Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers - Page 3 Toplef10Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers - Page 3 I22gcj10Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers - Page 3 Toplef10Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers - Page 3 I22gcj10Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 7:58 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by markqz Today at 2:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson Today at 2:06 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers

+22
Scorpio Rising
sanderson
Marc Iverson
mschaef
WriterCPA
llama momma
walshevak
bnoles
jewlz2121
gregrenee88
Dunkinjean
Triciasgarden
southern gardener
GWN
Frenchbean
michellentn
FamilyGardening
camprn
darci.strutt
KDeus
RoOsTeR
cheyannarach
26 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers - Page 3 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers

Post  WriterCPA 8/16/2013, 7:09 pm

Camp

Thanks for point between hot and cold compost piles. I have one of each. I think my problems are also build up in the soil from planting my sunflowers in the same place for three years.

The garden gate is the best place for the sunflowers. Now I just need something that grows well with them; a nice plot of strawberries sounds good.

Do you think I can save my azalea by transplanting it? It's pretty big (5' tall and 3' diameter, but 2/3 dead.
WriterCPA
WriterCPA

Female Posts : 138

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers - Page 3 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers

Post  sanderson 8/16/2013, 9:22 pm

WriterCPA, I successfully moved a 3' azalea and it lived and thrived for many years. Beginner's luck??

I would wait until it cools down. The leaves transpire and loose water, especially in the heat and wind. The roots are suppose to be "shallow" so take as much dirt and root ball as you can. Water well but don't drown. Mulch the root zone but not up to the base of the plant. (Mulching is something I learned on this Forum!!) Prune the truly dead part. You may not get many flowers next year but if it survives and likes its new location, it should rebound in the long run.

Good luck this fall.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21556

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 8/17/2013, 7:58 am

camprn wrote:My sunflowers started to pop open a bit today. flower 
Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers - Page 3 3170584802 
We need pictures!

Really enjoying all the info on sunflowers Very Happy 

Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers - Page 3 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrenee88 8/18/2013, 3:18 pm

Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers - Page 3 02010

Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers - Page 3 01010
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 8/19/2013, 12:18 am

I also planted Sunflowers near my Vegetable Garden and also in my Perennial Garden. I thought it would be a wonderful way to encourage bees in my gardens. Not only did I get a lot of bees but I also saw a goldfinch sitting on one of my sunflowers! It was so beautiful but flew away before any pics could be taken.
So next year I will be planting sunflowers again - out of the SFG but near.....Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers - Page 3 1787710427
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/19/2013, 7:35 am

The finches will be back, with all their family. flower 

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/19/2013, 7:36 am

Gregrenee, nice pic with the swallowtail! Pretty flowers.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrenee88 8/19/2013, 4:36 pm

camprn wrote:Gregrenee, nice pic with the swallowtail! Pretty flowers.
Thank you!  The one with the butterfly is from seedsharing on here.  They are not in SFG but I plan to plant a lot more next year now that I know that they work were planted!

Renee flower

Last edited by camprn on 8/19/2013, 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed quote box)
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Back to top Go down

Post  WriterCPA 9/5/2013, 11:04 pm

Sunflower pictures

For some reason, the ones we planted in front of the house are shorter than the ones in the backyard.

Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers - Page 3 09-05-13HarvestandProblems031_zpsfe012928

Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers - Page 3 09-05-13HarvestandProblems032_zps574ca2eb

We named the 15 foot Mammoth by the back fence, "Grandpa."  He has 20 heads that we can count. No idea how we will harvest these. I really hope to save some of the seeds for next year. -- Is that realistic?

Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers - Page 3 09-05-13HarvestandProblems030_zps2bc511ca
WriterCPA
WriterCPA

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrenee88 9/6/2013, 1:24 pm

I see the power lines above the big one. How close is that sunflower plant to them???
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Back to top Go down

Post  WriterCPA 9/6/2013, 8:31 pm

The lower lines are phone and cable and are 3 - 4 away along a horizontal line from the plant to the lines. The power line is about another 6 feet above those. Closer than I would like and a hell of a lot closer than I will ever go to trim it. When it is time to bring this fellow down, we will make sure he is cut to fall away from the lines. But you can see how big he is!

I'll try to get a picture tomorrow morning when the morning glories are open.
WriterCPA
WriterCPA

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers - Page 3 Empty Sunflowers: Starting seeds indoors

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/24/2016, 2:46 pm

OK, since I just spent some ca$h on sunflower seeds in an impulse moment at Walmart, I was inspired to see how to keep my sunflower seeds alive. I planted at least 5 or 6 packages last, summer direct into the garden, and not a single seedling made it. My vigorous squirrel and bird activity is the reason, and I do encourage them, by feeders, etc. because they are fun and pretty.

