Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Suggestions for Veggies in 1/2 day Sun in NW? Toplef10Suggestions for Veggies in 1/2 day Sun in NW? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Suggestions for Veggies in 1/2 day Sun in NW? I22gcj10Suggestions for Veggies in 1/2 day Sun in NW? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Suggestions for Veggies in 1/2 day Sun in NW? Toplef10Suggestions for Veggies in 1/2 day Sun in NW? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Suggestions for Veggies in 1/2 day Sun in NW? I22gcj10Suggestions for Veggies in 1/2 day Sun in NW? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 6:59 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Suggestions for Veggies in 1/2 day Sun in NW?

5 posters

Go down

Suggestions for Veggies in 1/2 day Sun in NW? Empty Suggestions for Veggies in 1/2 day Sun in NW?

Post  Momma Pajama 4/9/2010, 10:18 pm

I am helping out some folks in Seattle with their SFG. They started it last year but need some advice on more successful veggies for their 1/2 day morning sun (No better light available). They did good with lettuce, green pole beans, cherry tomatoes, but bombed with late-season heirloom tomatoes, eggplant, and corn.

I am going to give them suggestions for crops and varieties and wondered if any of you NWers have any tips on short-season veggies that tolerate lower sun. I'm thinking early Russian and Czech tomatoes, super early corn???? Of course, lettuce, sugar snap peas, spinach.
Momma Pajama
Momma Pajama

Female Posts : 58

http://momma-pajama.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for Veggies in 1/2 day Sun in NW? Empty Re: Suggestions for Veggies in 1/2 day Sun in NW?

Post  boffer 4/9/2010, 10:26 pm

You've hit all the obvious ones and have depleted my repertoire. Deb should have some ideas, having moved from the holler recently.

If they couldn't grow corn last year, don't waste the space on corn.

If you want to help me with my experiment..... I have a 4x6 box ready to be planted, that is intentionally sitting in the shade nearly all day. Just to see what stuff does. I was going to plant the obvious cool weather stuff, any ideas of plants I might try?
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for Veggies in 1/2 day Sun in NW? Empty Re: Suggestions for Veggies in 1/2 day Sun in NW?

Post  Lavender Debs 4/10/2010, 2:15 am

I had a short season but full light.

I have WAY too many Russian Black Plum tomato seedlings and a couple of extra Stupice. I would be glad to donate. From what I read, the Plum are not wonderful but are dependable. They are supposed to take 65 days in a good tomato area. They sure are strong seedlings.

Can friend grow pole or runner beans over a arbor to find more light?

I know cole crops seem to do well in short season (broccoli, cabbage, etc.)
Strawberries do ok, peas too. There is a small seed company on Lopez Island, they sell their seed at Mt Vernon Natural Foods Co-op. I have a broccoli from them that is said to be very short season as well as the Black Plum tomato. (Greenheart Gardens)

This is hard because low light isn't quite the same as short season. So many veggies need X number of light and heat hours to harvest. But this is exciting that she is ready to try. What a fun challenge to follow.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 4/10/2010, 9:43 am

Just wondering if the low-light problem is due to building walls blocking the sun. If it's possible, it may help to paint the walls white, to maximize the light that you have. I know this may not be the problem, or it may not be possible to paint existing walls, but it's a thought.
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Post  Momma Pajama 4/10/2010, 12:21 pm

Hi Wyldflower,
The north side of the bed is on a short picket fence shared with a neighbor. The shade is due to the house which is on the east side of the bed, is 2 stories tall, and is on a slope ABOVE the garden. So, no eliminating that barrier!

I am also thinking of suggesting an old mirror behind the garden. Has anyone tried that before? I've heard it can really help bump up the light levels in shadier situations.
Momma Pajama
Momma Pajama

Female Posts : 58

http://momma-pajama.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for Veggies in 1/2 day Sun in NW? Empty Plants for Shade

Post  ander217 4/10/2010, 4:06 pm

I have a copy of Rodale's pamphlet, "157 Perfect Plants for Shady Spots" from 1995. The number one rule they give is, "Shoots and roots, not fruits."

For example, lettuce and spinach will do well with 4 hours of sun a day, but tomatoes which need 8-10 hours will not. You can grow healthy-looking turnip greens and beet greens on 4 hours of sun a day, but turnips and beet roots need 6-8 hours. Some plants such as basil will grow in partial shade, but won't produce as many leaves as in full sun.

They suggest to look around you and see what is already growing well in shady areas. In my area, wild grapes grow up trees or under a shade canopy, even though grapes are not recommended for growing in the shade. Our black raspberries naturalized at the edge of our woods and those berries are better than the ones that grow along our fence in the sun. Ditto for wild blackberries - shade-grown ones here are larger and sweeter.

Parsley and chives grow fairly well in shade here, and I have mints running amok on the shady side of my house.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down