Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Toplef10PNW: July Updates - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 I22gcj10PNW: July Updates - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Toplef10PNW: July Updates - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 I22gcj10PNW: July Updates - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

PNW: July Updates

+14
happycamper
Lavender Debs
Goosegirl
FamilyGardening
plainolebill
plantoid
Triciasgarden
boffer
camprn
smriti
Nonna.PapaVino
walshevak
TheGinPalace
gwennifer
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Empty Re: PNW: July Updates

Post  camprn 7/2/2012, 9:35 pm

I am SO jealous of your ability to grow cauliflower and artichokes. I didn't even bother with cauliflower this year, and my one artichoke plant gave up the ghost.
Nice job on the corn okay

So, with those little individual shower caps on the cabbages, does that really work?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/2/2012, 9:45 pm

Yeppers. The shower caps are shade cloth cut to size. No worms in my cabbage, and Josh can't see how big they are! Razz

I had gotten two heads damaged, so I inspected these real close before I covered them. We've eaten four clean heads already.

My only complaint is that the hearts weren't very tight. Anybody know how to prevent that?
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Empty New to forum

Post  plainolebill 7/3/2012, 2:31 am

Hi, I posted an introduction on the main board and someone pointed out that there was a PNW forum. Glad to be here.

I live in Corvallis, but I lived for a number of years in the South Kitsap area and raised a garden while we lived there so I'm familiar with the climate around Puget Sound. We get more summer heat here so tomatoes and other solanaceae are easier to grow. (but still not easy)

I have garlic just about ready to harvest, 150 plants of various varieties (my wife thinks I overdid it?). I'm hoping we don't get any more significant rain before it's time to dig it up.

We got a later than normal start on some things this year because we were on vacation for a good part of April. Well late potatoes store better than early.

Here's what we have in the ground right now. Tomatoes, costata romanesco zucchini, tromboncino squash, potatoes, lettuce, eggplant, english peas (grow better in Washington than here), basil, pole beans, cukes, peppers, parsips, magenta spreen lambsquarter. I know I'm forgetting something.

We try to grow high value crops that are expensive in the organic produce section. We also like to grow a few unusual crops, this month we will plant salsify and long black spanish radish for our winter garden. We'll also start red russian kale, upland cress and a fall crop of kweik lettuce.

Six blueberry bushes a patch of raspberries a big old gravenstein apple tree and a partridge in a pear tree. Rabid gardners like most of you.

Bill - I'll post a few pictures soon, thanks
plainolebill
plainolebill

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/3/2012, 3:18 am

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 396615 to the forum plainolebil!......look forward to viewing some pictures!

Boffer your garden looks wonderful and congrats on the nice cauliflower harvest!!...if you dont eat your artichokes....i would love to see what they look like when they bloom Very Happy your 8 squashes ...well....they are HUGE Shocked what kind are you growing?....your corn looks to be twice as tall as ours....our oldest corn plants might just hit the knee of our 12 year old daughter.....tongue

gwen....thats so funny about the flamingos.....my best friend had that happen to her Razz and no it was not by me.....though i think it would be fun to do that.....hmmm...Cool

theginpalace....your front yard SFG is wonderful!!....congrats on such a lush garden growing.....cheers its a fine example of growing in SFG box's!

smriti.....i am going to google fenugreek...dont know what that is study ....hope your toms recover from the move and give you lots of fruit!....i know how hard it is to prune....i tell my tom's its for their own good geek

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/3/2012, 3:46 am

well i went out sunday feeling sorry for my self PNW: July Updates - Page 2 1280598131 .....to find my self cheering up jocolor when i took a close look at whats growing even with the lack of sunshine bounce

this is what i found.......

sweet strawberries we are eating at least this much daily Very Happy

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscf0046

our sugar snap peas are over the top.....the vines are loaded and so sweet!...they are loving this weather!

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscf0047

fava beans are doing well....and very yummy....we couldnt wait and picked them to soon.....some of the beans inside were small.....thats ok...we are learning still and the kids had fun taking them out of the pods!...we ate them in a pasta dish....Very Happy

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscf0048

our first scapes Very Happy havent picked them yet....kids call them dragon tails Razz

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscf0049

not sure if you can see them thru the tellie....these are bok choi seed pods Shocked we are going to save these seeds.....we have TON's! of pods cyclops

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscf0050

our blueberries are turning blue Very Happy

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscf0051

our re-seeded spinach is coming up...hoping to get some spinach this time....going to move that pot around to shade it....

