Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Thinking ahead to the fall planting season already? Toplef10Thinking ahead to the fall planting season already? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Thinking ahead to the fall planting season already? I22gcj10Thinking ahead to the fall planting season already? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Thinking ahead to the fall planting season already? Toplef10Thinking ahead to the fall planting season already? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Thinking ahead to the fall planting season already? I22gcj10Thinking ahead to the fall planting season already? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Thinking ahead to the fall planting season already?

+7
yolos
camprn
rowena___.
TN_GARDENER
Squat_Johnson
Yardtigress
kgooding
11 posters

Go down

Thinking ahead to the fall planting season already? Empty Thinking ahead to the fall planting season already?

Post  kgooding 5/30/2012, 10:36 am

Okay. So I like to super plan things in advance and make sure I'm doing my seed starts and what not at the right time, and as a new gardener I already have a brief question about how things are going to go!

First off, I've read that in GA I should plant potatoes for a fall crop around July 15 and no later than August 15th. This is actually about perfect since I'm expecting my current potatoes to finish up around June 27th (Yukon Golds.) My question is if I can use some of my Yukon golds that I harvest as seed potatoes? I'm guessing I can, but everything I've read says to use "last years" potatoes as seed potatoes and I will have just harvested them! Of course I would sprout them a bit indoors and cut them into seed potatoes, but will there be a problem with using that fresh of a potato?
kgooding
kgooding

Female Posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Thinking ahead to the fall planting season already? Empty What else

Post  Yardtigress 5/30/2012, 4:54 pm

What else are you looking to plant for fall. I already have my yukon golds and sweet potatoes planted and my carrots(they take a long time). I am in GA too, and new to SFG. I haven't given much thought to fall plants?
Yardtigress
Yardtigress

Back to top Go down

Thinking ahead to the fall planting season already? Empty Re: Thinking ahead to the fall planting season already?

Post  Squat_Johnson 5/30/2012, 5:27 pm

Potatoes will need a period of cold storage before they will sprout.
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Thinking ahead to the fall planting season already? Empty Re: Thinking ahead to the fall planting season already?

Post  TN_GARDENER 5/30/2012, 8:25 pm

Squat_Johnson wrote:Potatoes will need a period of cold storage before they will sprout.

I wonder if it'd help to wrap a few in newspaper and stick in the fridge for a few weeks?
TN_GARDENER

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. 5/30/2012, 9:13 pm

i don't put mine thru cold storage, i just let the sprout as they will.
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/30/2012, 9:24 pm

Squat_Johnson wrote:Potatoes will need a period of cold storage before they will sprout.
+1
Here is a good read about using seed potatoes and things you will need to know and consider.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Thinking ahead to the fall planting season already? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/30/2012, 9:56 pm

For those of you in Georgia, the Univ of Ga has great planting guides. The following is the one I like the best. Make sure you read the last few lines of the explanation because they distinguish between uppper, middle and lower Georgia.

http://www.caes.uga.edu/applications/publications/files/html/B577/B577PlantingChart.pdf
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  kgooding 5/31/2012, 8:24 am

Thanks for all the great responses! The link on the planting dates is fantastic, and actually a bit off from what I've been doing using my frost free date and the guidelines from the book, but I'm thinking UGA probably has it best for our region! I've already bookmarked the link and printed it out for further study, and I'm thinking I might need to have it laminated! As for the issue of the potatoes I think maybe I'll do a little experiment and get some seed potatoes and use some of the potatoes I just harvested and see what happens!
kgooding
kgooding

Female Posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 5/31/2012, 8:57 am

yolos wrote:For those of you in Georgia, the Univ of Ga has great planting guides. The following is the one I like the best. Make sure you read the last few lines of the explanation because they distinguish between uppper, middle and lower Georgia.

http://www.caes.uga.edu/applications/publications/files/html/B577/B577PlantingChart.pdf

Do you know if other state universities have that kind of info?
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  TN_GARDENER 5/31/2012, 9:42 am

herblover wrote:
yolos wrote:For those of you in Georgia, the Univ of Ga has great planting guides. The following is the one I like the best. Make sure you read the last few lines of the explanation because they distinguish between uppper, middle and lower Georgia.

I know University of Tennessee does (i'm sure there are others, too). Check with the agriculture extension office/website.

https://utextension.tennessee.edu/publications/Documents/PB901.pdf
TN_GARDENER

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/31/2012, 9:50 am

All states have a state agricultural university. NC State is the one in NC and I think VA Tech is the VA one.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  marietta mike 6/15/2012, 3:10 am

Thanks all for the great info.
marietta mike
marietta mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual 6/15/2012, 8:35 am

herblover wrote:

All land grant universities have that information(1 in each state, usually the state university). Sometimes that information is difficult to find, but your cooperative extension agent(AgCenter agent) should be in the phone book. Call your agent, that's what (s)he's there for.

As far as cold storage goes...unless the grocery store cold stores their potatoes and unless the garden stores cold store theirs, I have never cold stored any potato before planting...come to think on it, I didn't do it for the daffodils either and they popped up just fine too. Maybe I'll try putting seed potato in the fridge next year to see if it makes a difference..well half of them at least...have to have a control group!
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down