However, I am going to start my sunflowers indoors for transplanting outside. From what I have read, they dislike transplanting, so intend to use peat pots. I am thinking about 3 weeks before FF date? Anyone do indoors sunflower starting? sunny
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8731

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/24/2016, 7:17 pm

You probably meant LF date? I have started them indoors in plastic seed pots and just carefully transplanted them.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/24/2016, 8:10 pm

sanderson wrote:You probably meant LF date?  I have started them indoors in plastic seed pots and just carefully transplanted them.

Yes, my last FF date is May 1st or 8th, so I figure I will start them mid April inside, hoping to out smart the little seed eaters that got them last year!

They will be strong enough to take care by then!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  milt48 2/2/2016, 3:04 pm

I love sunflowers, but unfortunately so do the many squirrels that nest in the huge Sycamore trees in my yard and nearby.
milt48
milt48

Male Posts : 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/2/2016, 10:47 pm

I have a bunch of really fat suburban squirrels, but they didn't mess with the 2 volunteer sunflower plants that grew from my birdfeeder offings. What they DID do was ate every one of my carefully planted direct sow sunflower seeds, resulting in zero sunflowers where I planted and wanted them, and 2 where I didn't want or plant them. They were such nice strong plants I let them go, and the pollinators LOVED them! Hence, my renewed passion for them....plus they're pretty.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/3/2016, 12:50 am

I'm going to try sunflowers as points of interest along the inside of the fence next to the public sidewalk. So, of course, they won't grow. Razz

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/3/2016, 8:20 am

sanderson wrote:I'm going to try sunflowers as points of interest along the inside of the fence next to the public sidewalk.  So, of course, they won't grow. Razz

Absolutely Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers - Page 3 671790
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/3/2016, 10:21 am

I'm going to try some in buckets where my greenhouse will eventually be. Lots of sun, gravel for drainage, good open area...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/3/2016, 3:13 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
sanderson wrote:I'm going to try sunflowers as points of interest along the inside of the fence next to the public sidewalk.  So, of course, they won't grow. Razz

Absolutely Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers - Page 3 671790
Laughing

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 9/7/2016, 7:23 pm

I grew sunflowers this year. The birds left the seedlings alone. The cardboard tubes stopped the cutworms. The slugs thinned them to one plant per square.  I watered them when the sky didn't. The bees pollinated them. The butterflies visited. The fence kept out the squirrels, and prevented the chipmunks from being a problem. I covered one of the Mammoth flower heads with cheesecloth after it started drooping - left the other, and the other 4 smaller sunflowers, for the birds. The cardinals were getting very bold with the remaining head I'd designated for them, so I harvested 'my' sunflower head and brought it into the garage to remove the seeds. I felt like I did everything right. Cool

Nope. Apparently not. Eew. Mad Lots of little brown caterpillars in the head, seeds with holes in them, and maggots in the stem and fleshy part of the head. No  I checked the sunflower posts and found posts about larvae in the stems, but no mention of little brown caterpillars in the seeds. Not sure what, if anything, I was supposed to do to prevent this. Yuck. The birds may think the caterpillars are a juicy garnish, but not me! I don't think I'll grow these in the garden again.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/7/2016, 9:33 pm

I'm so sorry all your work didn't pan out (except for the maggots). I need to check one of the 5 remaining heads to see if there are any surprises. I probably won't grow them next year either.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 9/8/2016, 5:44 pm

I'd be more disappointed if they were one of the plants I started back in February or March. Mostly it's that I wasn't expecting something to go wrong this close to the finish line. I didn't do as much research on growing sunflowers as I did with some of my other plants. None of the "how to harvest" sites I'd skimmed had mentioned a "remove the caterpillars" step.

I guess the silver lining is that it frees up 6 squares for next year. The sour grapes phrase here is  "Well, they're allelopathic anyhow!" Two squares will go to Mexican sunflowers. Two to some other sort of flower. And two for vegetables - maybe another square of favas, and I can try this weird but pleasantly fascinating "Ice Lettuce" stuff again.

Maybe the Birds and Bees sunflowers will tolerate growing behind the short juniper bushes in the front landscape bed.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/8/2016, 6:31 pm

I grow them for the birds, bees and butterflies.  I started 20 plants; 2 of each, 10 different types, back in the early spring inside because my direct seeded never make it past "Hey, someone left a sunflower seed buried here for me to eat!" stage!  

I put 2 out back by the pool area, they did great (soil heavily amended by dogs).  The remaining out front in the hard pan clay were stunted and small, short plants, small flowers.  Bummer.  But the birds, bees and butterflies still like them!  The 2 out back got knocked over by storms while we were on vacation, and you know how plants kinda try to stand back up, kinda did!  The squirrels have discovered the ones laying on the patio, but that's OK too.  

Hmmm, little worms in there.  Wonder what, and when those got in there?

Still a bummer.  No

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 9/8/2016, 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : auto In Correct.)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue 9/9/2016, 8:55 am

I love sunflowers...especially for dessert! tongue

Friday Rookie Topic: Sunflowers - Page 3 Sunflo10

https://www.tastemade.com/videos/sunflower-cupcakes
Save

Save
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next