Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Coffee grounds to deter bugs? - Page 2 Toplef10Coffee grounds to deter bugs? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Coffee grounds to deter bugs? - Page 2 I22gcj10Coffee grounds to deter bugs? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Coffee grounds to deter bugs? - Page 2 Toplef10Coffee grounds to deter bugs? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Coffee grounds to deter bugs? - Page 2 I22gcj10Coffee grounds to deter bugs? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Coffee grounds to deter bugs?

+15
michellentn
Coelli
walshevak
Kelejan
givvmistamps
claudiamedic
Dunkinjean
rschack
KDeus
GWN
llama momma
camprn
cheyannarach
floyd1440
BetsyC
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Coffee grounds to deter bugs? - Page 2 Empty Re: Coffee grounds to deter bugs?

Post  walshevak 5/17/2012, 1:13 pm

The only Starbucks in town that I know of. But I was getting for my son. I use the Starbucks in Chesapeake. VA and they not only have them in a bag alone (BUT NOT THE SILVER BAG) they even took the bag to the truck for me. Customer Service

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/17/2012, 1:41 pm

When I mentioned the arthritis in my hands, the employee hauled out 2 plastic double-bagged loads almost 40 pounds and put it in the trunk, sparing me much pain. cheers
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 5/17/2012, 8:28 pm

cheyannarach wrote:I own a coffee shop and save grounds for my friends and they always mold. If you set them out in the sunshine when it's nice and dry the mold will clear up in no time.

I will keep that in mind to to dry up my future coffee grounds. Also considered putting them on a pan and drying them in the oven but then the entire house might smell like a coffee shop.

May have to add a drive thru window...Shocked
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/17/2012, 10:01 pm

I get plastic bags full of coffee grounds (30-40#) I just split the bag and let it sit there airing out for a day then separate the grounds from the coffee filters.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Coffee grounds to deter bugs? - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/18/2012, 2:54 am

I called in at our local Starbucks and they are not allowed to give away their coffee grounds. It is because they are located in Safeway and it is Safeway's policy here in our town not to allow any recycled foodstuffs, whether veggies, fruits or coffee grounds.

Then I remembered a little independent coffee stand near our city hall, but they already had a regular customer who takes their spent grounds.

It looks as though I am out of luck in obtaining any regular supply. Sad

I am helping out at the Robson Firemen's breakfast next Sunday so I will be albe to save their grounds. It will not be much as they only do about 40 breakfasts, but it will be something as I will be prepared this time. Last time I helped I only realised that I could take them after they had already been placed in the garbage so I only got a few cupfuls. I will also be able to have their orange peels and eggshells.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  claudiamedic 5/18/2012, 11:47 am

Firefighters go through a lot of coffee. If there is a large station in your town (housing 10 or more on duty) they might be willing to save theirs for you....maybe give them a special trash can marked "Fire GROUNDS only!" (pun intended). If you agree to take them some sort of food every time you pick up grounds I KNOW they'll be willing. Nothing FF's like more than free food! Baked goods would be the best incentive.

And it would be a great way to develop a relationship with some people who serve your community every day! Coffee grounds to deter bugs? - Page 2 3170584802
claudiamedic
claudiamedic

Female Posts : 121

http://www.claudiasfamily.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/18/2012, 2:30 pm

claudiamedic wrote:Firefighters go through a lot of coffee. If there is a large station in your town (housing 10 or more on duty) they might be willing to save theirs for you....maybe give them a special trash can marked "Fire GROUNDS only!" (pun intended). If you agree to take them some sort of food every time you pick up grounds I KNOW they'll be willing. Nothing FF's like more than free food! Baked goods would be the best incentive.

