Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
July: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas Toplef10July: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

July: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas I22gcj10July: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
July: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas Toplef10July: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

July: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas I22gcj10July: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

July: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas

+4
hcolette
ramarks
RoOsTeR
PNG_Grandma
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

July: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas Empty July: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas

Post  PNG_Grandma 7/6/2012, 11:41 am

Wow, already July! Here we go with a few things to plant this month in our area, not too many, but everything else is growing well!

You might want to try these:

Brussels sprouts Grow in seed trays, plant out in 4-6 weeks. Harvest from December.

Pak Choy Sow in garden.
Harvest from October.

Sunflower Sow in garden.
Harvest from November.

Zucchini (also Courgette/Marrow, Summer squash)
Grow in seed trays, and plant out in 4-6 weeks.
Harvest from October.

There ya go, planting for Fall! Yay!
happy hi
PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Female Posts : 297
Location : Modesto CA, Central Valley, USDA Zone 9b, Sunset 14, AHS Heat Zone 8, whew!

Back to top Go down

July: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas Empty Re: July: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas

Post  RoOsTeR 7/6/2012, 11:56 am

As always, great to hear from you Grandma!
Thanks for providing fall planting ideas for your region July: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas 3170584802

July: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

July: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas Empty Re: July: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas

Post  PNG_Grandma 7/6/2012, 12:02 pm

I figured I'd better get this out for all of us before we got too much further into July! Laughing

We have a few new people in our Apollo Garden and they were asking just yesterday about what could be planted "this late in the season" ... and I promised to post some things. Now if I could just keep up with the Tomato Tuesday pics!! Rolling Eyes
PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Location : Modesto CA, Central Valley, USDA Zone 9b, Sunset 14, AHS Heat Zone 8, whew!

Back to top Go down

Post  ramarks 7/6/2012, 1:50 pm

I was wondering what to plant for fall. Thanks for this post.

Quick question - how much sun for the Brussels Sprouts - I have a part shade spot that I was thinking of.
ramarks
ramarks

Back to top Go down

July: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas Empty Container gardening In Santa Cruz

Post  hcolette 7/17/2012, 12:48 pm

Hello,
I'm brand new to this site and still trying to navigate my way around. I have my garden in half wine barrels on my back deck. They get lots of sun and it can get quite warm back there. Was wondering what I can plant now. Any mid summer lettuce?

Thanks
hcolette
hcolette

Back to top Go down

Post  PNG_Grandma 7/17/2012, 1:29 pm

When I post information about what to plant in Northern CA, etc, I've been basing my information on what I receive from a site called Gardenate. I receive monthly updates and pass on the information here. Recently they sent a message that they had updated their information regarding climate zones to match those of the USDA hardiness zones. Soooo, what this means is that my generalized information about what to plant here in Northern CA isn't as precise as it could be! Embarassed
I'll try to cover a few areas in future posts, but it you'd like to find your own local hardiness zone click here, enter your zip code, and check out the map to find your precise zone.
The good thing is that for most of us here in CA, we can plant just about anything, and in almost any location. July: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas 3170584802

hcolette, you asked about mid summer lettuce in your Santa Cruz area. According to the folks at Gardenate, yep, in August you can plant lettuce and harvest in November. Your temps won't reach the triple digit highs we have here in the Central Valley so you shouldn't have any problems, but I'd watch them closely if the temps start going up. Here in our area we can shade the little guys and keep them watered...seems to work OK.

ramarks, as for your Brussels Sprouts...I just don't know if they will work well in the shade for your area, sorry :scratch:
I'd suggest you check with a local nursery, or the garden dept in any of the larger home improvement stores. Often there's someone who has great knowledge just waiting to share!
Hope some of this helps!
happy hi

PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/30/2014, 3:19 am

Bump
PNG_Grandma wrote:Wow, already July! Here we go with a few things to plant this month in our area, not too many, but everything else is growing well!

Brussels sprouts Grow in seed trays, plant out in 4-6 weeks.   Harvest from December.

Pak Choy Sow in garden.  
Harvest from October.

Sunflower Sow in garden.  
Harvest from November.

Zucchini (also Courgette/Marrow, Summer squash)
Grow in seed trays, and plant out in 4-6 weeks.  
Harvest from October.

There ya go, planting for Fall! Yay!
happy hi
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/1/2015, 3:49 am

This is for Zone 9A

PNG_Grandma wrote:Wow, already July! Here we go with a few things to plant this month in our area, not too many, but everything else is growing well!

Brussels sprouts - Grow in seed trays, plant out in 4-6 weeks.   Harvest from December.

Pak Choy - Sow in garden.   Harvest from October.

Sunflower - Sow in garden.   Harvest from November.

]Zucchini / Summer squash -  Grow in seed trays, and plant out in 4-6 weeks.  
Harvest from October.

