Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Dreaming of an almost free potting table?? Toplef10Dreaming of an almost free potting table?? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Dreaming of an almost free potting table?? I22gcj10Dreaming of an almost free potting table?? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Dreaming of an almost free potting table?? Toplef10Dreaming of an almost free potting table?? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Dreaming of an almost free potting table?? I22gcj10Dreaming of an almost free potting table?? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Dreaming of an almost free potting table??

+5
plantoid
GWN
Nonna.PapaVino
Roseinarosecity
llama momma
9 posters

Go down

Dreaming of an almost free potting table?? Empty Dreaming of an almost free potting table??

Post  llama momma 11/28/2012, 7:55 am

Check this Out -- I'm not handy with wood but I might try this out Very Happy

http://www.motherearthnews.com/do-it-yourself/potting-table-zm0z12onzhun.aspx
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Dreaming of an almost free potting table?? Empty Re: Dreaming of an almost free potting table??

Post  Roseinarosecity 11/28/2012, 1:09 pm

There weren't any instructions, so to help you along, check this link. It comes with 18 pictures.

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/yard/tools/make-your-own-potting-bench/#page=1

I like that they added hardware to hang your tools.
Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Dreaming of an almost free potting table?? Empty Re: Dreaming of an almost free potting table??

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 11/28/2012, 2:29 pm

A broken old-fashioned rake, the metal part, can be attached to the uprights on your potting table, tines pointing out and making hanging "hooks" for some of your small tools. A friend of mine rescued a rusty old rake by removing the broken handle, working it over with steel wool and Rustoleum; then painted it to coordinate with her red, white and blue potting bench.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 11/28/2012, 7:33 pm

A broken old-fashioned rake, the metal part, can be attached to the uprights on your potting table, tines pointing out and making hanging "hooks" for some of your small tools. A friend of mine rescued a rusty old rake by removing the broken handle, working it over with steel wool and Rustoleum; then painted it to coordinate with her red, white and blue potting bench.
Very cool idea....
I find amazing stuff at used building supply places or "REUSEIT" centres....as well
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/28/2012, 8:29 pm

Is that carrot out your gardens GWN ? If so how much did it weigh please ?
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 11/28/2012, 10:23 pm

Is that carrot out your gardens GWN ? If so how much did it weigh please ?
Whoops Embarassed I did not weigh it, I only measured itDreaming of an almost free potting table?? Dsc_0318 The problem is that I planted it April 15th when I was supposed to, but then got SOOOO busy with dealing with all of my tomatoes etc, I just forgot about the carrots and have only recently started to pull them and holy toledo.... they are huge.
But the best thing is that they are SOOO good. Our first frost was the beginning of October and I have left them in the MELS mix, and they are sooo yummy right out of the garden.
I find if I put them in the fridge even for a few days they really deteriorate.
So I leave them out there and traipse out there in my housecoat every morning to grab another carrot and make a smoothie with the frozen peaches (in my freezer) and the frozen carrots in my garden. I wish I had an emoticon of a lady in a housecoat with a carrot. Smile
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 11/28/2012, 10:38 pm

Congrats on the lovely carrot! Smoothies sound soooo good (my son makes them with fruit, yogurt and kale). Do you remember the variety of carrot you planted? If I don't ask you, Josh will, 'cause that's one honkin carrot! Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 11/28/2012, 10:54 pm

I think it was perhaps negligence that got this carrot so big, it has been in the ground for over 7 months.. HMMMM....I believe it was a Nantes Coreless...... neglected...
perhaps that is the key
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 11/29/2012, 4:22 pm

GWN wrote:I think it was perhaps negligence that got this carrot so big, it has been in the ground for over 7 months.. HMMMM....I believe it was a Nantes Coreless...... neglected...
perhaps that is the key
Please don't break your teeth on it.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 11/30/2012, 10:41 pm

[quote="GWN"]

So I leave them out there and traipse out there in my housecoat every morning to grab another carrot and make a smoothie with the frozen peaches (in my freezer) and the frozen carrots in my garden. I wish I had an emoticon of a lady in a housecoat with a carrot. Smile

So that your soil is not frozen solid as you try to get your carrots out (unless it is already), I was thinking you could put a thick layer of straw or leaves on your carrots. Then when you go out in your housecoat and snow boots in the middle of Winter you can just clear away some straw or leaves and loosen the soil some and pull out your gargantuan carrot for that morning. I had one year where I wanted my carrots to get a bit of cold to make them sweet and I left them in the ground too long and boy was it hard to get them out when the soil was frozen. I am vaguely remembering that some of them were ok come Spring but don't quote me on that.

This is a dumb question, but how did you freeze your peaches. Do you have to dip them in lemon juice to keep them from turning brown?
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 12/1/2012, 8:55 pm

That carrot is amazing, GWN. Shocked I have carrot envy! TLN...tender loving neglect as my mother calls it. Makes my perennials grow like crazy. Don't see why it shouldn't work with my veggies. *shrug* I'll try it next year.

I never even considered that the ground around my carrots would freeze and make it hard to get them out. Thanks for saying that, Tricia. I'll go out tomorrow and pile on the leaves. I also have beets out there. Guess I should cover them, too, right?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/1/2012, 9:13 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
I never even considered that the ground around my carrots would freeze and make it hard to get them out. Thanks for saying that, Tricia. I'll go out tomorrow and pile on the leaves. I also have beets out there. Guess I should cover them, too, right?

CC
I would pull 'em. I pulled mine a week or so ago.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Dreaming of an almost free potting table?? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 12/1/2012, 9:23 pm

The beets? Or both? Lemme know coz I was hoping to get the beets to grow bigger, but if they are just gonna die, they are coming out. I want those greens ALIVE!

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/1/2012, 11:17 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:The beets? Or both? Lemme know coz I was hoping to get the beets to grow bigger, but if they are just gonna die, they are coming out. I want those greens ALIVE!

CC
I dug up all the beets and carrots. Here they will freeze solid if left in the garden. When I dug mine out there was already 2 inches of frost to break through.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Dreaming of an almost free potting table?? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 12/1/2012, 11:33 pm

camprn, do you have any permafrost on north sides of hills there in New Hampshire? When you mentioned frost, I wondered. Only part of your state I'm familiar with is the eastern part near Atlantic when my folks lived there during construction of Seabrook nuclear plant. New Hampshire is definitely one of the more scenic parts of this here US, for sure. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/2/2012, 9:45 am

Hi Nonna, no permafrost, but the ground does freeze solid. For engineering purposes the frost line is 4 feet. A lot of folks go down 6'to 8' when putting in water lines. We do get considerably colder here (near the Vermont border) than the seasoast, though the coast is only 100 miles to the east.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 12/3/2012, 9:54 pm

Thanks for the info. I should understand why 100 miles makes such a difference: we have a bit of that here in Oregon with the Coast Range between us and the ocean. We rarely get truly ground-freezing weather; but I still put row covers out to protect my kale/chard bed. Now is the time to pour an eggnog and pour over the seed catalogues! Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down