Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 3 Toplef10Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 3 I22gcj10Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 3 Toplef10Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 3 I22gcj10Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot!

+16
AvaDGardner
CindiLou
Glorious
malefacter
rod champion
rjeverett
tabletopper
plantoid
quiltbea
Goosegirl
GWN
Kelejan
rowena___.
Triciasgarden
walshevak
SwampCatNana
20 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 3 Empty Re: Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot!

Post  SwampCatNana 6/6/2012, 8:33 pm

I went by the gardens today and my plot has been tilled! It is so beautiful! I forgot to take a picture! LOL I'll take one tomorrow.
Have been searching for my 5 composts and I think I have them. I bought Chickity Poo today, also have cow manure. Found a place to get mushroom compost and worm castings but will have to read the labels first. Also came across lobster compost(Quoddy). So that will give me the 5. Each is enough for more than 1 bed.
Still need to find our how to build up the rocks for a rock garden. SEE MY POST RE THIS IN NON-SFG FORUM.

On my way home I came across a chest of drawers at the curb and it looks great. Carted the drawers home with my scooter "trailer", 2 trips. Then I took my ladder, which is also a hand cart, and used that to carry the body of the chest home. Had a hxxl of a time getting it in the back door!
I would like to use the drawers for planting boxes as I found out the slides for the drawers were mostly broken. So I will use the chest body as a shelved storage piece(will make the shelves and fit them in) for my crafting.
I have 4 half drawers and 4 full drawers so could make some nice arrangements.
Enough for now. I'm exhausted! Time to get some food and relax. Busy day tomorrow. Getting stuff from Lowe's and going up to garden to start laying cardboard, newspaper, and weed cloth. Bought enough weed cloth to cover the entire plot for only $11.00.
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Female Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 3 Empty Re: Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot!

Post  AvaDGardner 6/7/2012, 2:57 am

Congrats on getting it tilled!

I've read the thread...why would you put newspapers on top of cardboard? What do the newspapers do?

The inspectors...yes, you pretty much detailed what they are looking for. If you read the paperwork you received with the plot, you'll know exactly what they want. Plots have to be clear of weeds...in ours you can be fined another years fine for not keeping your plot cleared. We have about 12% that are not cleared, and I hear all are rented. Other growing rules we have are no trees, no tall structures (to avoid casting shadows on another plot), no growing on the fence and no growing of drugs, and keeping the weeds cleared around your plot.

Screening...we screened our plot, and removed about 50 lbs of rocks. Surprising, as the dirt was dark, loamy, and pretty free of weeds. (I also inherited strawberry plants.) We tried a variety of things, but what worked best was the front and back of old fans! You can see photos of the process in my signature link.

It will be great to watch your progress!

Ava
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 6/7/2012, 3:50 pm

I've read the thread...why would you put newspapers on top of cardboard? What do the newspapers do?
Everyone seems to think this is what to do. I guess b/c the newspaper composts faster than the cardboard.
Other growing rules we have are no trees, no tall structures (to avoid casting shadows on another plot), no growing on the fence and no growing of drugs, and keeping the weeds cleared around your plot.
We can plant trees but they have to be dwarf. A couple of people have grapevines but they are kept small and well trimmed. No large structures(5-6' tops); nothing must obstruct the view into the gardens. All must be seen.
Screening...we screened our plot, and removed about 50 lbs of rocks. Surprising, as the dirt was dark, loamy, and pretty free of weeds. (I also inherited strawberry plants.) We tried a variety of things, but what worked best was the front and back of old fans!
Again, nobody seemed to think this was necessary if you're doing SFG.
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 6/8/2012, 6:14 am

For not having a car you accomplish super human feats! Your plot is
sounding so exciting! I bet your garden neighbors are so relieved to
have you there making that area a showcase! Love the idea of Portulaca Grandiflora. I have always loved them and have intended on planting them but forget or get tied up with other things, or both! The lavender flowers are beautiful also and I will have to do some reading up on them!

I would go with the ventilated chair, who wants to sweat while you are watching your garden grow and the others are sweating with their row gardens.