There ya go, planting for Fall! Yay!   happy hi

For Zone 8B, Gardenate suggests:

Beans -   Plant in garden.
Broccoli - Plant in garden.
Chinese cabbage - Start undercover in seed trays and plant out in 4-6 weeks.
Chives - Start undercover in seed trays and plant out in 4-6 weeks.
Sweet corn - Plant in garden.
Tomato - Plant in garden.

With this heat, I'm personally focused on keeping everything watered, shaded and alive! I can't imagine starting anything for fall. Shocked

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/4/2016, 1:05 pm

Gardenate suggests cow peas and collards for Zone 9A.  ??  I wonder if they revised their planting schedule because this is different from prior posts.  ??  I recommend everyone staying cool (except for 4th of July festivities Very Happy ) It's hard to garden around triple digits.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/4/2016, 10:55 pm

sanderson wrote:Gardenate suggests cow peas and collards for Zone 9A.  ??  I wonder if they revised their planting schedule because this is different from prior posts.  ??  I recommend everyone staying cool (except for 4th of July festivities Very Happy )  It's hard to garden around triple digits.
It's actually a pleasant 89 here right now, down from a high of 94 -- just about perfect for this area. Very Happy I planted NZ spinach today (seeds from a very nice person here on the forum --  Wink ). Those seeds look like they came from another planet. affraid I can't wait to see what the plants look like. bounce
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/4/2016, 11:57 pm

Now, just patience. Don't let them dry out.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/5/2016, 11:48 am

sanderson wrote:Now, just patience.  Don't let them dry out.
I promise to take good care of your babies, Sanderson. flower
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/6/2016, 2:29 am

Ditto on your babies, come fall.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/6/2016, 12:18 pm

sanderson wrote:Ditto on your babies, come fall.
Maybe we should synchronize our planting schedule for those summer broccoli seeds and compare notes. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/10/2016, 10:37 am

Sanderson -- 2 of your NZ spinach seeds gave birth to triplets! Shocked If those seeds hadn't been so big, I'd blame it on sloppy planting, but there's no way I could have accidentally slipped 3 of those babies into the same hole. Should I just leave them alone? They must know what they're doing, right?  geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/10/2016, 11:07 am

Shocked I can't remember what it looked when it sprouted. The plant does spread in all directions. Maybe I will plant another. How many days to sprout?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/10/2016, 11:47 am

sanderson wrote:Shocked  I can't remember what it looked when it sprouted.  The plant does spread in all directions.  Maybe I will plant another.  How many days to sprout?
3-5 days to sprout and I just found another shoot next to one that sprouted yesterday, so most of them have multiple births. Wink
July: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas Nz-spi10

This gives me an idea for the forum. How about a "sprouting gallery" where we can post images of our new-borns. It could help us all identify volunteers (or keep us from nurturing weeds  affraid).
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2016, 1:17 pm

Interesting idea. If we plant per Mel's instruction, using grids and specific pacing, anything that comes up in another spot is either a weed or a volunteer. Let me think a bit.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/14/2016, 11:38 pm

I transplanted my next round of tomatoes -- 4th of July, Snow White cherry, and crimson beefsteak. I hope they do better than all those mid-eastern goofy things that took 120 days and gave back almost nothing.  Mad I also planted some other tomato seeds that will probably end up in the house for the winter. Those were green grape, window box, and Little Boy. Sooner or later I'll have to hit on something that works, doncha think?  geek

I also started a squash that's supposed to taste like sweet potatoes -- bush delicata. Hopefully that will yield something special for Thanksgiving.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/15/2016, 6:05 pm

To garden is to remain optimistic.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/15/2016, 6:29 pm

sanderson wrote:To garden is to remain optimistic.
I guess that makes me Charlie Brown to Mother Nature's Lucy.  No
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/15/2016, 6:55 pm

I'm Charlie Brown when it comes to tomatoes . . .

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/16/2016, 3:19 pm

countrynaturals wrote:

I also started a squash that's supposed to taste like sweet potatoes -- bush delicata. Hopefully that will yield something special for Thanksgiving.

Mmmm...delicata!  I can't grow them here due to SVB (tried last year) but I may be able to cover a bush delicata. Where did you get it?

Sanderson, I think once you find the exact right varieties for your area, and figure out the perfect timing, you'll do great with the tomatoes. It took me years And I still can't get the big guys right. It should be easy here in New England with only one growing season.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/16/2016, 7:57 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:

Mmmm...delicata!  I can't grow them here due to SVB (tried last year) but I may be able to cover a bush delicata. Where did you get it?
Sustainable Seed Co., here in CA. I have more seeds than I can use, but they take 85-100 days. Ya want a few seeds anyway?
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/1/2018, 2:27 am

I notice that I didn't even bump this thread for last July. Shocked For those of you in the LA and SF are and other coastal niches, you can start some fall seedlings. For the rest of the State where it is hot, just water, mulch and get the shade cloths up. Stay cool. happy smile

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next