Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What do you do with egg shells - Page 2 Toplef10What do you do with egg shells - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What do you do with egg shells - Page 2 I22gcj10What do you do with egg shells - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What do you do with egg shells - Page 2 Toplef10What do you do with egg shells - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What do you do with egg shells - Page 2 I22gcj10What do you do with egg shells - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What do you do with egg shells

+19
bnoles
audrey.jeanne
CindiLou
RoOsTeR
Lillyz
Nonna.PapaVino
Kelejan
JonFrum
happycamper
enfuegoinc
GWN
rowena___.
walshevak
herblover
rjeverett
Nicola
llama momma
camprn
Debora Cadene
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What do you do with egg shells - Page 2 Empty Re: What do you do with egg shells

Post  JonFrum 6/3/2012, 10:56 pm

Egg shells are not a solution for blossom end rot. Blossom end rot occurs when the plant is in a high transpiration condition. That's like sweating for us. Water is drawn up from the roots, and then evaporates from the leaves through tiny holes. When too much water is drawn through the leaves from the rest of the plant, calcium goes with it. Thus, the fruit don't get the necessary calcium and BER occurs. So BER is not a lack of calcium in the soil, it's the mis-allocation of calcium within the plant.

I do run eggshells through the blender, and then either add them to the compost pile or just sprinkle them in the gardens. But dolomite lime also provides plenty of calcium as well. With my acidic soil, it's a good idea to add lime for many crops, and it supplies both calcium and magnesium as well.
JonFrum
JonFrum

Back to top Go down

What do you do with egg shells - Page 2 Empty Re: What do you do with egg shells

Post  camprn 6/3/2012, 11:04 pm

Thanks for the info Jon, and What do you do with egg shells - Page 2 396615 to the forum.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

What do you do with egg shells - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/4/2012, 12:27 pm

Welcome JonFrum, and thanks for your knowledegeable posting. What do you do with egg shells - Page 2 61949
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

What do you do with egg shells - Page 2 Empty egg shells for garden calcium

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 3/30/2013, 11:39 pm

Our local paper suggests: After cracking a couple of eggs, rinse out the eggshells and microwave them on a paper towel or microwave-safe plate for about 3 minutes. This will not only sterilize the shells, but will make them very dry and easy to pulverize. (Think I'd use a rolling pin instead of my hands, though.) The powdered shells make great fertilizer for roses, rhododendrons, hydranges and, of course, tomatoes.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

What do you do with egg shells - Page 2 Empty RE: Oyster shells

Post  Lillyz 3/31/2013, 4:44 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:Our local paper suggests: After cracking a couple of eggs, rinse out the eggshells and microwave them on a paper towel or microwave-safe plate for about 3 minutes. This will not only sterilize the shells, but will make them very dry and easy to pulverize. (Think I'd use a rolling pin instead of my hands, though.) The powdered shells make great fertilizer for roses, rhododendrons, hydranges and, of course, tomatoes.

this might be a dumb question, but why do you sterilize the egg shells?
Lillyz
Lillyz

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/31/2013, 5:05 pm

Here is a good way to pulverize eggshells - put the shells in a used cereal bag liner from a cereal box and a rolling pin. The bag is tough enough to handle the rolling pin and shells, then use a twist tie to close it up or pour it into a plastic storage container.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

What do you do with egg shells - Page 2 Empty Egg shells

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 3/31/2013, 5:15 pm

Lillyz, My guess is to dry the shells thoroughly, and in the microwave process, becomes sterilized and less likely to eventually give off less-than-nice odors if you plan on collecting shells for, say, collecting over winter for spring supplements. Just guessing, since I didn't write the little paragraph I found in the newspaper, but I do like the quick way of thoroughly drying the shells. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 3/31/2013, 6:16 pm

We use an old electric coffee grinder to grind our egg shells. Most of our egg shells get thrown out right back to chickens to enjoy. The rest get ground up and added to compost.