I like the idea of using the hot water and vinegar for weeds and will have to try it. I have used straight store white vinegar and it seems to work. Just used it recently.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 6/8/2012, 11:24 am

Tricia - glad to hear plain vinegar helps. Hard to get hot water at the garden site!
I've found the the purple flower, Mazus replans, is a water hungry plant. Had it on a north window. When I got it it was soaking wet, and in 2 days it started to wilt. I thought I would have to bring it back but watered it first in the bathroom sink. Perked right up. Have found it really needs a very wet area so will plant it in its own container to help it stay wet.
My plot has very good drainage. With all the rain we've had over the last week, it is not muddy at all! Plus I am at the top of the up-hill side of the gardens! Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 3 370856013
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 6/8/2012, 6:59 pm

Went up to the plot today and forgot to take a pic of it tilled! DUH!
I was able to spread a 12x16 tarp over most of the plot to cut the weed growth until I can get it all covered with cardboard and weed cloth.
I also had "fun". Moved an 18" square concrete slab about 10 feet, and positioned it to hold some potted plants. Bought a level to make sure it is flat, not tilted. Took some doing but finally got it! The slab was so it's heavy!
Then the thunderstorm rolled in! I had a 12 minute ride in pouring rain, lightening, and thunder. I admit I was a bit afraid b/c the lightening was VERY close. Then I remembered - rubber tires = safe! Thank goodness I had one of those big yellow rain ponchos. Covered me and my scooter!
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 6/10/2012, 9:13 pm

Went to the garden on Saturday for a couple hours. Got a pic of the plot with the tarp on it.
Didn't get too much done as it was very hot. I did start to try leveling the area and removing all the weeds turned under by the tilling.
I swear there are gremlins that come in the night and plant rocks! I found that New England farmers have this problem all the time. It seems the underlying rock structure fractures and spits out pieces that rise to the surface. Wink Wink
Today I went to BJs for groceries and found some tomato plants - 3 for $12.99! Couldn't believe how lucky I was! I bought 2 Brandywine reds, 2 Fourth of July, 1 Jet Star, and 1 Pink Lady. Looked them up when I got home and they are all indeterminates! Fine with me.
Then went hunting for a hand weeder. Finally found one at a hardware store for only $5.00.
Will head to the garden tomorrow morning(to beat the heat!) and do more leveling, plants some flowers, and see about re-positioning the cement slab for plant pots.
It's coming together, lowly but surely.
Trying to stay healthy and injury free so I don't do too much at one time.
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/10/2012, 9:20 pm

SwampCatNana wrote: Trying to stay healthy and injury free so I don't do too much at one time.
Lee

Hear, hear!!! Illness and injury recovery not only stink, they rob us of precious gardening time! I have so many snaps, crackles, & pops that I finally decided this year to try to pace myself. Amazing, but I have gotten more done in the last month working sitting down or 15 minutes at a time than I did all last season.

Take it slow, it will get there faster if you stay healthy - I know!

GG

Last edited by Goosegirl on 6/10/2012, 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 6/10/2012, 10:23 pm

Goosegirl wrote:
SwampCatNana wrote: Trying to stay healthy and injury free so I don't do too much at one time.
Lee

Hear, hear!!! Illness and injury recovery not only stink, they rob us of precious gardening time! I have so many snaps, crackles, & pops that I finally decided this year to try to pace myself. Amazing, but I have gotten more done in the last month working sitting down or 15 minutes at a time than I did all last season.

Take it slow, it will get there faster if you stay healthy - I know!

GG

thanks GG. Great advice.
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 6/15/2012, 8:47 pm

Just spent 4 1/2 hours at the garden. I finished the back border of bricks, moved the tarp cross-wise, dug weeds from tilled soil, banked the cement slab with large-ish rocks, and watered the potted plants on the slab.
It may not sound like much but I have to work in 20 minute segments with a 10 minute rest. Plus, I'm a bit anal when it comes to all the rocks/stones in the soil and the dead weeds! Have to get them ALL out! Wink
Just did a general clean up of the plot and found it is actually 15 x 20! The soil is really quite good and loaded with earth worms. However, I don't like the idea of having to weed constantly.
AND, as usual, I forgot to take pics! Tomorrow morning I will take them first thing, then take them again when I finish for the day.
I want to start putting mulch on the areas I've finished for now. Which means I have to go all the way around the gardens just to get to the mulch pile! My plot is diagonally at the other end of the area. I am the person farthest from the mulch and compost. Though I'm not sure I would want to use their mulch. I've seen what goes into it.
Ta Ta until tomorrow.
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/15/2012, 9:01 pm