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscf0052

beans that we may have planted to close together What a Face

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscf0054

my daughters flowers Very Happy

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscf0055

cilantro flowers

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscf0056

so lesson learned.....the garden is alive :drunken:

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/3/2012, 8:07 am

Rose, how lovely!!! Very Happy

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/3/2012, 12:48 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:well i went out sunday feeling sorry for my self PNW: July Updates - Page 2 1280598131 .....to find my self cheering up jocolor when i took a close look at whats growing even with the lack of sunshine bounce

As I recall, you said in another thread that this is your third year of gardening? If so, I wanted to say that you have an unknown wonderful experience waiting for you when we finally have another warmer than usual summer.

2009 was about 25% warmer than usual, and I could do no wrong! I direct seeded everything except tomatoes, and I had harvests coming out my ears. My wife overplanted an area, and we had tomatoes, cukes, squashes, and beans climbing all over each other creating a jungle that made it difficult to find the veggies to harvest. The jungle got hit by the yard sprinklers everyday, and ventilation had to be poor, but everything thrived with no disease issues. I was able to grow and put up enough corn to last nearly a year. I'm getting goose bumps thinking about how great it was!

Then we got hit with 2010 and 11 which were cooler than average, and I hardly had any warm season crops to can. It was devastating to me. So I started concentrating on cool crops and experimenting with hoop houses, and finally, this year, making a greenhouse so I could have some warm season crops regardless of the weather. This spring, as I was building my greenhouse, I was secretly hoping that just because I had a greenhouse, the joke would be on me, and I wouldn't need it. It hasn't turned out that way unfortunately.

Anyhow, hone your cool weather gardening strategies, and sooner or later, we're going to have a 'good weather for gardening' season that will blow you away! BIG hug
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/3/2012, 12:53 pm

Bof, how do you attach the shower caps to the cabbages?

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/3/2012, 12:58 pm

They're just laying on top with the corners tucked under a leaf. Haven't lost one to the wind yet. I'll try to get a close up pic later today.

When it comes to work, I'm a minimalist! Wink
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/3/2012, 1:07 pm

boffer wrote:When it comes to work, I'm a minimalist! Wink
okay

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 7/3/2012, 1:51 pm

Am I the only one who likes our weather here? Remember I was raised in Alaska (too cold), then went to college in Arizona (too hot) before moving here (just right!). I was happy when I heard it raining last night - that meant a day off from hand watering. Plus, we have the best weather for rainbow hunting!

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Rainbo10
One of my favorite things is when it's sunny and raining at the same time. The raindrops just sparkle!

Before I forget, we had some lovely last posts in our June update thread - I hope you all saw happycamper's before and after pictures! And Lavender Debs has a lot going on getting ready to make room a new greenhouse. I see you're eyeing your sunny front lawn as potential garden space - hopefully TheGinPalace's front yard garden served as some inspiration in that regard. I was reminded of a post by Rowena who shared that she has a front yard "gleaning garden" for passers by to take from. This would be a lovely way to accomplish that. I'm hoping to inspire a neighbor across the street who has full sun in her front yard, and a side yard just like that that is currently unused except for a large lavender that is full of bees - perfect companion for a garden!

boffer, I'm loving your gardens as always. Can't wait to see your pics when we do have one of those above average summers again. Shocked I'm interested in yours and Rose's snap peas. Looks like they produce really well and also grow really tall, which would be fun for the kiddos. My Oregon sugar pods top out at about 3' I think. When did you plant those carrots?! Mine are only a couple of inches tall.

Okay, enough stalling - I admit I'm feeling a bit reluctant to post pictures of my tiny garden after all the beauties that have been shared. But here goes! Here's an overall shot. Lots more MM showing than I would have liked at this point in the year. Still trying to get cucumbers. Brandywine has been pruned so much it hardly shows up against the trellis. Four of the five carrots that got their tops munched down grew back, but overall still puny.PNW: July Updates - Page 2 07021210

I see some of you have been harvesting your garlic - is there some sign I should be looking for to know when it's ready to harvest? You can see here how my lettuces are finally beginning to fill up their squares.PNW: July Updates - Page 2 07021211

My poor pepper plants look like little trees with all their lower leaves missing. I figure when the weather warms up they'll fill in. But this pepper is hanging on and growing well!PNW: July Updates - Page 2 07021212

Tiny broccoli's. Oh well. They can still be eaten.PNW: July Updates - Page 2 07021213

