, cheering me on works wonders!!!
Best Wishes to Everyone!!!
Beanzie's Kid aka Tracy
Beanzieskid
Beanzieskid

Back to top Go down

newbie Empty Re: newbie

Post  plantoid 1/3/2013, 6:48 pm

Welcome ,
It often seems daunting when setting up fro the first time.
See if you can get hold of the book quoted in my strap line it is our main line of attack in it there are lots of pictures and ideas to work with.

What sort of sized bed are you looking to start with ?

If you have access to a spade , rake and long handled hoe it shouldnt take too long if it is fairly flat and rock free to chip rake and scrape it even flatter. Weeds can be smothered with some weed blanket material but this is me saying things that may not be appropiate for the type of ground you have .

Bung up some info on the type of ground you have where you wan it etc

Have a good look at the bobbly knobs on the left side of your screen to pick up lots of free info .

When I came to the site I spent several 8 hr days reading as much of the site as I could , it's come in handy for I now have a better bigger picture of what it is all about.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 1/3/2013, 10:28 pm

welcome to SFG Very Happy

new's papper and cardboard make a great weed block and they also break down feeding the worms but keeping the weeds out... Very Happy if you can get a hold of some you can layer starting with the news paper first down and then wet it real good and then apply the cardboard....both of these you should be able to find for free...

you can use anything to create your veggie box....if you have some big box stores you might be able to find used pallets that they are throwing out....that you could then break down and use the lumber to build your SFG veggie box....again free....you could also go by job sites to see if they have any crates/pallets they are getting rid of or maybe even some scrap wood.....

for your mel's mix a 1/3 rd of the mix is compost.....you need to get at least five differnt composts.....check craigs lists for free animal manures.....take a ride around your town and see if you can find any farms or horse stalls that would be happy to have you take some of the animal manure off of their hands.....start now building your own compost so you in time can have your own compost......you can buy the compost but looking for free is cheaper Very Happy

most of all get your hands on the all new square foot garden book.....check to see if your local library has it....again....free Very Happy

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 1/3/2013, 10:39 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:welcome to SFG Very Happy

new's papper and cardboard make a great weed block and they also break down feeding the worms but keeping the weeds out... Very Happy if you can get a hold of some you can layer starting with the news paper first down and then wet it real good and then apply the cardboard....both of these you should be able to find for free...

you can use anything to create your veggie box....if you have some big box stores you might be able to find used pallets that they are throwing out....that you could then break down and use the lumber to build your SFG veggie box....again free....you could also go by job sites to see if they have any crates/pallets they are getting rid of or maybe even some scrap wood.....

for your mel's mix a 1/3 rd of the mix is compost.....you need to get at least five differnt composts.....check craigs lists for free animal manures.....take a ride around your town and see if you can find any farms or horse stalls that would be happy to have you take some of the animal manure off of their hands.....start now building your own compost so you in time can have your own compost......you can buy the compost but looking for free is cheaper Very Happy

most of all get your hands on the all new square foot garden book.....check to see if your local library has it....again....free Very Happy

happy gardening
rose

+1, and welcome to the forum!! Also llama and rabbit poo don't have to be composted, they can go straight to the garden!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/4/2013, 7:27 am

cheyannarach wrote:

Also llama and rabbit poo don't have to be composted, they can go straight to the garden!
Goat pellets can go right in the garden as well.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

newbie WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  czechens 1/4/2013, 7:29 am

Cheering you on! I'm a complete newbie as well, so I have nothing at all to offer in the way of advice but lots of enthusiasm for the project. I have the original SBG book, which I'm working through very slowly - dreaming of spring and looking forward to getting some seedlings started in my basement (first timer for that as well). We'll climb this steep learning curve together!
czechens
czechens

Female Posts : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/4/2013, 4:07 pm

may I suggest you try and get the newer book ( see my strap line for details ) for there is a better explanation of the use and making of the MM soilless growth medium rather than focusing on using ammended mother natures own soil.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down