Just spent 4 1/2 hours at the garden. I finished the back border of bricks, moved the tarp cross-wise, dug weeds from tilled soil, banked the cement slab with large-ish rocks, and watered the potted plants on the slab.
It may not sound like much but I have to work in 20 minute segments with a 10 minute rest. Plus, I'm a bit anal when it comes to all the rocks/stones in the soil and the dead weeds! Have to get them ALL out!
Just did a general clean up of the plot and found it is actually 15 x 20! The soil is really quite good and loaded with earth worms. However, I don't like the idea of having to weed constantly.
AND, as usual, I forgot to take pics! Tomorrow morning I will take them first thing, then take them again when I finish for the day.
I want to start putting mulch on the areas I've finished for now. Which means I have to go all the way around the gardens just to get to the mulch pile! My plot is diagonally at the other end of the area. I am the person farthest from the mulch and compost. Though I'm not sure I would want to use their mulch. I've seen what goes into it.
Ta Ta until tomorrow.
SOUNDS LIKE a VERY hard day, especially the parts about moving all those rocks, glad you are resting, LOOKING forward to seeing your before pictures and then, your after pictures
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 6/18/2012, 10:58 pm

I just took a pic of my seedlings and I'm worried. They grew so fast I'm not sure what to do.
Here are 3 views:
This was taken this morning about 8am.
Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 3 Dscf3213
This one was taken about 3pm.
Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 3 Dscf3214
This one was taken about 9:30pm.
Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 3 Dscf3215
In the last pic above, the front row is sugar snap peas, the next row is Kentucky Wonder green beans in the left 2 cells, the right 2 cells are zucchini. The zucchini were to last to germinate and as slow going.
The 3rd row is Kentucky WOnder beans in the right 2 cells and the skinny group on the left is iceberg lettuce.
The last row is all yellow (wax) beans.
I don't have grow lights or any kind of setup so I think they just grew toward any light available.
Is any of this salvageable?
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/19/2012, 12:47 am

You have given the answer, SwampCat. More and stronger light required. I'm sure someone elso will be able to tell you how to salvage the seedlings (without killing them).
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicola 6/22/2012, 12:49 pm

I am loving reading your posts, SwampCatMama! I'm not sure I could keep up with you, all that digging and leveling and weeding and de-rocking (by the way, I wish I could remember the exact phrasing, but I read a quote once about how we New England gardeners' best crop is rocks! I agree,and think that's why this area is known for those old stone walls--what else could they have done with 'em all? Laughing )
You have my vote for the larger seat, ventilated back chair. And for including Portulaca and Hens & Chicks in your rock garden--those are two plants we had in the rock garden I helped my dad plant when I was a kid. I remembered collecting tiny black seeds from the pointy center that's left when each flower dies and dries out, and dropping them back around the rock garden. We never had to buy any more plants, even though this is an annual. After I rediscovered portulaca as an adult gardener, I got right back to it. (Nowadays we call it Seed-saving-- we didn't have a name for it then, but I guess that's what it was.)
It's been awhile since you posted. You didn't wear yourself out too much on the 15th, did you? I know your inspection is tomorrow, so I'm guessing you are busy with planting and making everything look pretty.Those seedlings in your last post look like they want to hurry up & get out into the big city garden! Where are the pictures that you did get,after you said you forgot a couple of times? I'm prob'ly not the only one eager to see the in-between shots, before you start posting all that is growing.
Nicola
Nicola

Female Posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  CharlesB 6/22/2012, 3:39 pm

SwampCatNana wrote:
Is any of this salvageable?

Stick the whole tray outside in full shade. The strong will survive.

Everything you planted in that tray I direct sow (for a reason). Except the lettuce, that is fine to prick out. The other stuff has big seeds with lots of energy in them for the seedling to let loose with.
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 6/22/2012, 9:19 pm

Charles - I am going to put the plants out in my plot as soon as it stops raining. Will then plant all seeds outdoors.
I have a few more photos, nothing spectacular just new views. It has been in the high 80s and 90s this week and now it is raining. Haven't been in the garden since Tuesday, the 19th.
Have been clearing the dirt after the tilling and laying down weed blocker cloth. It is difficult and goes slowly but it will get done.
I wish I had been given this plot early in the season than May 28th! Everyone is starting to harvest and I haven't even been able to get my first box down! This weekend will be more soil clearing and weed blocker cloth put down.
Next weekend I will be getting another box and fulling both with Mel's Mix! I also have some drawers I found and will be planting.
So much to do, so little time and, definitely, limited energy!

