Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Any Salt Lake City Utahans out there that garden in the winter? Toplef10Any Salt Lake City Utahans out there that garden in the winter? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Any Salt Lake City Utahans out there that garden in the winter? I22gcj10Any Salt Lake City Utahans out there that garden in the winter? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Any Salt Lake City Utahans out there that garden in the winter? Toplef10Any Salt Lake City Utahans out there that garden in the winter? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Any Salt Lake City Utahans out there that garden in the winter? I22gcj10Any Salt Lake City Utahans out there that garden in the winter? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Any Salt Lake City Utahans out there that garden in the winter?

+3
Triciasgarden
camprn
petunia52
7 posters

Go down

Any Salt Lake City Utahans out there that garden in the winter? Empty Any Salt Lake City Utahans out there that garden in the winter?

Post  petunia52 10/22/2012, 2:05 am

I just started a trial garden this summer and I do not want to quit for the winter. Building a cold frame up against the foundation on the south side of the house and need info on keeping it going through the entire winter. Any ideas?
petunia52
petunia52

Female Posts : 44

Back to top Go down

Any Salt Lake City Utahans out there that garden in the winter? Empty Re: Any Salt Lake City Utahans out there that garden in the winter?

Post  camprn 10/22/2012, 6:56 am

HI petunia, Welcome to the forum. For your location you can extend your season in spring and winter with a cold frame. If you would like to grow all winter, my guess you'll need a heated green house arrangement.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Any Salt Lake City Utahans out there that garden in the winter? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Any Salt Lake City Utahans out there that garden in the winter? Empty Re: Any Salt Lake City Utahans out there that garden in the winter?

Post  Triciasgarden 10/22/2012, 7:45 pm

Hi Petunia and welcome! I live in West Jordan but have never gardened in the Winter. I agree with camprn though that you would need a heat source. I have wanted a cold frame for years but haven't gotten around to it. I even have a shower door I could use for the cold frame. Maybe some day, lol!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  petunia52 10/24/2012, 7:04 pm

@ camprn, @triciasgarden, do you or anyone you know garden indoors in the winter? I know that sounds crazy but I have an empty basement room (with the lighted shelves I used to start my seedlings that is in front of a window) that I can keep cool and try some lettuces and other cool veggies that might work if you think that is possible. I really got the growing bug and am not ready to give it up. What do you think?
petunia52
petunia52

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 10/24/2012, 10:14 pm

Just putting in my $0.02. I don't know how well it will work, but I am going to try some indoor lettuces & herbs under my seed-starting lights (cheap fluor. under-cabinet lights). It's only seeds! Maybe we can compare our successes and failures through the long white winter!

GG in SD
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 10/24/2012, 10:41 pm

Petunia and Goosegirl I think both are great ideas! I should try that also! I had only thought of starting seeds indoors, but why not just grow some cool weather crops indoors as long as you are using MM. I read on this forum that someone used MM for their indoor plants and it dried out faster than potting soil. I'm sure that MM is better for good crops so it would be good to keep an eye on them and see how often you do need to water.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  petunia52 10/25/2012, 1:43 am

Alright, that's a go for me. I'll keep you posted. And thanks for the input.
petunia52
petunia52

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 10/25/2012, 2:04 am

keep us posted on how your winter gardening is going.....dont forget the pictures!

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 10/25/2012, 3:05 pm

Now I want to start a pot of lettuce in the window Very Happy! I still have lettuce, peas, and radishes in the plant inn on the deck!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 10/25/2012, 5:42 pm

Cheyenne, I know, huh!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  snibb 10/26/2012, 1:04 am

I had a winter garden one year just to see if I you could do it in a place like Northern Utah. It was really good-though in SLC you don't have a lot of things that you can grow. I used no heat source other than 6-mil plastic. By the time May 1st came around I was very burned out on gardening though. I am planning on growing a small box this winter. Nobody believed me and I didn't have any pictures to prove it so this year I will be taking pictures. I'm planning on putting those up on my website as the winter goes along. It's not even planted yet-except for brussel sprouts and 2 squares of lettuce. Maybe it will give you some ideas. I'm your neighbor across the freeway in Draper...Jim
snibb
snibb

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 108

http://thewealthyearth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  petunia52 10/26/2012, 1:35 am

Hello snibb, I am so happy to hear you were successful in having a winter garden. Now I am more determined than ever. My cold frame will be finished this weekend and I want to do some Kale, I understand that grows outside under a blanket of snow. Even I can handle that Wink But I was planning on putting some lettuces in a basement room under the lights I used for starting the seeds in the spring, not sure if I need to use the heat pad to warm up the soil, and I can keep the temp in there controlled. My shelves and lighting are in front of a west facing window for afternoon sun and I would use the lights earlier in the day. Any thoughts on the possibility or tips to improve my chances? I guess I am too new and excited to think about burn out but that doesn't mean it won't happen.
petunia52
petunia52

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down