Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Keeping bees - Page 9 Toplef10Keeping bees - Page 9 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Keeping bees - Page 9 I22gcj10Keeping bees - Page 9 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Keeping bees - Page 9 Toplef10Keeping bees - Page 9 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Keeping bees - Page 9 I22gcj10Keeping bees - Page 9 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Keeping bees

+43
countrynaturals
JohnKelly
Escaped Lunatic
Scorpio Rising
Elizabeth
Turan
mschaef
Marc Iverson
Cajunsmoke14
AtlantaMarie
kauairosina
recoush
rabbithutch
R&R 1011
brainchasm
Millenia
at2wooden
malefacter
boffer
martha
grownsunshine
Goosegirl
sanderson
LittleGardener
bnoles
CapeCoddess
yolos
Pink Pandora
HillbillyBob
Triciasgarden
Unmutual
NHGardener
Lavender Debs
landarch
walshevak
Kelejan
llama momma
plantoid
GWN
CindiLou
RoOsTeR
camprn
Pollinator
47 posters

Page 9 of 38 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 23 ... 38  Next

Go down

Keeping bees - Page 9 Empty Re: Keeping bees

Post  NHGardener 4/25/2013, 1:00 pm

I believe they mentioned at the last bee club meeting that if you want only nurse bees, and to get rid of the workers, you lay the frame outside of the hive, and the workers will take off and the nurse bees will stick with the frame. I guess if it's warm enough this does not chill them? I assume they only lay it there for a very short time. I wasn't considering making nucs at that time so I didn't listen real closely.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/25/2013, 1:07 pm

NHGardener wrote:I believe they mentioned at the last bee club meeting that if you want only nurse bees, and to get rid of the workers, you lay the frame outside of the hive, and the workers will take off and the nurse bees will stick with the frame. I guess if it's warm enough this does not chill them? I assume they only lay it there for a very short time. I wasn't considering making nucs at that time so I didn't listen real closely.

I just put them right in the box, no need to allow the brood to catch a chill, or run the risk of knocking over the frame.. the foragers will find their way out no problem.
Mike Palmer has had very good success with the side-by-side 4 frame nucs in a deep hive body. He adds individual supers above for them to place honey for the winter. It also allows him to manipulate one nuc at a time (he places a grain sack over the other nuc when he opens up the bottom box).

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Keeping bees - Page 9 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 4/25/2013, 1:37 pm

I never thought I'd get into nucs, but now I'm so excited about cloning colonies. Smile My colonies will take over the world - bwahahaha.

First I have to get a hive up and running tho. Sad

I'll have to check youtubes to see how he uses individual honey nucs on top of split nuc deeps.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 4/25/2013, 4:20 pm

So, what you gonna name your army, NCG? All rulers name their armies don't they?
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/25/2013, 5:19 pm

NHGardener wrote:I believe they mentioned at the last bee club meeting that if you want only nurse bees, and to get rid of the workers, you lay the frame outside of the hive, and the workers will take off and the nurse bees will stick with the frame. I guess if it's warm enough this does not chill them? I assume they only lay it there for a very short time. I wasn't considering making nucs at that time so I didn't listen real closely.

Having just nurse bees will leave the Neuc without defence bees and also no cleaners ,foragers for pollen or nectar or hive coolers and drones .

Several guys told me I could get away with just nurse bees ..nature told me otherwise , the nuc builds far quicker & better with them .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/25/2013, 5:36 pm

plantoid wrote:

Having just nurse bees will leave the Neuc without defence bees and also no cleaners ,foragers for pollen or nectar or hive coolers and drones .

Several guys told me I could get away with just nurse bees ..nature told me otherwise , the nuc builds far quicker & better with them .
All good points Plantiod!
There are plenty of food resources in the nuc with the frames of pollen and honey so not having foraging bees immediately isn't a worry. The nuc can be closed with a robbing screen to prevent robbing, if that becomes an issue.

When I say a frame of brood, ideally it should be a frame that includes capped brood and open brood and of course eggs if you want them to make a queen. You mention lack of drones, this another reason to keep the nuc in the main apiary. However there could well be drone brood on the brood frame.

The nurse bees that were brought over from the main colony will shortly become guards and foragers and the newly emerged bees will take up where their sisters left off. Ventilation is always an issue that should be kept in the forefront of the beekeepers mind.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesbasics.htm

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Keeping bees - Page 9 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 4/25/2013, 11:10 pm

So informative, thank you.

