Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Suggestions for bush type French green bean  Toplef10Suggestions for bush type French green bean  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Suggestions for bush type French green bean  I22gcj10Suggestions for bush type French green bean  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Suggestions for bush type French green bean  Toplef10Suggestions for bush type French green bean  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Suggestions for bush type French green bean  I22gcj10Suggestions for bush type French green bean  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Suggestions for bush type French green bean

+2
camprn
durham64
6 posters

Go down

Suggestions for bush type French green bean  Empty Suggestions for bush type French green bean

Post  durham64 12/30/2012, 1:58 pm

I am totally new to growing green beans, so I know nothing about them, but love, love, love eating them. I am looking for something that is good for steaming and dressing with an olive oil type mixture.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
durham64
durham64

Female Posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for bush type French green bean  Empty Re: Suggestions for bush type French green bean

Post  camprn 12/30/2012, 2:20 pm

Are you looking for a french style bean or one you can cut in a french style?

I am going to give up on my bush beans because they grow upwards of 2 feet and just don't give me as much bang for my SFG buck. I am planting more Rattlesnake beans and put them on a 6 foot trellis. They are good producers and easy to freeze.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Suggestions for bush type French green bean  WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for bush type French green bean  Empty Re: Suggestions for bush type French green bean

Post  Lindacol 12/30/2012, 3:48 pm

The bush bean I love is Dragon Tongue. It is not green when cooked but is so good.
It is a true bush bean - does not try to climb. I grew it in a tabletop in 8" of MM. I only grew 2 squares this year and will grow more next year.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  durham64 12/30/2012, 4:06 pm

camprn,

I am looking for a French style bean. I used to get some at a local farmer's market when I lived in Nashville. I would just pick up a bunch and throw them in the steamer then dress them with garlic and butter or olive oil. I'm not sure what kind they were, but the vendor at the market said they were French green beans.

Thanks for your help. Where would I learn about Rattlesnake beans? I haven't heard of them, but coming from me, that doesn't mean a whole lot. lol!
durham64
durham64

Back to top Go down

Post  durham64 12/30/2012, 4:09 pm

Lindacol,

Dragon Tongue sounds very interesting. What color are they and where would I find information on them?

I really appreciate your help!
durham64
durham64

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 12/30/2012, 4:19 pm

durham64 wrote:Lindacol,

Dragon Tongue sounds very interesting. What color are they and where would I find information on them?

I really appreciate your help!

They are light green with purple streaks but loose their color when cooked and are almost white (strange looking the first time you cook them) but taste like the best green beans you have ever had.

Several of the seed catalogs have them. Here is one (with lots of reviews)

http://rareseeds.com/dragon-tongue-bush-bean.html
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  durham64 12/30/2012, 4:24 pm

Lindacol,

Thanks so much, I will definitely go check them out!
durham64
durham64

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/30/2012, 4:47 pm

Here is another link for dragon tongue bean info.
http://myfolia.com/plants/35-bean-phaseolus-vulgaris/varieties/5856-dragons-tongue

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Suggestions for bush type French green bean  WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 12/30/2012, 4:48 pm

Durham, you could try the Filet beans. They are a bush bean that grows very slim and long, and are tasty raw right from the garden, pod and all. Sometimes called Verandon or something like that. They are a French Filet bean. You can lightly steam them if you like. They are becoming quite popular and costly in the markets. We've found them superb.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 12/30/2012, 5:19 pm

Burpee appears to carry one that looks promising

Bush French Green Bean
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  durham64 12/30/2012, 5:35 pm

bnoles, quiltbea and camprn,

Sorry, the forum will not let me use the "quote" feature yet. I haven't met my 7 day membership, nevertheless...

camprn, Thanks so much for the additional link. I will check that one out also.

quiltbea, I know I must sound utterly ridiculous, but is the Filet bean a variety of bean that can be obtained at most seed companies or is it something specific? I am so "bean knowledgeless", lol.

bnoles, Thanks for the info on Burpee. I haven't received their catalog yet, but I will jump on their website and see what I can find.

A great big thanks to everyone for your help! Keep it coming, because I am like a sponge, soaking up all the info I can get.
durham64
durham64

Back to top Go down

Post  durham64 12/30/2012, 5:45 pm

I found a bush French green bean called "Bean Beananzza" on the Burpee Website. Anyone had any experience with this one?
durham64
durham64

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/30/2012, 6:06 pm

durham64 wrote:I found a bush French green bean called "Bean Beananzza" on the Burpee Website. Anyone had any experience with this one?
I was still a bit confused about the term 'French Bean' so I looked it up and it just means fresh green bean. Is this what you mean by French bean?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_bean

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  durham64 12/30/2012, 6:32 pm

camprn,

Honestly, I'm not sure what I mean when it comes to beans, lol...Anyway, the ones I had in my head, like the ones I used to buy in Nashville are long (7 to 8 inches), skinny (about as big around as a pencil eraser) and medium to dark green. They are the kind that you don't have to "string" (like I used to do at my great grandmother's house when I was a kid).

I would just get them at the farmer's market (by the handful), give them a good wash and throw them in the steamer. They were steamed whole, very tender and very delicious. I believe what I envision in my head, I've heard referred to as "haricot vert" in recipe books and the like.

Hope this helps explain it a little better. I'm just looking for a good variety of this type of bean if I can figure out what it actually is, lol. Thanks so much for your help.

durham64
durham64

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 12/30/2012, 7:54 pm

Holley,

Did you click on the link in my post above? It has exactly what you are looking for at Burpee.
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  durham64 12/30/2012, 9:54 pm

bnoles,

I did and found one called "Bean Beananzza" that I think is exactly what I want. I asked in an earlier post if anyone had tried these before, but nothing so far. Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction. I appreciate it greatly!
durham64
durham64

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 12/30/2012, 10:38 pm

Durham....Haricots verts ARE filet beans and they are becoming more popular so you can find them in some seed catalogs. They have them at johnnyseeds.com this year.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  durham64 12/30/2012, 11:05 pm

quiltbea,

I have been researching all this, since I asked the question, with everyone's input and suggestions. I now understand that Haricot Vert and Filet beans are the same thing. It was just a matter of verbiage, terminology and a lack of knowledge on my part.

I do greatly appreciate everyone's suggestions and input. Thanks for pointing me to johnnyseeds.com. I just received their catalog, also, so I will take a look there as well.

Thanks again!
durham64
durham64

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for bush type French green bean  Empty Re: Suggestions for bush French green beans

Post  GloriaG 12/31/2012, 11:26 am

durham64,

Here's a link to Territorial Seeds list of French Filet beans.

http://www.territorialseed.com/category/182 The one called "Denver" is a nice Haricot Vert bean.
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  durham64 12/31/2012, 5:00 pm

Thanks GoriaG, those look just about perfect! I will definitely give those a try!
durham64
durham64

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down