Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! Toplef10My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! I22gcj10My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! Toplef10My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! I22gcj10My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Today at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Today at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Today at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Today at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

My SFG - Pic Heavy!!!

+4
llama momma
Cincinnati
Belle87ad
wncsohn
8 posters

Go down

My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! Empty My SFG - Pic Heavy!!!

Post  wncsohn 7/4/2012, 10:32 pm

I decided to finally snap a few pictures of my garden beds and some of my plants.

This is a picture of my bed (which I call "Bed1") with my purple cabbage in it.

From left to right in the top set of squares ...
Brussel Sprouts (which aren't doing all that hot) ...
Alaskan Peas (of which a few are still alive) ...
Black Beauty Eggplant (has a really cute baby eggplant on it and about 8 more blooms in various stages of growth) ...
Zuchinni Squash (which is really low to the ground and not growing well) ...
One of my tomato plants (don't remember off the top of my head what kind but it's an heirloom and doing to best of all of them)

My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! 04510

Bed2 is pretty much tomato plants with a few unproductive broccoli in it ... Not much to take a pic of ... But here's a "distance" pic .. (pardon the wheelbarrow!) ... it's behind the wheelbarrow & table ...

My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! 04014

Here is a pic of Bed3 ...

Tomato plants along the back along with two "Mammoth Sunflower's"... The tomato plants on the far right end are "Pear" tomatoes and both plants are pretty loaded down. Can't wait to start getting some ripe ones! ....
in front is more unproductive broccoli, lettuce (which is bolting) and an empty square.

My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! 04111

And this is my corn & bean bed ...
has Contender Greenbeans, Kidney Beans, Painted Pony Beans & Dutch Brown beans. We also planted a "Yukon Gold" potato in that bottom left corner (it was a leftover that my boys didn't get planted) .. and the Corn is "Country Gentleman" ... I've also planted another two squares in hopes of getting "succession" of corn going.

My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! 03910
wncsohn
wncsohn

Female Posts : 98

Back to top Go down

My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! Empty Re: My SFG - Pic Heavy!!!

Post  Belle87ad 7/4/2012, 10:35 pm

Gorgeous!!! I'm jealous. My seeds have only sprouted in the last week and it seems impossible to believe they'll get big and bushy one day like all yours!!! Thanks for posting pictures!!!
Belle87ad
Belle87ad

Female Posts : 74

Back to top Go down

My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! Empty Close-ups of some of the plants ...

Post  wncsohn 7/4/2012, 10:42 pm

My First ever Eggplant ...

My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! 04710

One of my "Pear" tomato plants ...

My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! 04211

A cluster of tomatoes on the large tomato plant in Bed 1 ...

My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! 04310

And a close-up of my purple cabbages .. I'm hoping that they're finally starting to try and develop heads!

My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! 04610

All in all, for my first year ever doing SFG .. combined with the challenge of 100+ degree heat for more than a week now .. and no rain to speak of for more than a month .. I think it's all going pretty good.

I do have another bed with sugar baby watermelon, tomatos, basil, lavender & thai basil in it, but my battery on the phone went dead before I could get pictures of it! The watermelon plant has one melon the size of a baseball and one that's bigger than a golfball but smaller than a tennis ball. It's also full of little blooms so I'm hoping to get a few watermelon's out of it!

Oh, and my potato bed .. which looks pathetic .. Embarassed .. I asked my 20 something sons to plant it for me (I was on the road with hubby driving at the time) and well, I guess I wasn't specific enough about how to plant them. I'll be lucky to get enough potatoes to replace the seed they planted. Rolling Eyes

Regardless ... I'm happy with how it's going. While everything didn't go "as planned" .. I know with gardens .. it seldom does! LOL
wncsohn
wncsohn

Back to top Go down

Post  wncsohn 7/4/2012, 10:46 pm

Belle87ad wrote:Gorgeous!!! I'm jealous. My seeds have only sprouted in the last week and it seems impossible to believe they'll get big and bushy one day like all yours!!! Thanks for posting pictures!!!

Thanks Belle! Although I must admit that a large portion of it is starts that I got from Lowes when they had their 50% off sale a while back. And it was a struggle getting them to actually "start growing" as I don't think my compost was right. I ended up having to add cottonseed & bone meals in order to get things going. It's only been in the last couple of weeks that things have really taken off.

Here's a picture of it from the 26th of June!

My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! 01911
wncsohn
wncsohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincinnati 7/5/2012, 8:51 am

wncsohn wrote:...a large portion of it is starts that I got from Lowes when they had their 50% off sale a while back. And it was a struggle getting them to actually "start growing" as I don't think my compost was right.

