Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Excited!! (and a little unsure) Toplef10Excited!! (and a little unsure) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Excited!! (and a little unsure) I22gcj10Excited!! (and a little unsure) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Excited!! (and a little unsure) Toplef10Excited!! (and a little unsure) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Excited!! (and a little unsure) I22gcj10Excited!! (and a little unsure) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Excited!! (and a little unsure)

4 posters

Go down

Excited!! (and a little unsure) Empty Excited!! (and a little unsure)

Post  Lyveno 4/10/2010, 12:12 am

Well, I picked up peat moss, composted cow manure and some composted humus today at Lowe's. I had a really hard time finding the other 3 types of compost and the course vermiculite. My local farmer's co-op was sold out, and only had the fine. After doing some research online, I found Fox Farm Planting Mix. It has earthworm castings, bat guano, Norwegian kelp meal, composted forest humus, and sphagnum peat moss, so I thought that would probably work. It was a 1 cu ft bag, so I also got some "Chickity Doo Doo", a pack of 4 different types of bat guano, and a few 1 lb bags of earthworm castings to add

I plan on making my mix tomorrow. The compost I got at Lowe's were in 1 cu ft bags, and with the planting mix, I have the 3 cu ft that is required, and more than 5 types of compost, if I add some of the chicken manure. But the question I have is how much should I add, and do you think it's really necessary?

Thanks for the advice!
Lyveno

Female Posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Excited!! (and a little unsure) Empty Re: Excited!! (and a little unsure)

Post  timwardell 4/10/2010, 8:55 am

Lyveno,
Sounds like you've got your bases more than covered on the compost. Mel's Mix is (as you probably know) is 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 vermiculite, & 1/3 blended compost. Blended being the operative word. What I did was dump a bucket of each type of compost I had onto a tarp (a large bin, tub, bucket, or wheel barrow will work as well) and mix (blended) the different compost together before adding the peat and vermiculite. If you find that you have more compost than peat or vermiculite set some blended compost aside using the empty bags. You can use this to replenish the nutrients in your SFG when you harvest your squares. What I did was turned my empty bags inside out and used a sharpie to mark them as "blended compost". - From everyone's experience here on the forum Mel's Mix works best when it's made "by the book" with all three ingredients mixed in equal parts by volume.
Hope this helps. Good luck with your SFG! Very Happy
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  Momma Pajama 4/10/2010, 9:01 am

Lay out a big tarp and start by dumping on SOME of each compost/manure in a pile (sounds like you'll have leftovers). Then make a pile of peat (it expands to double what is in the bag), and a pile of vermiculite. It's better to mix up a smaller batch of Mel's Mix than to throw out your batch doing all of it at once! It is really easy to mix if you use the tarp method described in the book and have someone to help you pull the tarp corners.

I think that using a variety of manures and compost is to your advantage. The peat and vermiculite in the Mix have NO NUTRIENTS. They are for drainage and texture in the soil, so that your soil is light and not compacted. The manure/peat is what your veggies will be living off of, so the more variety the better they'll be "eating" all season.

I can't find many types of manure available around here yet so far in early spring. For my new beds I am using steer manure plus homemade organic veggie compost (I get produce aisle "garbage" from a local organic health food store) and rabbit manure (from my bunny).

Keep us posted! I'd love to see pics later!

P.S. Good idea on saving the leftovers, timwardell!
Momma Pajama
Momma Pajama

Female Posts : 58

http://momma-pajama.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyveno 4/10/2010, 11:01 am

Thanks for the advice! I was worried that I had gone a little overboard. I didn't even think about saving some. What a great idea! I will definitely try mixing in small batches too--I will probably recruit my boys to help me. Thanks again.
Lyveno

Female Posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  Momma Pajama 4/10/2010, 12:23 pm

Ha! I've got a couple of boys too - eating machines! Make them EARN a little of their food!!
Momma Pajama
Momma Pajama

Female Posts : 58

http://momma-pajama.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kabaju42 4/10/2010, 4:35 pm

Lyveno wrote:Thanks for the advice! I was worried that I had gone a little overboard. I didn't even think about saving some. What a great idea! I will definitely try mixing in small batches too--I will probably recruit my boys to help me. Thanks again.

Overboard, nah that couldn't happen. Excited!! (and a little unsure) Icon_lol

Get the boys to help for sure, it builds character after all. Also my sister found the best way to get her boys to eat their veggies, was when they helped grow them. Her boys are toddlers, so I don't know if it would work with older boys, but it's worth a try.
Kabaju42
Kabaju42

Male Posts : 249

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down