Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from the Lower South regional host (long) Toplef10Hello from the Lower South regional host (long) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from the Lower South regional host (long) I22gcj10Hello from the Lower South regional host (long) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from the Lower South regional host (long) Toplef10Hello from the Lower South regional host (long) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from the Lower South regional host (long) I22gcj10Hello from the Lower South regional host (long) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from the Lower South regional host (long)

2 posters

Go down

Hello from the Lower South regional host (long) Empty Hello from the Lower South regional host (long)

Post  walshevak 5/12/2012, 2:17 pm

Hi everybody,

After being active on the forum since fall of 2010, I decided it was my turn to help out.

I live on the extreme northern edge of the lower south region. In fact, I am surrounded by the middle south which is only a few miles west of me. The Atlantic Ocean keeps a little spit of coastal NC and VA in the region. I will be depending on you posters further south to help me out with the distinctive problems you are having.

I have been around gardens all my life. My father started out as a farmer until he wised up following WWII and used the GI Bill to learn something else. But he still had to have his veggie garden. We gardened from Kansas City, MO to NC to No. VA. Sure wish I had paid more attention.

I became an active gardener during the 70's and 80's in Fairfax, VA. with a 12x15 backyard plot. Not even old style SFGing but it seems I was doing some of it anyway. Vermiculite and peat dug into that good old VA clay and planting in both rows and spots. Trellised cukes and tomatos up the fence and tucked transplants into odd corners. Then I started traveling with my job and had to stop gardening for a number of years. Did some flowers in Japan and a lot of flowers in England. Even managed some containers of tomatos and peppers in Chicago.

I retired in 2006 but continued to travel in 3 month intervals about twice a year until I moved to Elizabeth City in Jan 2010. I procrastinated on starting a veggie garden that year because I'm just not phisically able to to deal with digging and getting down on the ground. I tried to help my son set up gardens in Wilmington, NC so he could do the hard work, but it just didn't work because of the pure sand in his yard. Couldn't keep things watered enough.

THEN THE LIGHT DAWNED. I saw the ANSFG book at Lowes in the fall of 2010, joined the forum, learned about tabletops and have been off and running ever since. Ten 4x4 beds for a single person makes me a bit obsessive plus I added 4 raspberry plants and 3 grape vines this spring.

Even have my son successfully gardening now, and will be posting his efforts as I go along.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t5716-experiment-to-deal-with-pure-sand-and-high-water-bills

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Docwas likes this post

Back to top Go down

Hello from the Lower South regional host (long) Empty How are Things in Pasquotank County?

Post  rabbithutch 2/10/2014, 11:27 pm

Howdy, Kay!

Being a native Tar Heel (Raleigh) and about the 10th generation of them and having done my degree at UNC, I know a bit about the Old North State.  I didn't leave until after my 50th birthday.

Back in the early '60s I worked for the NC fire insurance rating bureau as a rating agent.  The city had engineered some upgrades in their water system and fire fighting equipment which brought them in to a new class with lower rates.  We had to inspect every commercial building and church in Pasquotank.  I spent about 6 weeks there.

I hope the weather gods have been kind to you.  I know from in-laws  living in Pine Knoll Shores and a sister in Morehead City that eastern NC has been getting an unusual amount of winter weather.  I hope the sound and the rivers keep you warm.
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Male Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Hello from the Lower South regional host (long) Empty Re: Hello from the Lower South regional host (long)

Post  walshevak 2/10/2014, 11:43 pm

Welcome to square foot gardening Rabbithutch.   I'm in the Philippine for the winter but my housesitters are telling me they have had some very cold and snowy weather mixed with some 60F.  I'm not sure, but I believe you are located in the lower south.  The line gets wobbly over Texas.  I'm not native to Pasquatank County, but I was born in NC.  Just spent more time in N. VA. until I retired. 

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Hello from the Lower South regional host (long) Empty Re: Hello from the Lower South regional host (long)

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down