I dug around this onion that bolted and it hadn't begun to bulb so I left it in to see what the flower would look like. It's really grown! I'm glad the others didn't bolt - they seem to be beginning to bulb out now. One in the corner got broken by the hose or something. I cut it down and we'll see if new greens will come out. PNW: July Updates - Page 2 07021214

That's a really tiny broccoli plant behind that onion square. More shade there than I realized. That must change with the season, because the cauliflower I planted there last year grew fine. Anyway, there's my garden!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/3/2012, 6:03 pm

gwen your garden looks great Very Happy

that sure is a tall onion.....are you going to save seeds?.....we have a green onion that we are going to try and save the seeds from...it has a nice flower ball at top...but im not sure what it does next and how to save the seeds....PNW: July Updates - Page 2 601593

our sugar snap peas are from ed humes were sown in march.....we grew them last year too...and love the sweet taste of them and they produce really well.....they are a hybrid so we cant save the seeds....we also tried an heirloom type of sugar snap this year....but they look more like a snow pea and even though they taste ok...they are not the same as our ed humes sugar snaps....not the same sweet taste....they were only to get to 4ft tall...but.... they went up and fell over our 5ft fence....PNW: July Updates - Page 2 1280598131 ...hope are neighbor likes peas......PNW: July Updates - Page 2 523562 .....they are hanging over our fence on top of our neighbors rose bushes......What a Face

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/3/2012, 6:09 pm

Boffer thanks for the advice.....and everything you said (((hugs)))

*hone your cool weather gardening strategies* YES....YES....YES

i have learned so much from everyone here in our PNW forum and feel blessed to have this forum to come to for help....we are excited to have our first true fall planting with our hoops Very Happy thank you so much Boffer!!

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 7/3/2012, 7:30 pm

boffer wrote:A 2x2 box full of sunchokes. I'm afraid that I'm going to get one giant sunchoke that's 2x2!
PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscn1920

Hey boffer, you had to google forking pranks, I had to google sunchokes! Posting my find in case anybody else was wondering:

&

They sound really yummy. I'm inviting myself to your place when you're ready to harvest so I can taste them and bring home some of the smaller ones to start my own patch. What a Face
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/3/2012, 7:52 pm

gwennifer wrote:...Hey boffer, you had to google forking pranks, I had to google sunchokes! Posting my find in case anybody else was wondering:

Yeah, but forking pranks wasn't a Rookie Topic! yahoo

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t6834-friday-s-rookie-post-iiisunroots

Anybody is welcome to a few pounds this fall to get your own going. You can replant perpetually, and they grow good in 'dirt' too. This past spring I measured out 2lb, and they fit in a 'if it fits, it ships' old box that I had for $5.50. I went to the P.O. to get the boxes before I said anything on the forum, and they had discontinued that small size box. Sad

Prices on the internet are all over the place. I've seen them for as much as $8 per pound, which is a rip-off in my opinion.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 7/4/2012, 12:20 am

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 926169

In my defense, I would have had to actually click on that topic to know that sunroots were the same thing as sunchokes...! (I've hardly read any of the Rookie Topics. Shameful, isn't it?) I found your harvest picture. Question: Did you grow these in MM? They seem very clean - no problems with the vermiculite sticking to them like it did your taters?

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscn1410
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/4/2012, 12:24 am

The skins are tougher than taters. I took a scrub brush to them. The skins are edible though. They sure are ugly looking things, eh?
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/4/2012, 12:25 am

gwennifer wrote:Am I the only one who likes our weather here? ...
I'm interested in yours and Rose's snap peas. Looks like they produce really well and also grow really tall, which would be fun for the kiddos. My Oregon sugar pods top out at about 3' I think. When did you plant those carrots?! Mine are only a couple of inches tall.

I like any temperature as long as the sky is blue. There'll be no Arizona winters for me in the future-my wife loves our weather too. Sad

The peas in my picture are Super Sugar Snaps from TSC, planted on 3/17. They're only supposed to reach 5 feet, but mine are pushing 7. I made four carrot plantings in the box. The left corner was planted 3/7, and I've harvested some already. The right corner was planted for carrot week, but they're not ready yet.

With the variety you have in your box, it's much more interesting to look at than a box of carrots, or a box of beets. However, I chuckled at your leaf lettuce because that's how I grew them my first year too. Now, I plant at least 20 per square and snip at them pretty hard as they grow. I can get a lot more lettuce out of a square that way. It will be time to harvest your garlic when they turn partially brown. My spring broccoli heads have been small the last three years, and I've been getting big heads in the fall.

I forgot to mention that for the first time I'm getting baseball size Walla Wallas. They are incredibly sweet, and so much better than store bought. But my box of potato onions all turned out very small, and the red and white onions all bolted early. Go figure.

The summer greenhouse.
PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscn1925

18 tomato plants; next year will be 30.
PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscn2022

No blush yet.
PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscn2021

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscn2015

More garbage can lid lettuce; I've got five of these scattered around.
PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscn1926

I pruned a secondary vine off a plant, and stuck it in MM. It's not very healthy looking, but it's got two fruit coming.
PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscn1927

All the fruit is on one branch, and I'm having trouble keeping it on the rope.
PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscn2016

Only one spaghetti squash so far.
PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscn2017

I'm losing the battle with aphids on my peppers, but this is the first time I've gotten jalapenos.
PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscn2018

More sad looking peppers on the water barrels I'm trying to use for passive heating. Solar passive heating in the PNW? NOT! The tall cylinder in the back is my old water heater I replaced last month, full of water.
PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscn2019

boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/4/2012, 6:53 am

Looking GREAT Bof! What a Face

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/4/2012, 11:53 am

Great greenhouse growth Boffer!

GG

PS - Hubby would love your weather too. He likes those temps and gray skies. Shocked
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 7/4/2012, 2:05 pm

Even by PNW standards I am way behind. No shortcake, but the corn is about knee high. There will be peas for dinner. The rest of you PNW'ers amaze me!

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 July_410
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/8/2012, 2:16 am

the weather is wonderful cheers ......this weekend we transplanted two pepper plants into larger containers....glad we did because it looked as though they were starting to get a bit root bound they each have several green peppers on them.....we are thinking about keeping them out of the green house while we are in this heat wave......we are also wondering if its to hot in there for our brandywine tomato plant......today at 3:30pm it was 119* sunny

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscf0070

our first green pepper Very Happy

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscf0071

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscf0072

over the weekend we also started some more bean starts.....it might be a bit to late....should have thought about it sooner and had them ready for when we pulled our potatoes ...yes we dug up our taters a couple of days ago.....worried they may have blight...... but after researching more.......i dont think it was blight....i think they just got extra ugly this year the taters are more *new potato* size.....very yummy :drunken: we got over 20 lbs worth!

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscf0073

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscf0075

here is some of the harvest.....we already had two meals from them before taking the pic albino

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscf0076

our lettuce is waaay out of control and remember the cantalope starts we bought because i was so worried the seedlings we had were to small....well....they are just about the same size now Shocked

store bought cantalope starts

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscf0077

our cantalope from seed

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscf0078

our cucumbers, squash and pumpkins all have either flowered or have flower buds Shocked

pumpkin from saved seeds of last years flower

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscf0079

cucumbers

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscf0080

its amazing how much the garden grows with a bit of
sunny sunshine sunny

hugs
rose.....
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/8/2012, 2:21 am

Lavender Debs wrote:Even by PNW standards I am way behind. No shortcake, but the corn is about knee high. There will be peas for dinner. The rest of you PNW'ers amaze me!

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 July_410

Debs we think you are pretty amazing too!!

:drunken: sooooo jealous of your corn!! :drunken:

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 7/9/2012, 2:20 am

boffer wrote:I planted these seeds 90 days ago. I swear the package said Iceberg Lettuce. PNW: July Updates - Page 2 601593
PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscn2014

Hey boffer, I almost forgot... I took a picture of iceburg lettuce starts I saw at Home Depot:

PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Icebur10
They look like a match to me. Have you ever grown a head type lettuce before? When I saw Josh's pics from his Big Stuff thread, it looks like tons of loose leaves grow too. Are you gonna keep letting them grow to see if they form a head? I think there is a Rookie Topic on head lettuces in the works...
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/9/2012, 10:35 am

No, I haven't grown head lettuce before. I have the room, so I'll let them grow. I tasted some old and new leaves yesterday, and they're getting bitter. These are iceburg lettuce from a flat of starts that I picked up from the nursery that were on closeout. These started heading up when they were quite a bit smaller.
PNW: July Updates - Page 2 Dscn2023

Maybe there's a trick to get them to head up. I look forward to reading the RT.

Last edited by boffer on 7/9/2012, 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next