Here is another idea for egg shells:
http://nourishedmagazine.com.au/blog/articles/how-to-make-calcium-using-egg-shells

What do you do with egg shells - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 4/1/2013, 12:55 am

I just rinse mine off and toss in the bin for the composter.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne 4/2/2013, 9:59 pm

I microwave my eggshells to kill any e-coli or other bad bacteria in case my compost piles don't heat up adequately. Just a precautionary measure I picked up from reading somewhere.

One of those quick steps that might not be necessary but aren't a big deal to do.
Audrey
audrey.jeanne
audrey.jeanne

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/3/2013, 5:55 am

I just pitch the shells into the compost container. They get crushed and decompose in the compost heap all on their own. Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

What do you do with egg shells - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 4/3/2013, 7:50 am

camprn wrote:I just pitch the shells into the compost container. They get crushed and decompose in the compost heap all on their own. Very Happy

+1
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/3/2013, 10:14 am

I crush mine by hand and put in a big cup. When the cup is full I put them in a tuff ziplock bag, take them outside, put the bag on the concrete driveway, and gently pound the heck out of them with a rubber mallet until they are very fine. I then put them in the freezer (just to get them out of the way of my grandson who wants to put them in the compost pile NOW) and wait till time to plant tomatoes. Then I put them in the bottom of the holes when I plant the tomatoes. But recently I think I read that they take so long to break down that the tomatoes will not benefit from them in the year they are planted.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 4/3/2013, 10:39 am

Peeled a bunch of hard-boiled eggs yesterday; most peeled well, but some retained a bit of egg white stuck to them. So, I microwaved the whole batch for 5 minutes. Amazing, how dry they came out and how easily they smashed up. Yolos, It appears to be true that egg shells take quite a while to break down, but those are mostly large shells found undecomposed in the compost. Smashed almost to a powder, though, I should think they'd break down pretty fast. My theory, anyway.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

What do you do with egg shells - Page 2 Empty Grind Egg Shells for Calcium?

Post  countrynaturals 6/11/2016, 11:36 pm

We have free range chickens. If I dried their egg shells, then put them through our coffee grinder, could I work them into my garden soil to add calcium? Is this worth doing? Are there any veggies that would NOT want the extra calcium? Would it be of immediate use to the plants or have to break down first?  geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/11/2016, 11:41 pm

GWN wrote:
I was having some blossom end rot on my peppers last year and just crushed up some eggshells and sprinkled them around the stems working them into the soil a bit, not sure if that was what did it, but the blossom end rot did improve.. This year I am attempting my own compost and have been throwing them in there, but may save some for the beds too if I find that it will be beneficial.

I have read where it is good to crush egg shells and apply it to  gardens, but that it DOES take awhile for it to break down in to a usable form of calcium for the plants, SO don't give up......
Well there ya go -- if I had done a search BEFORE posting, I wouldn't feel so stoopid right now.  Embarassed pale
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/11/2016, 11:43 pm

rowena___. wrote:you can also boil the egg shells first, with just a splash of vinegar in the water, which will bring out some of the calcium.  use this to water your plants for an immediate boost in calcium, then use the eggshells as amendments.
I LOVE THIS FORUM!  thanks carrot
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 6/12/2016, 5:10 am

I save all eggshells we use.
In planting season they are crushed by hand, then ground in a coffee grinder to a powdery consistency.
When planting tomato's and peppers, I'll make a 50 / 50 mix of these and epsom salts.
Then add 1 or 2 tablespoons to each planting hole, mixing well in the hole before planting.
I do this for no specific reason as it makes me feel good and I know it does not affect the rhizosphere in a negative way.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/12/2016, 10:38 am

I save my eggshells too. Crush 'em by hand and into the compost pile they go!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 6/12/2016, 4:20 pm

Two different uses for me.  From Jan-June they get crushed and added to the birdseed to provide extra calcium to the shells; July-Dec in the compost pile.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2