Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Rain on my parade Toplef10Rain on my parade 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Rain on my parade I22gcj10Rain on my parade 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Rain on my parade Toplef10Rain on my parade 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Rain on my parade I22gcj10Rain on my parade 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Rain on my parade

+4
new2this
dixie
camprn
Shoda
8 posters

Go down

Rain on my parade Empty Rain on my parade

Post  Shoda 4/10/2010, 5:21 pm

After a rainy and muddy spring, I finally had a few days to start building my SFG. I was anxious to start but it went very well. I managed to build the boxes with only a bit of help from my three kids. I am making my boxes double high so they will be easier to tend and will be able to grow root vegies anywhere. I made a 4x8, a 4x6 and a 2x8 from 2x6 redwood. Since I was doing this alone, I used a corner clamp to help hold the corners while I drilled. I felt such a feeling of accomplishment! Rain on my parade 418730

As suggested on this website, I used metal brackets to attach two stacked boxes and I even secured the corners with metal angle brackets because the corners didn't want to line up.

Rain on my parade Icon_sad When my husband came home he rained on my parade... which is why I didn't include him in the building in the first place. When I showed him my handywork, he said "they look fine." Then he started telling me that the metal brackets wouldn't hold as the boards aged, wanted to know how long the screws were that I used (not long enough) and then went on to make some comments about all the knots in the wood, and so on and so on. With humor, I got him to stop but now I am worried that all my hard work will fall apart in a few years. Rain on my parade 926169

Today I was going to coat the boxes with some soy based sealer I found called SoyGuard and work on the water lines. No such luck. It started to rain again! I put bricks under the corners of the boxes to get them off the ground and covered them with heavy tarp.

As soon as the rain stops, I will post some pictures. In the meantime, I guess I will go to the store and get the last ingredient for the Mel's Mix.

-- Lisa
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Rain on my parade Empty Re: Rain on my parade

Post  camprn 4/10/2010, 5:32 pm

I learned a long time ago that nothing in gardening is ever really permanent. Even perennial beds need a make over now and then. If your boxes need some work in a few years, ok, so they need maintenance or replacing. but right now, your an accomplished Square Foot Garden box builder!!! Very Happy
As far as the rain on the parade... well, April showers bring May flowers, you just have to get planting!!! Congratulations on a job well done.

Additionally, I learned a long time ago that I cannot please everyone. If my hubby needed to have things done just 'so', well, he can just go ahead and do that. Wink

Last edited by camprn on 4/10/2010, 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie 4/10/2010, 7:41 pm

You should feel very proud of yourself because you took the initiative to plan it all out & do it yourself. Can't wait to see pics.
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

Post  new2this 4/10/2010, 8:27 pm

Oh, Lisa - I hear ya!
I too made my boxes all by myself; just me, myself and I! My dear hubby was the same way......well, you could've done this, you should've done that........but I am very proud of myself and think I did well.
I bet your beds look great and they'll hold up just fine. What a sense of accomplishment.
I say good for you!!
new2this

Female Posts : 215

Back to top Go down

Post  jerzyjen 4/10/2010, 9:13 pm

Well... no garden fresh goodies for hubby with that kind of attitude! hehe

Congrats im sure you did a great job. I make boxes out of scrap basically and use what i can find and my boxes were fine all last year and should hold up this year as well. If scrap pallet tops that were already worn when I got them can last two years I'm sure your boxes will be just fine for many years.

What I've learned already in my second year? I am GLAD that I have to redo my boxes next year because I want to change the layout and add more! Don't let him get you down!
jerzyjen
jerzyjen

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  Kabaju42 4/10/2010, 9:21 pm

jerzyjen wrote:Well... no garden fresh goodies for hubby with that kind of attitude! hehe

I second the motion!

Seriously though, just like the others have said, your boxes will be fine. Rumor has it that if you use new wood, it should last something like 5 years, and I'm sure sealing them will help. As for the screws, if they last long enough for you to get the boxes. As for the screws, if they hold the boxes long enough to get them to their final spot then there fine.
Kabaju42
Kabaju42

Male Posts : 249

Back to top Go down

Post  Toastie 4/10/2010, 10:17 pm

Let me ask you this
Did you enjoy yourself building it
If so then it is never a waste. You might be rebuilding your box in a few years from the box deteriorating or just decide you want a bigger box
My first boxes are from old 1x6 treated fence boards that were left by the previous owner of my new house. I know those will fall apart in a few years, but the time I spent building them with my family was priceless

Ok what comments is he making about the knots in the wood, he think they will fall out or something

PS just hit him in the head with the first tomato you harvest and tell him to see if he can do any better
Toastie

Back to top Go down

Post  Amy in Idaho 4/10/2010, 11:01 pm

Wow, I think you should just ignore him. He is probably feeling a blow to his manly ego because you didn't ask him to do it for you. Or he's jealous because you did better than he would have. Seriously though, all wood rots eventually, even cedar will need replacing sometime. And as Kabaju42 said, if the screws hold it long enough to get it where its going they have done their job. Good for you building your boxes though! I personally wouldn't let my husband near the power tools, I just asked for his muscles when I needed dirt moved. And feed him my beautiful veggies. Rain on my parade Icon_biggrin
Amy in Idaho
Amy in Idaho

Female Posts : 53

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down