Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Need help designing and building my SFG Toplef10Need help designing and building my SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Need help designing and building my SFG I22gcj10Need help designing and building my SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Need help designing and building my SFG Toplef10Need help designing and building my SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Need help designing and building my SFG I22gcj10Need help designing and building my SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 12:08 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 9:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 8:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 8:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 11:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 6:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 6:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 4:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/8/2024, 12:26 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 8:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 8:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 11:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 4:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 8:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/2/2024, 12:24 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 5:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 5:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 4:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 7:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 9:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 11:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 4:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 12:16 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 2:36 pm

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 9:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Need help designing and building my SFG

4 posters

Go down

Need help designing and building my SFG Empty Need help designing and building my SFG

Post  Robin Depaul 9/24/2012, 3:08 pm

Hi fellow SFGers, I have recently devoted myself to SFG. I literally have just stood in my So Cal urban backyard with string and rocks to rough out where my planters will go. Although I was going to purchase raised beds from Gardeners.com a young lady at church suggested I try out Newport Greenhouse in Tustin who probably could custom build them for me. I want them 34" tall, set on 2" pavers. (2) at 8 X 2 and (2) at 4 X 4 in a 300' plot. I was wondering is there any SFG memebers close to me who would like to help me with the design? study I am looking forward to meeting you. Thank you, Robin thanks
Robin Depaul
Robin Depaul

Female Posts : 11

Back to top Go down

Need help designing and building my SFG Empty Re: Need help designing and building my SFG

Post  No_Such_Reality 9/24/2012, 4:37 pm

Based on the height, it sounds like you're looking for a raised bed that will be like the raised beds the Orange County Zoo just put in at the Irvine Regional Park.

They look good and they did them with the plastic-fiber wood composite stuff. It may be worth your spending the $5 to park and $2 to get in the zoo to look at them.

As for layout, it depends on your lot and the location of neighbors and heights of walls, buildings and their heights. If your lot is 20x15 or there about or narrower, be really careful with the height of their buildings and walls, particularly come fall/winter gardening. A neighbors two story could shade 1/2 or more of the lot.

No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Need help designing and building my SFG Empty Re: Need help designing and building my SFG

Post  Robin Depaul 9/24/2012, 4:56 pm

Whoa, The Regional Park....thanks for the tip and wood composite stuff. I really have no interest in getting down on my knees or even stooping unecessarily.
The 1/3 of my backyard is the sunniest and my 50 years old Jacaranda is my only shade concern; even at winter's lowest the sun will shine in this 22' X 20' foot plot and the yard is surrounded by ranch style homes and a 6' block wall. Very peaceful. Thank you for your reply. I am off to the Park to see these planters Very Happy

Robin Depaul
Robin Depaul

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 9/24/2012, 5:35 pm

It's a very small area they had the planters in. It's on the side as after your go past the mountain lions and before you get to the peccaries and bears.
No_Such_Reality

Back to top Go down

Post  Robin Depaul 9/24/2012, 6:09 pm

OK, so it is in the zoo itself, interesting thank you!
Robin Depaul
Robin Depaul

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 9/25/2012, 1:32 am

Hi, fellow newbie!

I'm also about to embark on the SFG journey, but I'm a little bit farther along than you, it sounds, at least in that I have built the beds that will be filled (it's to be hoped) with yummy goodies come next Spring.

I did want to comment on choice of building materials, though. When I was researching options, I almost went with the plastic/composite wood faux lumber because I want the beds to last. BUT, when I read up on what they're typically made from, I thought YIKES! I don't even want to take the chance of any of that leaching into my soil/MM. Same goes for pressure treated wood.

So, I went with unpainted, unstained plain ole 2'x4'x8' Cedar lumber. I got a pallet full when they were on sale in late Fall last year & they sat on one corner of my lot under a tarp until I could get to building the beds this Spring. You can see what they look like in my post titled "Big plans for Spring 2013!"

I'm not criticizing anyone who uses the plastic stuff, I'm just explaining what my thought process & choices were in the hopes that it might help you out. Good luck! Smile
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  Robin Depaul 9/25/2012, 2:19 am

Hey mollyhespra, I agree. It always seems that plastic is the way to go but we all really know it isn't and pressured treated wood isn't for food source building material. I'll take a look at your post. I too am sticking with cedar, natures best. Thank you!
Robin Depaul
Robin Depaul

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 9/25/2012, 6:11 am

I am with you on the 32" raised beds. My ideal. Just remember that you do not have to fill the whole thing with Mel's Mix. The top six inches is plenty.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 9/25/2012, 5:09 pm

I'd use redwood or cedar myself. I think they look better and ironically, I think the redwood isn't really any more expensive.

I myself like to do deeper planters. It allows more for settling and allows you to not fill right to the top.

I'm assuming you want something like http://www.cleanairgardening.com/eden-planter.html

Or this.
http://www.cleanairgardening.com/largarcenced.html

Seems like you could encase the second and maybe put some doors on for out of sight storage.

It seems like you'd be able to hire one of the pennysaver handymen to build a few like that in a day or so.
No_Such_Reality

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down