Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Shading seedlings questions--help requested Toplef10Shading seedlings questions--help requested 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Shading seedlings questions--help requested I22gcj10Shading seedlings questions--help requested 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Shading seedlings questions--help requested Toplef10Shading seedlings questions--help requested 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Shading seedlings questions--help requested I22gcj10Shading seedlings questions--help requested 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Shading seedlings questions--help requested

+8
camprn
walshevak
llama momma
RoOsTeR
squaredeal
CarolynPhillips
nelstango
cpl100
12 posters

Go down

Shading seedlings questions--help requested Empty Shading seedlings questions--help requested

Post  cpl100 7/16/2012, 5:14 pm

I came back from my weekend away to find that a few things have finally sprouted (cucumber, lettuce, green bean, chard, cauliflower)

I read all over the board here about people shading their seedlings. Some mention tulle and others mention cheesecloth. I recall one poster stating clipped cheesecloth to hoops made out of wire coat hangers.

I am fairly certain there is no place other than a fabric store to obtain tulle. (Please correct if erroneous.) However, where do you all get cheesecloth? If you buy it at a cooking store it is pretty expensive so I was wondering if there's some secret gardener's source to ease up on the price.

Also, do ALL seedlings need to be shaded (or do best when shaded)? And do you only shade them once they have pushed through the soil? The reason I ask is that the easiest thing to do would be to get tulle and put it over the cage I made to keep animals from the box (like in the book). But not everything has sprouted yet so that wouldn't work if I had to wait for everything to sprout first.

Thanks!
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Shading seedlings questions--help requested Empty Re: Shading seedlings questions--help requested

Post  nelstango 7/16/2012, 5:52 pm

I found cheesecloth at Menards in the painting section. By the dropcloths.
nelstango
nelstango

Back to top Go down

Shading seedlings questions--help requested Empty Re: Shading seedlings questions--help requested

Post  CarolynPhillips 7/16/2012, 6:21 pm

you only have to shade during extreme heat to help keep the surface soil moist and sometimes shade is good for cool crops if you will be growing them for a short while during summer heat until the weather cools off.
some gardeners use thin sheets while germinating.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  squaredeal 7/16/2012, 6:26 pm

I'm pretty sure you can get cheesecloth and burlap by the yard at the fabric store (JoAnn's) too, in the utility cloth section.
squaredeal
squaredeal

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 7/16/2012, 6:42 pm

I've seen tulle at our local Super Wal-Mart.

Shading seedlings questions--help requested Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/16/2012, 7:53 pm

Oh, we have a Walmart (it's not a 'super') but I'll check there before JoAnn's since it's probably cheaper there.
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/16/2012, 7:57 pm

I got a roll of burlap at a nursery, I love the stuff. Tulle is so fine I wouldn't bother with it in my humble opinion. It's great for keeping moths from laying eggs though. I'm going to estimate it decreases full sunlight by about 10% at best. Burlap I estimate gives about 35% shade. My plants are doing real well with it, again, I love the stuff.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/16/2012, 8:09 pm

I agree, tulle for bugs but burlap or cheesecloth for shade.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/17/2012, 10:17 am

CarolynPhillips wrote:you only have to shade during extreme heat to help keep the surface soil moist and sometimes shade is good for cool crops if you will be growing them for a short while during summer heat until the weather cools off.
some gardeners use thin sheets while germinating.

lettuce, beans, chard, broccoli, cauliflower, beets 80 - 90*, well watered.

What do you suggest, shade them or not?
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/17/2012, 10:21 am

I don't think you need to shade the plant, but they may benefit from an inch of mulch atop the soil. The beans and chard probably do not any protection mulch.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Shading seedlings questions--help requested WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/17/2012, 10:27 am

camprn wrote:I don't think you need to shade the plant, but they may benefit from an inch of mulch atop the soil. The beans and chard probably do not any protection mulch.

Somehow I am thinking this is more complicated than adding the brown mulch I have around my flowers. You mean something else, right? Because that stuff is kind of rough and big....
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/17/2012, 10:51 am

cpl100 wrote:
camprn wrote:I don't think you need to shade the plant, but they may benefit from an inch of mulch atop the soil. The beans and chard probably do not any protection mulch.

Somehow I am thinking this is more complicated than adding the brown mulch I have around my flowers. You mean something else, right? Because that stuff is kind of rough and big....
If you have some you can use the shredded bark mulch, it just sits atop the soil and is pretty easy to remove when you need to. The little bits that stay in the garden are alright; I would not recommend turning the shredded bark much into the garden soil/Mel's Mix at the end of the season. Very Happy

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Shading seedlings questions--help requested WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/17/2012, 11:44 am

I used three different types of mulch around my plants this year - shredded wheat straw, shredded leaves, and shredded bark. By far the best mulch is the shredded bark. It looks pretty sitting on top of the soil, it allows water to penetrate easily into the soil, it keeps the water in the soil from evaporating, and is free of weed seeds. The shredded straw introduced some wheat seeds into the bed, does not allow the water to penetrate easily through the straw into the soil, and turns an ugly brownish/gray color after it sits awhile. The shredded leaves kept the weeds out of the bed but absorbed a lot of water and kept the water from penetrating easily down into the soil.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  CharlesB 7/17/2012, 12:00 pm

How much do you have to cover?