Almost like learning a computer game. Sims Bees. Wink
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/26/2013, 6:59 pm

Making queens .......the quick way so you can requeen your own hives just before end of taking off honey season ( allows the queen to mate and build the over wintering nest . You can also use it to grow your own queens for making up neuc's thus saving a long period of low numbers of bees . Simply calculate how many queen cells you want and snuff the rest then when they are sealed , transfer them to the New neuc and pin them in place around day nine as mentioned.

Find a frame with eggs along the bottom cells use a new bladed craft knife and slice some of the lower comb away so that you get an inch gap between the comb and the bottom bars of the frame.
When you cut the comb be really careful use a head band magnifying glass if needed so you cut through a cell and leave the eggs in place the bees will draw the queen cells here adnuse the eggs for their queens .

Tip
If your short of day light to look at the bees or to sort out a new swarm and you are wanting to get it over before they swarm etc use one of the head band double red LED lights and work at night . They remain quite calm most of the time when under Red led light .. I've often worked without gloves or face veil at 0200 hrs or so when times were busy .

Don't do what my mate did and flick it to three super white LED's as he got a face full of unamused bees for his stupidity .

Don't take the bee suit off in the dark you may have the odd bee on your arms or crotch area .
Instead go to a place where there is a big 500 watt flood light and get someone to stand a few feet from you and the light , then do a couple of turns round , use a soft hand brush to brush the nether regions & armpits or your back & head till you are free of any bees and then get out of the suit . The bees if any will fly to the bright light and not be brought into you dwelling. If it is warm enough & they didn't get toasted in the flood light they seem to go back to their hives in the morning
You can do the same with car head lights on full beam .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/29/2013, 5:59 pm

Winter colony loss survey.... due tomorrow.
http://10.selectsurvey.net/beeinformed/TakeSurvey.aspx?SurveyID=BIP201

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/29/2013, 6:13 pm

camprn wrote:Winter colony loss survey.... due tomorrow.

Is that survey USA or world wide ..I couldn't see anything past the home page for it is access denied .
I will try again to see if using the code at the end is helpful .
What the survey will tell is roughly how many hives died out ,what it will not tell you is the underlying causes and effects that made things so .

It will not process me .. Ah well to bee or not to bee Wink
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/29/2013, 6:32 pm

plantoid wrote:
camprn wrote:Winter colony loss survey.... due tomorrow.

Is that survey USA or world wide ..I couldn't see anything past the home page for it is access denied .
I will try again to see if using the code at the end is helpful .
What the survey will tell is roughly how many hives died out ,what it will not tell you is the underlying causes and effects that made things so .

It will not process me .. Ah well to bee or not to bee Wink

What ever you believe the survey results are, or are not, there will hopefully be some valuable information....

Try this link David. The US only. http://beeinformed.org/share-the-bee-informed-partnership-survey/

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/29/2013, 7:07 pm

Thanks Camp ,
I've had a quick peek and stored the site in favourites ..i'm off to bed as its 00.10 hrs & I'm up early for a hospital run.

TTFN
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Keeping bees - Page 9 Empty Bees IN!!

Post  CindiLou 4/29/2013, 7:35 pm

Went camping so wasn't at the computer this weekend. Bees got to the drop off about 8 am.

2 3# packages...They were a LOT quieter than I thought they would be!
I put them in a tote with a towel over them for the ride home.

Keeping bees - Page 9 Sam_0110
Hubby was SUPPOSED to take pictures while I was putting them in but he didn't Sad
First hive..awesome...second hive, I forgot to spray with syrup Sad They were NOT in a good mood!
Got stung once on the thigh. I forgot to put long socks on to block my pant leg. rofl Lesson learned!

All in their new hives...one batch did NOT want out of the cage...
Didn't help matters hubby was making me more nervous than the bees! He was really fussing. Then when I was off getting something he picked up and proceeded to drop the cage that had the stubborn ones in it. Then they were really pissed! And the second hive was NOT in a good mood the rest of the day!
Keeping bees - Page 9 Sam_0111

The queens were alive and active..

But all was well by night time.