And it would be a great way to develop a relationship with some people who serve your community every day! Coffee grounds to deter bugs? - Page 2 3170584802

Thanks for the tip,claudia. I have two firestations within a few minutes drive of me.Very Happy I will let you know the result.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 5/18/2012, 4:17 pm

Thanks for this thread! I'd been saving the coffee grounds at work (we go through about 2 pots a day) but didn't know that Starbucks will give them away. Earlier this week I called ahead and the girl who answered said they had some I could pick up on the way to work. She gave me about 1/4 of a trash bag's worth. Yay!

This morning I called again and a different guy said they didn't have many yet, but they would save them for me to pick up on my way home, and no one else really does it so I may have a monopoly on my local SB's grounds. Wink

I walked to lunch today and stopped in the SB that's on the way back and they gave me another bag of grounds, about 10-15# worth (wet). I didn't have my car keys on me and didn't want to bring them into the office, so I stopped by my car in the parking garage and stuck them under my front tire, out of sight. Laughing

At this rate I'll be able to mulch my entire yard with them.
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Post  claudiamedic 5/18/2012, 8:04 pm

You're lucky that the bomb squad didn't get called out for a suspicious package under your car! Coffee grounds to deter bugs? - Page 2 Object-emoticon-0034
claudiamedic
claudiamedic

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 5/18/2012, 8:43 pm

claudiamedic wrote:You're lucky that the bomb squad didn't get called out for a suspicious package under your car! Coffee grounds to deter bugs? - Page 2 Object-emoticon-0034

Haha omg, you're right - although if you look at the bag, it doesn't look like a bomb, it looks like a squishy bag of... well, let's just not go there. Razz
Coelli
Coelli

Back to top Go down

Post  michellentn 5/18/2012, 10:07 pm

that's cool that you asked and you received. has anyone had the nerve to ask for those green pickle buckets that fast food restaurants use? i would love to get a hold of some of them. still can't get the nerve to ask.
michellentn
michellentn

Female Posts : 57

Back to top Go down

Coffee grounds to deter bugs? - Page 2 Empty how much coffe grounds is "too much"?

Post  mlayser 5/18/2012, 10:27 pm

how much coffe grounds is "too much"?
mlayser
mlayser

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 5/19/2012, 8:43 pm

michellentn wrote:that's cool that you asked and you received. has anyone had the nerve to ask for those green pickle buckets that fast food restaurants use? i would love to get a hold of some of them. still can't get the nerve to ask.

Just blurt it out, the worst possible thing that could happen is they say no. I am 95% sure that they will say yes! That is a great idea!Very Happy
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 5/19/2012, 8:48 pm

mlayser wrote:how much coffe grounds is "too much"?

I am guessing you are inquiring about the ammount of grounds to put arounds, say a tomato plant.

Have never used them either as this is my first full season as a SFGer so am going to go with a handfull per plant once they start maturing as I just put them in this week.

Hopefully someone who has used thembefore can give us some experienced info; I definately could use some and it is ALWAYS welcome

Coffee grounds to deter bugs? - Page 2 3170584802
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  rschack 5/24/2012, 1:47 pm

I'd like to know some more info about how much to use also.
rschack
rschack

Female Posts : 37

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 5/24/2012, 4:34 pm

I just mulched one of my potted tomato plants this weekend as an experiment. I used about 1/2" of coffee grounds, maybe a little more. I still have a huge tub of used grounds (3 Starbucks' trips worth) but wanted to see how well they worked and how they behaved before doing any more.

What people say about the dry coffee grounds repelling water is absolutely true. The water will sit on top of the "crust." After a couple of minutes I made a space for the water to drain in.

The tomato plant still seems really happy. We'll see how it goes. Smile
Coelli
Coelli

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/24/2012, 7:55 pm

michellentn wrote:that's cool that you asked and you received. has anyone had the nerve to ask for those green pickle buckets that fast food restaurants use? i would love to get a hold of some of them. still can't get the nerve to ask.

Also ask at bakeries. Frosting comes in big white buckets. When my son worked at a bakery. he always had 5 gal white buckets around.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Coffee grounds to deter bugs? - Page 2 Empty Coffee grounds.