Don't be so quick to blame yourself. Lowes is not the best nursery in terms of proper plant care. I rarely buy any plants from my Lowes b/c I often see plants wilting in the pots the longer they are there. By the time they get to 50% off, they have been there a while.

Nice photos. I see you have an Irrigation Grid as well.
Cincinnati

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/5/2012, 9:10 am

Very Nice pictures! I love "strolling" through all the gardens.. You are going to love watching that eggplant grow, its quite dramatic day to day.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  wncsohn 7/5/2012, 9:37 am

llama momma wrote:Very Nice pictures! I love "strolling" through all the gardens.. You are going to love watching that eggplant grow, its quite dramatic day to day.

Thanks llama momma! And OMG about that eggplant .. you are SOOO right! When I checked it yesterday morning, it was barely as big as the end of my pinkey finger. Then, when I checked it again yesterday evening it had at *least* doubled in size! I was amazed!

Cincinnati - Thanks for the encouragement! Very Happy And yes, when I saw them here on the forums months ago, I knew I just had to have them! They're so easy to use for planting and watering! I absolutely love them.
wncsohn
wncsohn

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 7/5/2012, 10:04 am

Everything looks really nice wncsohn. Your cabbage looks outstanding!
I noticed a little eggplant FINALLY! forming on one of my plants this morning too My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! 3170584802

My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! 20120705_075645
I've got some leave snacking issues going on, but as long as I get some nice eggplants, I guess I can share a little Razz
My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! 20120705_075628

My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  wncsohn 7/5/2012, 10:08 am

RoOsTeR wrote:Everything looks really nice wncsohn. Your cabbage looks outstanding!
I noticed a little eggplant FINALLY! forming on one of my plants this morning too My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! 3170584802

My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! 20120705_075645
I've got some leave snacking issues going on, but as long as I get some nice eggplants, I guess I can share a little Razz
My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! 20120705_075628

Pretty! I love purple so I think my Eggplant's flowers are georgous! Looks like you'll get a few out of it! I counted my buds last night and had about 8 more coming on. I'm really looking forward to eating them!
wncsohn
wncsohn

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 7/5/2012, 10:40 am

This is probably blasphemous but I don't understand why people like eggplants. They have no flavor and the texture is not very appealing.
Am I wrong?
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Female Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 7/5/2012, 10:49 am

SwampCatNana wrote:This is probably blasphemous but I don't understand why people like eggplants. They have no flavor and the texture is not very appealing.
Am I wrong?
Lee

Well, I guess everyone has their likes and dislikes. To me, there's not much better than some thickly sliced eggplant, brushed with EVOO, and sprinkled with salt and pepper and tossed on the grill. They make a fantastic alternative to a hamburger patty for a nice light dinner. My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! 3170584802
Lol, I don't know how anyone can like beets tongue Razz

My SFG - Pic Heavy!!! Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/5/2012, 12:27 pm

SwampCatNana wrote:This is probably blasphemous but I don't understand why people like eggplants. They have no flavor and the texture is not very appealing.
Am I wrong?
Lee

Eggplant is like tofu, not much on it own, but takes on great flavor from the stuff it's cooked with.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/5/2012, 12:39 pm

I wouldn't go near eggplant till a few years ago. It is wonderful with tomato based recipes and eggplant parmasan is outstanding too. I could eat it with a side dish of beets, go figure.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/5/2012, 1:11 pm

Wncsohn your garden looks amazing! Just think, you rescued the plants from Lowes. I'm sure the plants got a great start from the grower under ideal conditions but then they are transported and bumped all over the place, and then taken care of by people who may or may not know much about plants and they are so busy. So by the time you got them they were stressed and had some recovering to do. When you transplant any plant, they send out roots first and then start growing more above ground. So you did great!

Lee I agree with you about eggplant. They are so beautiful but the one time I tried it, I didn't care for it. It was made as eggplant parmesan. It was over 30 years ago that I tried it so i probably should try it again. I like beets shredded in a salad but not pickled. It may be that each was not the best recipe so I may try it this year.

Rooster those eggplant blossoms are beautiful! I would consider growing eggplant just for those! I have heard people growing artichoke for their flower! Your garden looks wonderful also!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  wncsohn 7/5/2012, 1:41 pm

OOops!! What I thought was an eggplant was actually a flower that hadn't opened yet! LOL Ah well, I'm gonna go paint me an eggplant later today! Very Happy

And honestly, I've never had eggplant before! haha! I just know that it looks delish and I'm always hearing people talk about how wonderful it is. DH and I are thinking about cutting alot of the meats we eat out of our diet, so this will make a decent replacement I'm thinking Smile
wncsohn
wncsohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down