Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What to plant in JULY - SO Cal - Page 2 Toplef10What to plant in JULY - SO Cal - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What to plant in JULY - SO Cal - Page 2 I22gcj10What to plant in JULY - SO Cal - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What to plant in JULY - SO Cal - Page 2 Toplef10What to plant in JULY - SO Cal - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What to plant in JULY - SO Cal - Page 2 I22gcj10What to plant in JULY - SO Cal - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What to plant in JULY - SO Cal

+6
AvaDGardner
camprn
tabletopper
lonewolfrissy
No_Such_Reality
Chopper
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What to plant in JULY - SO Cal - Page 2 Empty Re: What to plant in JULY - SO Cal

Post  Mellen 7/3/2016, 6:41 pm

Well...now I don't feel so bad.  I have a ton of flowers on my long bean, but no beans!  I really wanted at least a couple so I could get more seeds.  The seeds I started with are from some I saved from my (deceased 2 years this month) sister-in-law's plant two years ago.  I forgot about them; found them in the bottom of a "toss it in there" dish on my kitchen window sill.  I soaked them overnight, planted them & THEY GREW!  

I don't know if the flowers aren't producing due to the age of the seeds, the abuse, the heat, or what.  Again....lots of flowers; no beans.  

I'm going to keep tending them until there is nothing left!  I really wanted those yard long beans to remember my s-i-l by (not that I really need anything...but you understand)  Smile
Mellen
Mellen

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

What to plant in JULY - SO Cal - Page 2 Empty Re: What to plant in JULY - SO Cal

Post  No_Such_Reality 7/3/2016, 10:07 pm

Sorry to hear that.  Hopefully, if the weather mellows a bit and you keep taking care of them, they produce some nice beans for you yet.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/4/2016, 10:54 am

I'm having trouble with long beans, too. Less than 50% sprout, then less than another 50% grow more than a few inches. I've replanted 3 times and still only harvested 5 beans altogether. Evil or Very Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/5/2016, 12:44 am

Mellen, Yep, we understand why you want some seeds to keep the beans going in memory.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 7/6/2016, 12:12 am

Suz, When you say sprout, did you pre-germinate them - or are you counting those that showed green at the soil surface after planting dry seeds?  I humidified my long bean seeds for 2-3 days before planting. (They didn't look much different on day 1.) I didn't soak them, soaking is too much, too fast. I wrapped them in a wet paper towel, with no freestanding water in the loosely lidded container (added a little more water if it started to get dry) and only planted the ones that hatched. The squares look full, so I got at least 50%, and probably more than 80% plants vs seeds planted. 

I did this with regular beans, too - but some of those I ended up needing to redo with a pre-rinse in hydrogen peroxide first due to mold issues. And some of the beans just turned to mush instead of hydrating, notably in the same variety of pole bean that I replanted direct three or four times last year... Not planting those helps get closer to fuller squares on round one of sowing.

At this point my asparagus beans are just 3-4wks old, and definitely developmentally behind some of the other pole beans I planted at the same time. I didn't measure, but I think they're under 6" tall. Some of the adjacent beans might be close to 18" since they've started sending out that first winding whip of growth. I know we're not growing under the same conditions, but I think long-beans do, overall, grow slower than bean-beans (at least initially... this is my first year growing them, so we'll see what they do over time.)

(I also used inoculum that said it would be compatible with cowpeas -- same species as long beans --because it was inexpensive at a local pet store -- but I've read it shouldn't make a big difference, especially if growing in something with compost like MM.)
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/6/2016, 12:50 pm

Wow, Beetles, thanks for the detailed info. thanks I soaked them overnight, then planted them all. Obviously that wasn't the right thing to do.  pale I'm out of asparagus bean seeds now, but I planted "long bean" seeds (black seeds -- asparagus bean seeds were brown). Anyway, they all sprouted in just a few days. I'm going to plant them in the sfg today. Maybe asparagus beans are just fussier than regular long beans. We'll see how this batch does. geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2