Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Finally built my first 4' x 4' bed and filled it. Toplef10Finally built my first 4' x 4' bed and filled it. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Finally built my first 4' x 4' bed and filled it. I22gcj10Finally built my first 4' x 4' bed and filled it. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Finally built my first 4' x 4' bed and filled it. Toplef10Finally built my first 4' x 4' bed and filled it. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Finally built my first 4' x 4' bed and filled it. I22gcj10Finally built my first 4' x 4' bed and filled it. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Finally built my first 4' x 4' bed and filled it.

2 posters

Go down

Finally built my first 4' x 4' bed and filled it. Empty Finally built my first 4' x 4' bed and filled it.

Post  cpl100 Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:31 pm

I am so excited. It was such a chore to build the bed, find the stuff to mix and mix it! OMG, I thought it would kill us to do all that mixing since I decided to do a taller bed so that I could plant a lot of carrots. Then I decided we needed to have a cage for the top...more work and more tools to buy! We are not handy nor do we have tools....I learned one could not do this project with just a hammer and a screwdriver!

SO! Now it is time to plant. I have read the book, re-consulted the book, read these forums, borrowed three more growing books from the library and consulted them. I am so confused as to what I can plant now in my sixteen squares.

My interests are: beets, broccoli, carrots, chard, spinach, lettuce, bush cucumber, beans (bush type--not up to building that trellis yet!), dill, scallion, garlic. I have bought seeds, some of the products I got two different variety of seed. Can I plant all of those types of seeds now? I want to do peas later for fall (hopefully by then I will have the energy to build the trellis). I do have two tomato plants and two pepper plants in pots that I planted earlier this year. Both have just started to bear fruit and both seem to have some kind of growing issue so I don't know what is going to happen with those.

Advise please? Need lots and lots of help! Sometimes I think doing too much research is more confusing than enlightening and there really is no substitute for experience and the people who bless you with their own experience.

In zone 6a MA

Thank you, a hundred thank yous!
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Finally built my first 4' x 4' bed and filled it. Empty Re: Finally built my first 4' x 4' bed and filled it.

Post  camprn Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:40 pm

cpl100 wrote:I am so excited. It was such a chore to build the bed, find the stuff to mix and mix it! OMG, I thought it would kill us to do all that mixing since I decided to do a taller bed so that I could plant a lot of carrots. Then I decided we needed to have a cage for the top...more work and more tools to buy! We are not handy nor do we have tools....I learned one could not do this project with just a hammer and a screwdriver!

SO! Now it is time to plant. I have read the book, re-consulted the book, read these forums, borrowed three more growing books from the library and consulted them. I am so confused as to what I can plant now in my sixteen squares.

My interests are: beets, broccoli, carrots, chard, spinach, lettuce, bush cucumber, beans (bush type--not up to building that trellis yet!), dill, scallion, garlic. I have bought seeds, some of the products I got two different variety of seed. Can I plant all of those types of seeds now? I want to do peas later for fall (hopefully by then I will have the energy to build the trellis). I do have two tomato plants and two pepper plants in pots that I planted earlier this year. Both have just started to bear fruit and both seem to have some kind of growing issue so I don't know what is going to happen with those.

Advise please? Need lots and lots of help! Sometimes I think doing too much research is more confusing than enlightening and there really is no substitute for experience and the people who bless you with their own experience.

In zone 6a MA

Thank you, a hundred thank yous!
Hey, I may have asked this already but where are you located in Mass? Of all those things mentioned, you can put in everything but the garlic, but you should do it in the next few days. There is only about 8-9, maybe an at the outside 10 weeks of growing season left.

The garlic will go in in November.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Finally built my first 4' x 4' bed and filled it. WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Finally built my first 4' x 4' bed and filled it. Empty Re: Finally built my first 4' x 4' bed and filled it.

Post  cpl100 Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:49 pm

Thanks for your help. I sent you a PM with my city information.

So, I can just go outside and plant all my squares, right? Would you mind advising which crop I should put where I want the peas later? I know they will need to be finished so I can plant the peas.

Would I be able to re-plant any of the mentioned crops after they are harvested once? Thinking maybe the lettuce and spinach from what I have read but I could be totally wrong!

Is there a preferred crop (from those I mentioned) to plant prior to the garlic planting later? Not sure which thing I should put where.

Thanks, again!
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:23 pm

cpl100 wrote:Thanks for your help. I sent you a PM with my city information.

So, I can just go outside and plant all my squares, right? Would you mind advising which crop I should put where I want the peas later? I know they will need to be finished so I can plant the peas.

Would I be able to re-plant any of the mentioned crops after they are harvested once? Thinking maybe the lettuce and spinach from what I have read but I could be totally wrong!

Is there a preferred crop (from those I mentioned) to plant prior to the garlic planting later? Not sure which thing I should put where.

Thanks, again!
I am planting peas in the next few days. You may want to plant them sometime next week, or maybe the week after that.

There are a lot of previous threads about placement and spacing. There is also info in the SFG book.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Finally built my first 4' x 4' bed and filled it. WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:36 pm

Oh. Thank you. I must be confused again. For some reason, I thought peas were for the cooler weather of Fall and were not to be planted in the heat.
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:08 pm

cpl100 wrote:Oh. Thank you. I must be confused again. For some reason, I thought peas were for the cooler weather of Fall and were not to be planted in the heat.
They are, but they take at least 8 weeks to get to a point of producing pods, so I have to plant now. My anticipated first frost date is about September 20th. I have to plant now.
Sugar Ann Snap Pea<~~~click
Folia says 35 days before frost, but I don't trust that.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum