Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
in ground - SFG under ground instead of raised? Toplef10in ground - SFG under ground instead of raised? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

in ground - SFG under ground instead of raised? I22gcj10in ground - SFG under ground instead of raised? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
in ground - SFG under ground instead of raised? Toplef10in ground - SFG under ground instead of raised? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

in ground - SFG under ground instead of raised? I22gcj10in ground - SFG under ground instead of raised? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 12:13

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 14:20

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed 24 Apr 2024 - 16:08

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed 24 Apr 2024 - 9:13

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed 24 Apr 2024 - 5:16

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson Tue 23 Apr 2024 - 17:52

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Tue 23 Apr 2024 - 10:53

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon 22 Apr 2024 - 22:36

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon 22 Apr 2024 - 13:57

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon 22 Apr 2024 - 11:07

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon 22 Apr 2024 - 7:36

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun 21 Apr 2024 - 14:02

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth Sun 21 Apr 2024 - 5:00

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Sun 21 Apr 2024 - 3:56

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson Sat 20 Apr 2024 - 14:25

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Sat 20 Apr 2024 - 12:08

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Fri 19 Apr 2024 - 8:19

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Thu 18 Apr 2024 - 20:22

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 21:25

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 15:17

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 5:04

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 1:22

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 1:15

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 11:37

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 11:33

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 14:50

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 13:24

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 13:16

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed 10 Apr 2024 - 10:43

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 19:28

Google

Search SFG Forum

SFG under ground instead of raised?

+6
llama momma
sfg4uKim
jkahn2eb
camprn
cheyannarach
GWN
10 posters

Go down

in ground - SFG under ground instead of raised? Empty SFG under ground instead of raised?

Post  GWN Sun 20 May 2012 - 8:18

My husband has refused to make any more 4x4s until he has caught up with the irrigation. So I decided to make my own beds by digging down.
I dug down about 7-8 inches, put rocks all around, and then put down shredded paper as a weed blockin ground - SFG under ground instead of raised? Dsc_0255

Chewy likes to get in on the action.in ground - SFG under ground instead of raised? Dsc_0256
Shredded paper LOTS of water then stomp it down
in ground - SFG under ground instead of raised? Dsc_0257
Mels mix and lots more water..
in ground - SFG under ground instead of raised? Dsc_0258
and a bamboo stucture to keep chewy out of bed, cucumbers and presto my CUKE bed.....approx 15 square feet by 7 inches deep.in ground - SFG under ground instead of raised? Dsc_0259

GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

in ground - SFG under ground instead of raised? Empty Re: SFG under ground instead of raised?

Post  cheyannarach Sun 20 May 2012 - 8:26

Haha, that's a great idea when stuck with a stubborn hubby! It's like a mix of original SFG and ANSFG! Looks like you have been working hard!

I love your bamboo stucture!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

in ground - SFG under ground instead of raised? Empty Re: SFG under ground instead of raised?

Post  camprn Sun 20 May 2012 - 8:59

Fab, fab FABULOUS! What a Face

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

in ground - SFG under ground instead of raised? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  jkahn2eb Sun 20 May 2012 - 9:05

Any drainage issues? I have more in the desert as the ground has lots of clay. Curious about you
jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN Sun 20 May 2012 - 9:09

This area has gravel below, I seem to be able to water lots and lots without it puddling, so I guess that means it is good, perhaps I might have to wait awhile to know for sure.
Just did this this week
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim Sun 20 May 2012 - 9:47

One of my customers did this too only he dug down more than 12" and filled with mix. He's had great success with this and so did I since he bought the mix from me. Very Happy

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

in ground - SFG under ground instead of raised? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma Sun 20 May 2012 - 10:46

I've got giant pumpkin seed sprouts that I am transplanting into something very similar so when the season is over I could add Mel's mix back into a box that needs topping off. I didn't want to build a box just for giant pumpkin seeds with vines that will leap out of a box very quickly. Just using weed block in the hole to save as much mix as possible. Who knows I may save the hole and MM to use for other sprawling plants next year.

Last edited by llama momma on Sun 20 May 2012 - 10:47; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarify)
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan Sun 20 May 2012 - 17:16

I would think this would be excellent for drought conditions.
I just made a long heap of the partial compost for the winter squash.
I heard we are supposed to have a frost Wednesday. SO I am waiting till after to plant anything.

I love the trellis and helper Very Happy
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN Sun 20 May 2012 - 17:28

Perhaps this is just wishful thinking but I am thinking that the shredded paper (which in my compost was the hottest item in there) might also provide some heat as it breaks down.
I am thinking of digging a few more holes and putting straw down at the bottom.
I am thinking that this might be great way to grow the pumpkins as well Llama mom
Turan, I sure hope you do not have frost, we SEEM to be out of the woods here.

My "helper" just dug up one of my artichokes...... in ground - SFG under ground instead of raised? 950477
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer Sun 20 May 2012 - 23:54

GWN, good job! I have certainly considered putting an SFG in the ground rather than then going up. But then I always balk at the idea of my custom made Mel's Mix mingling with the native soil. I'm oddly protective of that stuff! I keep thinking plant roots will go down past the MM and so when I pull out a plant, it will pull native soil up through the MM and after a couple of seasons it will be all mixed together. I hadn't thought about just lining the pit with landscape fabric though. Hmmmmm...
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN Mon 21 May 2012 - 19:58

I actually do not see the difference with respects of mixing native soil, VS mels MIX
I am using shredded paper here, but just as easily could have used landscape fabric, both to separate the native soil from my MM.
I have not found landscape fabric to be superior to cardboard, and this is an experiment with a thick layer of shredded paper.
The way I see it, whether I create the barrier at ground level, OR 7 inches down, there still is a barrier between the MM and the native soil.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden Mon 21 May 2012 - 21:50

I have gone down also, but only some. The wood I bought for my frames was only eight inches high and I wanted to make sure I could plant anything in them so I dug down about four inches and laid down fabric weed block. I have been amending my garden soil for about 16 years and I didn't have enough money for just the Mel's mix exactly. My soil was quite good so I mixed my soil, compost, peat moss, well rotted manure and vermiculite together into the beds. In some of the beds they are not a full 12 inches full but as time goes on I have been adding more of everything except soil.

Love your ingenuity digging down and your bamboo protection! I have been trying for two years to get my son to build me two more boxes! He is getting married in August. I should hold our list for invitations ransom until he gets the boxes done for me, right!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps Mon 21 May 2012 - 22:34

This is a great idea for areas with good drainage! Folks with clay and/or silty soil wouldn't want to do this, but if you have gravelly and/or sandy soil I think it's an excellent idea. Wish I'd heard this idea earlier; with our sandy soil we could've planted more! What a Face
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down