Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Strange year Toplef10Strange year 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Strange year I22gcj10Strange year 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Strange year Toplef10Strange year 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Strange year I22gcj10Strange year 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Strange year

2 posters

Go down

Strange year Empty Strange year

Post  greatgranny 7/16/2012, 9:12 pm

One would think that if one vine crop is doing awesome that they all would. Well, my squash is very healthy and blooming and making babies. The melons are another story. The plants are less lush and the fruits are sparse. All are on trellis - not the same one. Same amount of water, etc.

Then we get to the corn and I must say I could have been further ahead to plant something else in those squares. I think for next year I will devote an entire box to corn and only plant 2 per square instead of 4. I spoke with an organic farmer yesterday and he suggested that anytime there is a corn plant in a square that is spindly and the rest are normal - yank that one out - consider it a weed. I think he has a point.

Oh well, we live and learn and this year is an exception to the rule for many of us.

greatgranny
greatgranny

Female Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

Strange year Empty Re: Strange year

Post  plantoid 7/17/2012, 5:19 am

It most certainly is a weird year weatherwise GG .
I wonder if it is all to do with the sunspot activity and the gravitational changed due to the planets coming into a rough line on my birthday 21 Dec when the Mayans calender stoped being written down ( or did they run out of ink and paper Laughing ).
If it is any of these we may be infor several years of strange weather and difficult crop growing. it is as though we are nerly two and a half month behind in the calender.

It is unheard of to have glasshouse tomatoes barely formed this time of the year in the UK. I only have five that are little bigger than a pea .Though there are twenty odd flowers on my olants that have been there for over two weeks that have not set yet , despite me trying to assist pollenating them every other day .

The strawberries in the barrel in the garden have been producing strawbs for over two months now and only one has even bothered to partially colour up enough to say it's nearly ripe, the rest are solid lumps of bright greenish yellow.

We could be in for a humdinger of a winter as well if the ice reports from the USA are anything to go by for they seem to indicate much colder artic conditions and more ice formation much earlier than usual for this time of the year.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 7/17/2012, 10:50 am

plantoid wrote:It most certainly is a weird year weatherwise GG .
I wonder if it is all to do with the sunspot activity and the gravitational changed due to the planets coming into a rough line on my birthday 21 Dec when the Mayans calender stoped being written down ( or did they run out of ink and paper Laughing ).
If it is any of these we may be infor several years of strange weather and difficult crop growing. it is as though we are nerly two and a half month behind in the calender.

It is unheard of to have glasshouse tomatoes barely formed this time of the year in the UK. I only have five that are little bigger than a pea .Though there are twenty odd flowers on my olants that have been there for over two weeks that have not set yet , despite me trying to assist pollenating them every other day .

The strawberries in the barrel in the garden have been producing strawbs for over two months now and only one has even bothered to partially colour up enough to say it's nearly ripe, the rest are solid lumps of bright greenish yellow.

We could be in for a humdinger of a winter as well if the ice reports from the USA are anything to go by for they seem to indicate much colder artic conditions and more ice formation much earlier than usual for this time of the year.

I believe that none of us is in control of the weather or growing things - I'm a control freak so that is hard for me to admit sometimes. The good Lord is the one who makes the sun to shine and rain to fall... This year He is blessing me with lots of broccoli and green beans for my freezer. I will remember the summer of 2012 when I eat it this winter. I figure any food we get is a blessing. Learning how to use the leftover parts of plants, yard refuse, etc. and putting it back into the soil is a picture of what all of nature is doing without our awareness. That is a miracle.

I so appreciate what Mel's Foundation is doing for those who live in areas where they are either oppressed or have no way to farm other than with primitive tools.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Female Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum