Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
newbie with some problems Toplef10newbie with some problems 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

newbie with some problems I22gcj10newbie with some problems 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
newbie with some problems Toplef10newbie with some problems 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

newbie with some problems I22gcj10newbie with some problems 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

newbie with some problems

5 posters

Go down

newbie with some problems Empty newbie with some problems

Post  jeeperchk 6/29/2012, 2:48 pm

Hi all,
I just built our SFGs and this is my first summer trying out the method. At first I had issues with animals (birds, squirrels, and rabbits), but with some cages, I have circumvented that problem newbie with some problems _DSC3195-1. Now I am hoping for some help figuring out what is going on with the squash, beans, and peppers. I used Mels mix as directed. At the beginning i watered the garden with a hose overhead, but have since been watering with a watering can since I have read the overhand watering spreads disease. I'm hoping its not too late. We live in middle Tennessee and it has been very hot lately (as it has in most of the country). For the last few weeks the temps have been in the 90s and now low 100s. I've been watering every other day. When I started the garden, I used crushed eggshell water on peppers and tomatoes.This past week I sprinkled Job's organic vegetable and tomato granular fertilizer around the bases of the plants.

1) The summer squash look great in the morning and evening, but during the day they wilt like crazy newbie with some problems _DSC3230. The winter squash have brown lower leaves, the flowers fall off quickly, and there is no fruit newbie with some problems _DSC3221. There are also healthy leaves that look good in the morning, but they too wilt like crazy in the afternoon. I thought it might be bacterial wilt because my cucumber got this (I have since destroyed all of the cucumber plants), but there is no sticky goo when I break off a stem from either plant .

2) The lower leaves of the beans (planted from seed) are turning brown newbie with some problems _DSC3216. They are also growing VERY slowly .

3) My pepper plants were off to a great start and tolerated transplant from the house with no problems. This past week the bases have gotten very weak and thin, the plants then fall over and die. newbie with some problems _DSC3229

Thanks in advance. We have worked so hard, so it's extremely disappointing to watch the plants struggling.
jeeperchk
jeeperchk

Back to top Go down

newbie with some problems Empty Re: newbie with some problems

Post  CharlesB 6/29/2012, 3:17 pm

Over 100 is as hard on plants as it is on us. Take a wood skewer, like a BBQ one and stick it in the soil. After it is in there for a day you can pull it out and touch it to your hand. If it isn't dry you don't need to water yet. The pepper looks like the base got too much moisture. The beans having lower leaves brown like that isn't unusual. The lower leaves on my pole beans are starting to look a little rough from this heat as well (Pennsylvania).

Being that you have those really nice cages I would try and put some cheese cloth on them to give shade to your plants in the hottest part of the day. Especially the squash. Know what I mean? Where you'd let them get full sun in morning and night but in the middle of the day they would be in shade. In a pinch you could probably just fasten strips of cardboard to the top of the cages.

Good luck.
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post  csmith2009 6/29/2012, 3:24 pm

I have no answers for you, but I just thought you'd like to know you are not alone. I also live in Middle TN. I am a transplant from New England, and this is my first year gardening in this very different climate. I didn't think it was so terribly different (same hardiness zone as up north), but I have been through hell with this garden! Most of my plants are weak and leggy, I've endured plagues of just about every pest known to Man, and the thermometer just zoomed from 100.5 to 103.1 within the past half hour! The other day a deer came into the garden while I was at a neighbor's house and dined on my lettuce and parsley while my husband and dog napped near the window...that just about did me in!!

If anything, I hope you feel a little better now! Hang in there!
csmith2009
csmith2009

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/29/2012, 4:43 pm

The mid day heat is causing your plants to wilt like that as they try to conserve water. Its a good thing that they are bouncing back in the evening. I would water more in the evening to allow the plants to soak it up overnight.

The lower leaves of the squash and beans browning and drying out is quite normal. Those leaves have reached the end of their usefulness and will die off. The rest of the plant looks healthy.

The pepper plants look to me as if they are suffering from damping off, a fungal problem. There is no help for those that have died, but the ones that have survived I would try watering the soil, at soil level, around the stems and avoid watering the plant.
Hope this helps.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

newbie with some problems WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 6/29/2012, 5:43 pm

with those beautiful cages you've made, can you drop some shade cloth over them, and use clothespins etc to secure it? boy, it's HOT there! hang in there, and let us know how you do.
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  jeeperchk 7/1/2012, 2:12 pm

Thank you all for the suggestions- I really do appreciate your insight. Yesterday I thoroughly watered in the morning, and I put up shade cloth over the cages. This morning I looked at the plant and they seem to be getting worse. The brown leaves on the beans are spreading, now nearly half of the leaves appear to be dying. newbie with some problems Untitled-1

The squash leaves now have brown spots, some edges are curling up, and some leaves are yellowing as well.
newbie with some problems Untitlednewbie with some problems Test2-1

I was reading other posts and noticed that tomato blight appears to be a huge problem. I thought that mine were doing fine, but under closer inspection see brown specks on the leaves. Is this normal or is something wrong with them too?
newbie with some problems Test2-2

Thanks again for all of your responses. I think I'm becoming paranoid!
jeeperchk
jeeperchk

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/1/2012, 2:22 pm

Try watering every other day.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

newbie with some problems WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  jeeperchk 7/1/2012, 2:31 pm

Camprn- did you say to water every other day because you think that I am watering too much?
jeeperchk
jeeperchk

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/1/2012, 3:32 pm

jeeperchk wrote:Camprn- did you say to water every other day because you think that I am watering too much?
yup. could be Very Happy

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down