You can always break off a branch from a nearby leafy bush and stick it in the soil. It is like a mini tree giving shade to the seedling.

You can also use meat skewers and pieces of cardboard. Fix them to give shade during the hottest parts of the day. Morning and evening sun won't hurt them.

I got my cheese cloth at a fabric store.
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/17/2012, 12:24 pm

Great ideas Charles!!! okay

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 7/17/2012, 12:30 pm

This time of the season, in zone 5a, I shade my cool-weather crops with cheesecloth. I want the sunshine to penetrate, but not too much of it. Things like lettuce, spinach, radishes, broccoli, cauli, and cabbages usually benefit. Alas, we had too many 90 plus days much too early this spring and my broccoli, except for a couple Packmans, bolted along with the cauliflowers. Cabbage and other greens are still doing well under cheesecloth but not for much longer, I think. Next year I'll start my cool crops sooner and protect them with heavy row cover if needed.

Shading seedlings questions--help requested 07-09-20
Cabbages under cheesecloth above. If you have trouble with flea beetles, cover your cabbages with lightweight row cover instead.

I get tulle, netting for isolation bags, and cheesecloth by the yard at Jo-Ann's or Wal-mart. Try any fabric outlet. My lightweight and heavy row covers I get from johnnyseeds.com.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/17/2012, 12:43 pm

I have 2 boxes of leafies and such under burlap clipped with clothes pins to bamboo arches. I take it off in the evening or morning to water and allow full sun in, then cover them up completely mid morning before going to work. I also have some squares of newly planted seeds of carrots, radishes & beets under the burlap (upper left of photo). They all seem to be doing well.

Shading seedlings questions--help requested July_110

Shading seedlings questions--help requested July_111

All my summer veggies are out in fill sun, with some older lettuces, beets, carrots & radishes.

CC

CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/17/2012, 1:59 pm

Thanks for those posts. I see quiltbea is 5a and CapeCoddess is 6a as am I, though I am not as close to the ocean as she is.

I am going to make a couple phone calls to find the shading material. I am not certain as to when to put it up, though. I thought it was for when the seeds are sprouting and tender but I see CC plants are considerably bigger (YUM!) than that. So do I put them up later? Or do I put it up now and leave it up?

Also, my garden gets mostly afternoon sun...not as much in the morning due to location (but it is in the spot with the most sun available). Will my garden still get enough sun with the cover? Is one cover better than another in this situation? What about the other plants that are also planted in my (one) box such as carrots, beans and beets? The easiest would be to lob a cover on them all but I am learning that the easy way is never the way it seems to be best...... Rolling Eyes

Can you believe I have four gardening books (in addition to ANSFG) to consult here and still find myself in such a quandry daily???

Last edited by cpl100 on 7/17/2012, 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/17/2012, 2:14 pm

CharlesB wrote:How much do you have to cover?

You can always break off a branch from a nearby leafy bush and stick it in the soil. It is like a mini tree giving shade to the seedling.

You can also use meat skewers and pieces of cardboard. Fix them to give shade during the hottest parts of the day. Morning and evening sun won't hurt them.

I got my cheese cloth at a fabric store.

I own one 4 x 4 box and some pots. My plants don't get a lot of sun until the sun is high in the sky due to location. I am sure that makes a difference, but exactly what difference it makes I am uncertain.

Today, although very hot (98 according to my phone), it was all cloud cover until about an hour ago. The sun has finally peeped out to grow my tomatoes. (I believe it is the sun, not the warmth, that actually grows and ripens them if I have digested the information correctly.)
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/17/2012, 2:21 pm

I have burlap shading seedlings and protecting adult plants. It is placed so plants have shade from noon till sundown when it's in the mid 90's like today and yesterday. I have critter covers and clothes pins to keep things in place.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 7/17/2012, 2:21 pm

Afternoon sun is stronger than morning sun. As long as they get 6 hrs or more of sunlight, they should do well.

Once they're covered, I keep mine up all the time since its cheesecloth. If it gets really hot, I just put 2 layers of cheesecloth over the crops. And they stay on during all their growth during the heat of summer. All plants need sunshine, but some don't want too much heat.

I don't cover the squares when they are first seeded. The seeds need the heat to germinate. Seeds require more heat to germinate than is needed for later growth. I cover them when they gain some good size and NEED the protection from too much sun.

After you've been doing this awhile, you'll know when your cool crops need shading against the heat or new transplants need protection from too much sunlight their first few days after transplanting. Your heat-loving crops will just soak it all up. Tomatoes like heat but too many days in the 90s will slow down and even halt their blossoming until it cools off a little. Among those you normally don't have to shade are corn, beans, Swiss chard, turnip, beets, parsnips, squashes, melons, onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers and eggplant.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/17/2012, 2:34 pm

quiltbea wrote:

After you've been doing this awhile, you'll know when your cool crops need shading against the heat or new transplants need protection from too much sunlight their first few days after transplanting.

From your lips to God's ears as the saying goes.... I hope this innate knowledge will occur next year rather than in ten years, though!

Thanks you all!
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down