Keeping bees - Page 9 Sam_0112

CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Keeping bees - Page 9 Empty Finishing up

Post  CindiLou 4/29/2013, 7:50 pm

The next day (yesterday) I went back FULLY ARMORED and got the queens cages and put in the frame. Changed the reducer to the right side, fed more syrup, and took out the board from the screened bottom. I figured it was too hot for it. Highs were in the 70s and today was 80s.
I look like I know what I am doing lol..smoke baby smoke!
Keeping bees - Page 9 Dsc_9110

yup queen is out...
Keeping bees - Page 9 Dsc_9111

Added the 10th frame and pushed my frames together...gently..grrr..silly girls did NOT want to move...very slow processes when your think your gonna get stung!
Keeping bees - Page 9 Dsc_9112

Working on the second hive. I dropped the queen cage TWICE and had to reach in rofl..
Keeping bees - Page 9 Dsc_9113

But it went a lot smoother than the first day! Now I don't have to mess with them for a week I believe it is...will have to check that lol..

NO STINGS! OH YEA!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Keeping bees - Page 9 Empty Bees today

Post  CindiLou 4/29/2013, 8:04 pm

My cat, Wicca, met a bee...it did not end peacefully! BEES 1, Wicca 0 rofl
Keeping bees - Page 9 Wicca_10

Youngest daughter rescued a bee from the ground....well..that is what she thought..poor bee..wouldn't fly..The oldest daughter HATES stinging things lol..

Keeping bees - Page 9 Dsc_7610

Pollen incoming! OH YEA!
Keeping bees - Page 9 Pollen10

CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/29/2013, 8:09 pm

Looking good Cindil.

How are you feeding them?

LOL, dropped the cage twice... it takes some time to really get comfortable holding things, but you must grip everything, because you really, really, really don't want to drop anything else. Wink

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 4/29/2013, 8:57 pm

Yay Cindi - You know you aren't allergic to stings! I haven't been stung, and one of the main reasons I am very careful to avoid it is because i don't know if I'm allergic. One of these days I'll find out.

Sometimes it's just best to attempt these things on your own, without helpful others. Smile

Looks like you were successful and did a great job! And those photos are excellent!
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 4/29/2013, 9:36 pm

Thanks guys!

Feeding them with top feeder. Syrup is 1:1...

Chaos and Confusion are the hive names. Confusion hive is really weird! It has a big group that is hanging out in the space in the bottom! With the screen between them and the hive. Told them they are gonna get hungry and cold! Silly girls.. rofl
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/29/2013, 9:46 pm

CindiLou wrote:Thanks guys!

Feeding them with top feeder. Syrup is 1:1...

Chaos and Confusion are the hive names. Confusion hive is really weird! It has a big group that is hanging out in the space in the bottom! With the screen between them and the hive. Told them they are gonna get hungry and cold! Silly girls.. rofl
Did the queen cage fall to the bottom of the hive onto the screened bottom board?

you are lucky. Our packages have been delayed another week, not arriving until May 4, or sometime near that date.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 4/29/2013, 10:09 pm

camprn, my package has been delayed until May 18. I'm looking around at the dandelions thinking - what a waste.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/29/2013, 10:13 pm

NHGardener wrote:camprn, my package has been delayed until May 18. I'm looking around at the dandelions thinking - what a waste.
The good news for your hives is that they don't have to draw comb straight away. thats GREAT!

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 4/29/2013, 10:51 pm

Yup, well..not really..if fell onto the bunch of bees lol..was NOT funny...I was really nervous when I was reaching in cause that was the fussy hive. But they didn't attack rofl..My dandelions are just starting, tulips blooming, tulips trees going strong and redbuds are getting ready so mine came at a great time!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 4/29/2013, 10:53 pm

Wow, NHG! Three more weeks? That would be frustrating to see all the blooms being!
I am glad mine were delayed a week. We had cold weather last week. And the blooms are just starting good. Missed the daffodils though!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 4/29/2013, 11:02 pm

camprn wrote:The good news for your hives is that they don't have to draw comb straight away. thats GREAT!
Very Happy True.

Cindi, unless I'm wrong bees don't get anything from daffodils anyway.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 4/29/2013, 11:06 pm

Humm, I have no idea! I am still studying to see what they do collect.
I suspect the pollen that is in my picture may be from a tulip tree that is only a couple of houses down. Not a lot of different flowers blooming around here yet.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 38 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 23 ... 38  Next