This is what the plot looked like 3 weeks ago......
View 1 is before the weeds were cut:Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 3 Dscf3120
View 2 is after the weeds were cut but before the tilling:
Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 3 Dscf3119

This is what it looks like as of Tues the 19th..... That tarp is 12 x 16, plot is about 16 x 22.....
Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 3 Dscf3216

This is the potted plant corner. The tomatoes are 2 brandy wine Red, 2 Fourth of July, 1 Jet Star, and 1 Pink Lady.
Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 3 Dscf3217

This is my compost corner with a chimney flu waiting for my peony plant, and part of the beginning of the rock garden. Need more large stones.
Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 3 Dscf3218

Will have more pics after this weekend.
Hope it's good gardening weather where you all are!
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  CharlesB 6/22/2012, 9:24 pm

Good luck. Looks like you'll be busy!
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 6/22/2012, 11:03 pm

SwampCatMama I reread your journey from the beginning and it is so inspirational! You have accomplished a lot in the short time you have had that huge plot! Especially with your limited transportation, having to pace yourself and the rain! I gasped when I read you were on your motorized chair in the thunder storm! Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 3 998388915 You working on your plot!

I love all the posts everyone has written with suggestions and advice! I learn so much this way! Also sometimes I forget how to do something and these posts refresh my memory. Very Happy

I am so wanting the portulaca in my front yard, they just seem festive for some reason! I especially like that they are good with less water, we need that here! Boy your beans are growing fast, it makes you feel like you can grow anything when you have plants like that. Then you can forget about the things that don't make it and just replant!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/23/2012, 9:14 am

It's the 23rd! Is the inspection today?

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 6/23/2012, 9:50 am

I just read through from start to finish... affraid The powers that be should have PAID YOU to take on that plot !! Its a wonderful space but hardly fair to expect you to make it a showcase in such a short period of time !! You have put in a tremendous amount of effort and it really shows, looking great cheers I think they should give you an award !! cheers
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 6/23/2012, 2:42 pm

Thank you Tricia, GG, and Celeste. You are very encouraging! I'm loving all of this and will just go at my own pace.
Yes, today is the "inspection" day which is actually a garden tour. However, it is also the day for my mammogram. It was scheduled 2 months in advance so had to go. Just got back and will try to get to the garden later this afternoon.
You're right about the wonderful advice and suggestions given here. I don't think I could have done as much without everyone's help. THAT is why I love this site!
I can imagine all the work I would have had if I had decided to go "rowing"! cheers
I'm hoping next weekend will show an even bigger improvement.
Lee 🐱

PS not sure if I included a pic of my Red Rider II, so her is one: Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 3 Dscf3219

Here is my Red Rider II: Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 3 Victor11

And here is a pic of the "trailer": Need tips on how to prepare and overgrown plot! - Page 3 Dscf3016
It has a shelf under the "basket", a large sealable pocket on the back of the basket, and the flowered "cup at the bottom right is to hold one end of an umbrella! The black strap hanging above near the red thingy is a strap to hold the top part of the umbrella.
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/23/2012, 3:03 pm

Love the Red Rider! I can just picture it loaded down with the drawers you found a few weeks ago!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 6/23/2012, 3:33 pm

Goosegirl wrote:Love the Red Rider! I can just picture it loaded down with the drawers you found a few weeks ago!

GG
Yeah, for that I used a ladder that can be used as a hand cart instead of my trailer. Those drawers are going to make great planters for my melons and squash.
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 6/24/2012, 11:42 am

Does anyone know how to cut a chimney flu? I want it ti be 1/3 and 2/3 pieces.
If you look at my pics you will see it at the back of my plot. It is tall and rectangular, and looks like it's made of clay.
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/24/2012, 12:23 pm

An old timer might be able to score and snap it. For the rest of us, a masonry blade in a circular saw will do the trick. Take precautions for excessive dust.

I wish I had half your energy!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next