Post  songstriss 6/26/2012, 6:16 pm

Hi! Hope everyone's garden's are producing prolifically! I heard that coffee grounds are good for the garden. I have been putting it in my compost pile but can it be put around plants? Also, if you can use coffee grounds can you use left over coffee? bounce This is me after drinking too much coffee. lol
songstriss
songstriss

Female Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 6/26/2012, 9:10 pm

Songstress I worked with a lady who drank her coffee black and no sugar. When her coffee cooled and she didn't want to drink it anymore, she watered her desk plant with it all the time, so yes you can use the coffee as long as you don't have cream or sugar. Although I don't think the sugar would hurt a plant, it would just attract insects.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 6/27/2012, 8:58 am

Coffee grounds are good to sprinkle on top to deter snails/slugs.

Any acid loving plants will love them or the leftover coffee, tomatoes, potatoes, sw and irish, strawberries. And African Violets!

Sugar can be put on garden, but it will lock up the nitrogen to use, this would be good on weeds!

Jo

Last edited by littlejo on 6/27/2012, 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a plant!)
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 6/27/2012, 8:18 pm

littlejo wrote:Coffee grounds are good to sprinkle on top to deter snails/slugs.

Any acid loving plants will love them or the leftover coffee, tomatoes, potatoes, sw and irish, strawberries. And African Violets!

Sugar can be put on garden, but it will lock up the nitrogen to use, this would be good on weeds!

Jo

I put some around my tomatoes and they are doing quite well, but my cucumbers are not growing much at all. So are cucumbers a nitrogen loving plant?

Coffee grounds to deter bugs? - Page 2 3170584802
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 6/27/2012, 8:48 pm

Most plants in MM made with good compost don't require a lot of fertilizer, but heavy feeders will appreciate a boost. I've included a link, but acid loving plants are different and may or not be needing a boost. From experience, sw. potatoes love the acidity, but do not do good with added fertilizer. For added acid, coffee and/or grounds, chopped up pine needles, pine cones, or limbs(the green paarts) chopped up or used as mulch.

Heavy Feeders: celery, melons, tomatoes, corn, peppers, cucumbers, pumpkins, eggplant, squash

http://123foodgardening.blogspot.com/2010/06/feeding-heavy-feeders.html

Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  claudiamedic 6/28/2012, 11:30 am

littlejo wrote:Most plants in MM made with good compost don't require a lot of fertilizer, but heavy feeders will appreciate a boost. I've included a link, but acid loving plants are different and may or not be needing a boost. From experience, sw. potatoes love the acidity, but do not do good with added fertilizer. For added acid, coffee and/or grounds, chopped up pine needles, pine cones, or limbs(the green paarts) chopped up or used as mulch.

Heavy Feeders: celery, melons, tomatoes, corn, peppers, cucumbers, pumpkins, eggplant, squash

Jo

+1 Great tip! Thank you.
claudiamedic
claudiamedic

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 6/28/2012, 8:25 pm

littlejo wrote:Most plants in MM made with good compost don't require a lot of fertilizer, but heavy feeders will appreciate a boost. I've included a link, but acid loving plants are different and may or not be needing a boost. From experience, sw. potatoes love the acidity, but do not do good with added fertilizer. For added acid, coffee and/or grounds, chopped up pine needles, pine cones, or limbs(the green paarts) chopped up or used as mulch.

Jo

I checked the link and they are heavy feeders but it doesn't specify coffee grounds for cucumbersbut perhaps I am reading it wrong........

Last edited by camprn on 6/28/2012, 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed quote and post)
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/28/2012, 8:38 pm

Coffee grounds are useful for repelling such things as slugs, but i would not consider it a good top dressing to feeding plants immediately.There is a longer term benefit in that earth worms LOVE coffee grounds, so where the grounds are, the worms will follow, leaving nice rich cast filled soil. This take at least a year. What a Face

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Coffee grounds to deter bugs? - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next