Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New Raised Beds: Branching out big time/Need to learn sooo much Toplef10New Raised Beds: Branching out big time/Need to learn sooo much 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New Raised Beds: Branching out big time/Need to learn sooo much I22gcj10New Raised Beds: Branching out big time/Need to learn sooo much 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New Raised Beds: Branching out big time/Need to learn sooo much Toplef10New Raised Beds: Branching out big time/Need to learn sooo much 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New Raised Beds: Branching out big time/Need to learn sooo much I22gcj10New Raised Beds: Branching out big time/Need to learn sooo much 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Today at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

New Raised Beds: Branching out big time/Need to learn sooo much

5 posters

Go down

New Raised Beds: Branching out big time/Need to learn sooo much Empty New Raised Beds: Branching out big time/Need to learn sooo much

Post  SherryM 5/8/2012, 2:40 pm

I have a new garden design which allows me to garden more than just tomatoes and herbs. I need all the advice I can get!

I have three large trapezoid raised beds situated around a center pentagon with one layer and another layer which is also a pentagon centered in it. I also have one bed off to the side with 3 raspberry plants and a plan to dig into the ground around the back corner(not in a bed) for zucchini, cucumber (trellised) and patty pan squash.

I am using the square foot method but an confused by some conflicting information about how much to plant initially. I think that this is because in some cases in early May I will be starting with seed and thinning and in other cases starting with tiny plants. So would like some clarification of how much in each square...some I got from the book mentioned on this site. I also am unsure of yields.

Each word below represents a square foot and the juxtaposition of words is the rough layout.(didn't see how to upload spreadsheet with colors). I would like to know if anything shouldn't go where it is going and other comments. My house is on a hill and the deck overlooks the garden from above so dispersing the plants and creating a pattern will be nice.

Other details of interest:We are a family of 4. We like variety more than eating the same things. The arbor I own will have Jack Be mini Pumpkins, a flowering vine and maybe a grape one. (I live in NJ.)

See below 3 trapezoid raised beds-2 feet high, 1 central pentagon: two tiered, Back Corner in ground planting area and container ideas

Bed 1
Peas Beets
Beets Beets
Spinach Spinach Flower Beets/Spinach Spinach
Kale Spinach Chard Spinach Kale
Asparagus Kale Kale Kale Asparagus
Asparus Chard Kale Chard Asparagus

Bed 2
Pepper Eggplant* Pepper
Eggplant* Eggplant* Eggplant*
Basil Eggplant* Basil
Basil Pepper Tomato Pepper Basil
Basil* Thai Tomato Tomato Tomato Basil
Tomato Tomato Tomato Tomato Tomato

Bed 3
Bok Choi/Swiss Chard* Lettuce* Bok Choi Kale Bok Choi/Swiss Chard Lettuce* Edamame
Onion Arugala* Garlic Arugala* Onion Arugala* Onion
Arugula Lettuce Onion Lettuce* Scallions Lettuce* Arugala

In ground in back corner with some trellis:

Back Corner in ground some with trellis

Zucchini Cucumber Cucumber Patty Pan Squash*
Zucchini Patti Pan Squash

Pentagon Center: two tiers
Flower
Flower
Flower
Flower
Flower
Flower
Parsley*
Parsley*
Rosemary
Oregano
Chive
Chive*
Strawberry*
Strawberry
Strawberry
Strawberry

Containers:
Want to get a Meyer Lemon tree for center of pentagon...dwarf if possible

other: large bucket with dirt for shallots and another for potatoes and mint
Would like to try getting large bucket and attaching to chain link for zucchini to fall out of...will this work... nice effect to cover chain link in burlap and hand large pales with cascading plants...other edible plants this might work with?

Thanks for any comments! So happy to grow my knowledge and the plants!

S.
SherryM
SherryM

Back to top Go down

New Raised Beds: Branching out big time/Need to learn sooo much Empty First Time Posting...really hope some of the 64 who viewed will please advise! Thanks.

Post  SherryM 5/10/2012, 12:17 am

Thoughts on my plan are much appreciated! Thanks.
SherryM
SherryM

Back to top Go down

New Raised Beds: Branching out big time/Need to learn sooo much Empty Re: New Raised Beds: Branching out big time/Need to learn sooo much

Post  Turan 5/10/2012, 12:51 am

So the asparagus are going into the opposite points of their trapezoids, right? Those will be good places to leave them alone, I assume then.
I hope you post a pic from your deck showing it planted. This is gonna look cool Cool
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

New Raised Beds: Branching out big time/Need to learn sooo much Empty Re: New Raised Beds: Branching out big time/Need to learn sooo much

Post  littlejo 5/10/2012, 2:43 am

Looks like you are on the way to a big garden. I see that you have 5 eggplants. Do you'all eat a lot of this? I had 1 plant last yr. and still have some in the freezer.

If I can figure out the shape of a trapazoid? What are the lengths of the sides?

How big is the pentagon? Sides are equal, right?

Zucchini will grow wherever you put it, but will take over if you let it. You can train/tie to a stake and make it climb and you can trim leaves that are in the way of other plants.

I don't see any carrots or radishes. Green beans?

Looks good to me.

Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/10/2012, 10:41 am

Sherry, welcome. I'm ashamed to say that I'm too confused by your design to know what to say other than asparagus is a perennial and wherever you put them, they will be there for the next 15-20 years and get quite large.

A picture or two would certainly help.

Put your tall vining plants on the north side where you can put a trellis or two.

The numbers you can grow in a square foot are clearly defined in Mel's books. If you don't have one, then roughly: If your seed packet states to thin to 1 every 10"-12", then one per square (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts). If 8" apart I put in two diagonally. For 6" apart you can put 4 in a square. With 4" apart stick in 9 and with 2"-3" apart sow 16 seeds equally distant per square. It all depends on the final thinning.

If you are sowing leaf lettuce and some greens, that you can cut back again and again and it will regrow. I transplant 4 in a square and when they start crowding each other, I just cut one or two down to an inch above the soil line. In a couple weeks it'll start growing back quite nicely and you can cut down the other two before that happens.

You can tuck a lettuce plant or spinach under the leaves of a taller single plant like broccoli or cauliflower and the shade of that plant will keep it from bolting too early. They'll be harvested before the taller plant needs the space.

You can sow radishes between any plants and get some nice fruits in a little over a month. They, too, like the shade from a taller plant.

It looks like you'll have some good, fresh food when you are done. Good luck.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 5/10/2012, 11:18 am

Wow your garden sounds awesome, I would love to see pictures!!!!!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  SherryM 5/18/2012, 9:21 am

Thanks to you all for your thoughts. I would like to take a picture and upload it, but don't see how to do it. I tried to copy in my excel/color highlighted spreadsheet that has a visual, but it didn't copy and paste well. I did see a good online software to use for this, but it had a fee. Another site offered a plotting method, but didn't have the variety of veggies. Please advise.

Thanks for the eggplant heads up. I didn't realize extent of the yield. I will plant 2 instead (one the regular shape and the other the asian long variety). Going out to plant some more now!
New Raised Beds: Branching out big time/Need to learn sooo much 3170584802

SherryM
SherryM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down